Company or Career?

Kyrios

Turbocharged

Anyone here faced with the dilemma that your specific job function is made redundant and you are given 2 options..ship out or take up another totally different job scope in the same company?

Do you venture out to look for similar jobs which you are trained for in order to stick to your career progression or do you stay in the company to do a totally different role?

Not that it happens to me but could be..

Company or career? Which will you choose? I think most bros will say career but what if the company happens to be the best you worked for so far and didnt abuse you like other previous companies did?

↡ Advertisement

Anyone here faced with the dilemma that your specific job function is made redundant and you are given 2 options..ship out or take up another totally different job scope in the same company?

Do you venture out to look for similar jobs which you are trained for in order to stick to your career progression or do you stay in the company to do a totally different role?

Company or career? Which will you choose? I think most bros will say career but what if the company happens to be the best you worked for so far and didnt abuse you like other previous companies did?

if I'm in your position...I take up whatever is given to me first...then start to look around....once good opportunity....fry them cuttlefish...simple as that..

Supercharged

How old are you bro?

If young and no commitment, then any way is OK. If older and with commitment, I would suggest you stay in the company, and take up a different job scope.... (IMO only).

Turbocharged

How old are you bro?

If young and no commitment, then any way is OK. If older and with commitment, I would suggest you stay in the company, and take up a different job scope.... (IMO only).

Unker mid thirties...the reason asking is because so far this company still ok...not a lot of backstabbers and not much abuse by management unlike my previous jobs..not much politics also..................so hesitant to leave an ok environment..

but hesitant to do something totally different as that will put a blip on my resume..

take up different scope is good mah, let you master the whole process....

last time I in finance, go warehouse, kitchen, logistic, HR, marketing .... humpalang try before :D :D

Hypersonic

nothing wrong staying and having a new role

if you are gaining new experience

is called reprofiling. Remember this, the jobs are the same, but the boss, makes the difference in your stay in a co.

Go for the change. u never know, may be a good thing

Supersonic
(edited)

Company. It's hard to find a great company that doesn't take you for granted. The fact that they're going out of their way to find another position for you (hopefully with the same terms) means that they're committed to their staff. In these times, that's a rarity.

You can always ship out later if you find the new position very distasteful. The career track is always there outside. But if you burn your bridges with this company, you might live to regret it.

But you haven't mentioned the most important thing - will you be answering to a new boss/supervisor? And are you happy about that (what's the word on him/her)? If you're sticking with the same immediate boss, how are relations between you two?

Remember: you join because of the company, but you leave because of the boss. Very simple, but quite profound. If you anticipate a change for the worse in your relationship with the boss, then getting out becomes more attractive.

Edited by Turboflat4

Company. It's hard to find a great company that doesn't take you for granted. The fact that they're going out of their way to find another position for you (hopefully with the same terms) means that they're committed to their staff. In these times, that's a rarity.

You can always ship out later if you find the new position very distasteful. The career track is always there outside. But if you burn your bridges with this company, you might live to regret it.

But you haven't mentioned the most important thing - will you be answering to a new boss/supervisor? And are you happy about that (what's the word on him/her)? If you're sticking with the same immediate boss, how are relations between you two?

Remember: you join because of the company, but you leave because of the boss. Very simple, but quite profound. If you anticipate a change for the worse in your relationship with the boss, then getting out becomes more attractive.

We think alike bro. That is my working mantra too...... [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Supercharged

last time I in finance, go warehouse, kitchen, logistic, HR, marketing .... humpalang try before :D :D

You go kitchen do what? Make kopi ??? [laugh]

Supercharged

Unker mid thirties...the reason asking is because so far this company still ok...not a lot of backstabbers and not much abuse by management unlike my previous jobs..not much politics also..................so hesitant to leave an ok environment..

but hesitant to do something totally different as that will put a blip on my resume..

Then look at the industry. Is your company in a sunset industry or an expanding one with good future? If the latter, can consider to stay on....

company and bosses...

rather be big fish in small pond than small fish in big pond.

unless tell me is few thousands difference a month to worth the jump

Turbocharged

Company unless I hate the new boss.

The knowledge and familiarity of the company and colleagues around you is priceless. The credibility that you have built, and mutual respect that was given by your peers are all extremely valuable. Promotions and opportunities are given based on this set of local knowledge and network......not merely performance as most bosses will make you believe.

When you join a new company, you have to rebuild that all over again.

If you are very young...sure go for career...but when you are into forties, better stick with the company.

Turbocharged

Company unless I hate the new boss.

The knowledge and familiarity of the company and colleagues around you is priceless. The credibility that you have built, and mutual respect that was given by your peers are all extremely valuable. Promotions and opportunities are given based on this set of local knowledge and network......not merely performance as most bosses will make you believe.

When you join a new company, you have to rebuild that all over again.

If you are very young...sure go for career...but when you are into forties, better stick with the company.

ok looks like most of the bros advocate company..yeah mid thirties difficult to compete with young FTs outside.....so maybe should stay put.. [:p]

↡ Advertisement