Authorised Dealers no longer offering manual options??

Zxcvb

Hypersonic

I began to appreciate my automatic transmission

when I twisted my left foot recently

could still drive my family around

even when walking was very painful for me

:D

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged
(edited)

Too used to manual to consider switching to auto eg at traffice lights, can just rest my feet on floorboard & put in N gear but for auto, heard not advisable to put in N gear so still in D gear & you still have to use foot to press brake. Also when reversing, find manual easier to control than auto.

Will still get manual for my next car but if not might consider BMW instead [:(]

Edited by Christan

370z manual very fun,got a system that match the engine speed when you downshift.

That's nice, I learn to do it manually by tapping on the accelerator once before engaging lower gear.

• Praise 1

Im driving a manual 6-speeder now...nothing beats the feeling of entering a corner and using heel-toe to down shift..

Power wise and throttle response in manual and auto (with torque converter) is a big difference..

Yes....Im a sucker for manual cars...

Manual gear box more efficient than normal auto, torque converter.

For same engine, acceleration definitely faster.

Like feeling of climbing and exiting corner with 3rd gear.

Twincharged

Manual gear box more efficient than normal auto, torque converter.

For same engine, acceleration definitely faster.

Like feeling of climbing and exiting corner with 3rd gear.

Modern Autobox are no more slower than the manual,they 'lock-up' very fast...no more those 'slipping effect' of the older ones...

Turbocharged

There is always other choices like vans or trucks, that is if you really really love driving manual so much.

(edited)

New auto tranny technologies may cancel out manual tranny's straight line speed advantage of yesteryears, but in real world conditions there are times when human decisions are indispensable for spirited driving or getting out of s--t situations. That couple seconds taken by the computer to evaluate and decide to downshift may mean an eternity.

Of course it's not just plainly about speed but also the old fashioned joy of driving, esp for those who view cars as more than just a commuting tool. Would presuppose that most here in MCF subscribe to this.

Won't rule out having my perception changed when I enter my 40s, which is still sometime away. At the moment I do get a black face response whenever I suggest getting a manual again for my next ride, to my partner who has a 3A.

Edited by Theatreofdreams
  • Praise 1

Not dun want. The current price so ridiculously high. Furthermore the manual Subaru BRZ costs $5k more than the auto. 1st time I come across this. Usually its the other war round. I'm one who wud like to own a manual 86. Now waiting for price to drop to a level where I can afford one.

We becoming like USA, where manual cost more than auto. We are already very alike, like the women cannot drive manual, & the way I see it, soon men as well, if that has not already happening.

Turbocharged
(edited)

Just an update.

No longer offered manual option = civic, vios, jazz, impreza, lancer, forte, focus, sunny, getz, mazda2

Still offering manual option = chevrolet cruze, proton preve, proton saga, nissan almera, swift, march,

Sporty ride with manual option = opel astra opc, peugeot 308 gti, renault megane rs, focus st, fiat bravo, citroen ds3, citroen ds4, honda crz, swift sports, mitsuoka himiko, rx8, evo, subaru brz, toyota 86, 370Z, lotus elise.

The 1 and only AD offering all their models only in manual (no auto option) = Chery. [laugh]

Edited by Zxcvb

If only VW Singapore insists to bring in only manual and insists all Singapore drivers drive manual VW, their gearbox problem is solved. [laugh]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

If only VW Singapore insists to bring in only manual and insists all Singapore drivers drive manual VW, their gearbox problem is solved. [laugh]

Yep. Or at least offer a manual option lah.

This is not a manual vs auto thread, but rather why AD just don't offer the option. It's like I choosing to buy iPhone - black or white. Imagine Singapore selling only black colour, no white. But you know the factory producing the black iPhone also make the white iphone together one. So what gives??

Twincharged

Then their sales sure dropped by 70%.!

Turbocharged

New auto tranny technologies may cancel out manual tranny's straight line speed advantage of yesteryears, but in real world conditions there are times when human decisions are indispensable for spirited driving or getting out of s--t situations. That couple seconds taken by the computer to evaluate and decide to downshift may mean an eternity.

Of course it's not just plainly about speed but also the old fashioned joy of driving, esp for those who view cars as more than just a commuting tool. Would presuppose that most here in MCF subscribe to this.

Won't rule out having my perception changed when I enter my 40s, which is still sometime away. At the moment I do get a black face response whenever I suggest getting a manual again for my next ride, to my partner who has a 3A.

Why your partner gave you a black face? It's your car right? He/She can't get his/her own car to drive?

2nd Gear

enuff said

well, that's a straight line race.

real racing on track or road with other cars around might yield different outcome.

I still believe drivers have much better control over manual cars (with cluth of course) than auto.

Turbocharged

Yep. Or at least offer a manual option lah.

This is not a manual vs auto thread, but rather why AD just don't offer the option. It's like I choosing to buy iPhone - black or white. Imagine Singapore selling only black colour, no white. But you know the factory producing the black iPhone also make the white iphone together one. So what gives??

They do offer the option. You just have to special request, because it's not financially viable for them to keep in stock just for the miniscule minority who wants it.

Simple matter is, if more people actually buy manual (not just talk and no action), then there will be more manuals available. All about supply and demand issue.

↡ Advertisement