Australia: Melbourne to Adelaide Recommendations

Hi people.

I'm planning a family holiday in Australia month; a week in Melbourne & Adelaide. Has anyone got any experience spending time in Mel then, slow easy drive into Adelaide? Any good recommendation for service apartment, tourist sites and car rental?

I'm planning maybe 4 days in Mel, 3 days in Adel.

Thanks for your kind sharing [wave]:D

↡ Advertisement

Hi people.

I'm planning a family holiday in Australia month; a week in Melbourne & Adelaide. Has anyone got any experience spending time in Mel then, slow easy drive into Adelaide? Any good recommendation for service apartment, tourist sites and car rental?

For the road trip - Great Ocean Road, Mt Gambier (volcano lakes), and Coonawarra wine district if you like reds.

• Praise 1

Heard Adelaide is a damn boring place.

Just experience GOR is good enough. Ending at Port Campbell to see whatever Apostle rocks is left before more collaspe. [laugh]

Then track up north to Grampians(mountain) then to Ballarat & back to Mel.....will be a better choice. [nod]

what is "holiday in Australia month"? :huh:

anyway, i would go Tasmania instead of Adelaide [:)]

Supersonic

Hi people.

better set aside min 2 days 1 nite for the drive from mel to adel via the gt ocean rd.

I just came back from Goldcoast. Sibei nice.

I guarantee you if you only go 7 days, you still will enjoy But come back you will REGRET why nvr do 10 days.

(edited)

Great Ocean Road is a must drive. Wonderful road, although the speed limit is quite low now compared to the 1990s. However a slow drive allows you the enjoy the drive. Try driving over weekdays rather than weekends to avoid the weekend crowds. Stop by Lorne for a nice seafood meal. At Otago Peninsular (mid way.. almost to Port Campbell, you can visit the Otago Lighthouse.)

As recommended by another bro here, good idea to detour to Grampian (Halls Gap) for at least 2 day 1 night. You get to see some beautiful mountain ranges and there are a few walking trails. NOTE: drive slowly at night in the country. Kangaroos are everwhere, and if you hit one.... its gonna be a world of hurt. People don't realise how big Kangaroos actually are.

If you are staying in Victoria for a much longer time, look up Kinglake, another amazing drive. I do live in Melbourne so if you see a Subaru Liberty/Legacy with an Authentic MCF decal.. honk or say hi! ^_^

Edited by Marusho

Turbocharged

Melbourne to Adelaide is doable. Like some bros have said, is about 700km, so budget some time for that. Best is if you can find accommodation along the way (Great Ocean Road sure have), and make it a multi-day trip.

Hulo! Road Trippers!

Planned a Mel -> GOR -> Ade this coming sch holiday!

Brief dates as follows:

4 Dec - Arrive Mel before noon

5-8 Dec - Hang ard Mel (1 day at Philip Island, 1 day at Ballarat, 2 days-still planning)

9 Dec - Drive to Apollo Bay

10 Dec - Drive to Port Fairy

11 Dec - Drive to Horsham

12 Dec - Drive to Robetown

13 Dec - Drive to Adelaide

14-17 Dec - spend 4 days in Ade (1 day in Kangroo Island? TBC).

18 Dec - Depart Ade

Any must see/do to recommend in the Mel and Ade city?

Any must see/do to recommend on GOR?

Any tips  appreciated! Thanks in Advance!

(seasoned road trippers in OZ - so no worries mates!) Just suggestions on sights will do!  [bounce2]

Going Oz next month. Arrive Mel airport and depart Adel airport. So that's why the slow 700km drive.

We intended 3 weeks Melbourne Adelaide with a drive along the Great Ocean Rd.

But family circumstances mean will delay until next year.

Sing/Melbourne/Adelaide/Sing was a lot cheaper on flights than Sing/Adelaide/Melbourne/Sing.

We intended staying in Melbourne and then the Adelaide Hills or Glenelg near Adelaide after the drive and a few nights stay along the GOR.

For us there looked like there was masses to do although the missus who plans all this sort of stuff hadn't really got into the detail.

I wasn't that keen on Australia for some reason and then 2 years ago did 3 weeks in Perth and south of there and now can't wait to get back.

It's more expensive than Europe, imo, but marvellous country and seaside and the 'old' buildings really give a flavour of Australia in the 1940s and 50s.

in melbourne, can consider queen victoria market, federation square (there's a tourism centre there to pickup maps and info, there can be events such as concerts/performances in the open space esp. since its christmas season), botanic garden, and some outlet shopping.

Since you are going to philip island and GOR, suggest you try taking the queenscliff-sorrento ferry, as this allows you to go from melbourne to philip island and on to GOR without heading back to Melbourne.  It was quite enjoyable as you can view the nice scenary, enjoy the seabreeze and take a break from long driving.  I took the other way as I was driving from GOR to Philip island and melbourne was my last stop

I suppose you are going to see the penguins at Philip island.  I dont know if they still prevent visitors from taking photos when you are inside the penguin place, you might want to check.  I had to drive additional like 6 hours, stay a night at Philip island and no photos of penguins or the inside of the place.  

Also, bring lots of warm clothings, blankets even, as you will be seated by the beach facing the cold winds directly from the Antartic for 1~2 hours while waiting for the sky to turn dark before the penguins arrive.  It was summer and we all had jackets but so cold that all of us had runny nose. 

Hulo! Road Trippers!

Planned a Mel -> GOR -> Ade this coming sch holiday!

Brief dates as follows:,,

4 Dec - Arrive Mel before noon

5-8 Dec - Hang ard Mel (1 day at Philip Island, 1 day at Ballarat, 2 days-still planning)

9 Dec - Drive to Apollo Bay

10 Dec - Drive to Port Fairy

11 Dec - Drive to Horsham

12 Dec - Drive to Robetown

13 Dec - Drive to Adelaide

14-17 Dec - spend 4 days in Ade (1 day in Kangroo Island? TBC).

18 Dec - Depart Ade

Any must see/do to recommend in the Mel and Ade city?

Any must see/do to recommend on GOR?

Any tips  appreciated! Thanks in Advance!

(seasoned road trippers in OZ - so no worries mates!) Just suggestions on sights will do!  [bounce2]

We intended 3 weeks Melbourne Adelaide with a drive along the Great Ocean Rd.

But family circumstances mean will delay until next year.

Sing/Melbourne/Adelaide/Sing was a lot cheaper on flights than Sing/Adelaide/Melbourne/Sing.

We intended staying in Melbourne and then the Adelaide Hills or Glenelg near Adelaide after the drive and a few nights stay along the GOR.

For us there looked like there was masses to do although the missus who plans all this sort of stuff hadn't really got into the detail.

I wasn't that keen on Australia for some reason and then 2 years ago did 3 weeks in Perth and south of there and now can't wait to get back.

It's more expensive than Europe, imo, but marvellous country and seaside and the 'old' buildings really give a flavour of Australia in the 1940s and 50s.

maybe not so expensive now as SGD and AUD are practically on par.  

in melbourne, can consider queen victoria market, federation square (there's a tourism centre there to pickup maps and info, there can be events such as concerts/performances in the open space esp. since its christmas season), botanic garden, and some outlet shopping.

Since you are going to philip island and GOR, suggest you try taking the queenscliff-sorrento ferry, as this allows you to go from melbourne to philip island and on to GOR without heading back to Melbourne.  It was quite enjoyable as you can view the nice scenary, enjoy the seabreeze and take a break from long driving.  I took the other way as I was driving from GOR to Philip island and melbourne was my last stop

I suppose you are going to see the penguins at Philip island.  I dont know if they still prevent visitors from taking photos when you are inside the penguin place, you might want to check.  I had to drive additional like 6 hours, stay a night at Philip island and no photos of penguins or the inside of the place.  

Also, bring lots of warm clothings, blankets even, as you will be seated by the beach facing the cold winds directly from the Antartic for 1~2 hours while waiting for the sky to turn dark before the penguins arrive.  It was summer and we all had jackets but so cold that all of us had runny nose. 

maybe not so expensive now as SGD and AUD are practically on par.  

Thanks for the tips!

Giving the ferry a miss. The accommodation has all been fixed.

Bought AUD @ 1.01 today. Happy mate. Lol.

Where for 1.01?

Could only find 1.013 thus far

Thanks for the tips!

Giving the ferry a miss. The accommodation has all been fixed.

Bought AUD @ 1.01 today. Happy mate. Lol.

↡ Advertisement