Company or Career?

Kyrios

Turbocharged

Stay in company first if there is no compelling reason to leave.

Look for a suitable opportunity and change company.

↡ Advertisement

Anyone here faced with the dilemma that your specific job function is made redundant and you are given 2 options..ship out or take up another totally different job scope in the same company?

Do you venture out to look for similar jobs which you are trained for in order to stick to your career progression or do you stay in the company to do a totally different role?

Not that it happens to me but could be..

Company or career? Which will you choose? I think most bros will say career but what if the company happens to be the best you worked for so far and didnt abuse you like other previous companies did?

Do they offer u retrenchment package?

Turbocharged

Anyone here faced with the dilemma that your specific job function is made redundant and you are given 2 options..ship out or take up another totally different job scope in the same company?

Do you venture out to look for similar jobs which you are trained for in order to stick to your career progression or do you stay in the company to do a totally different role?

Company or career? Which will you choose? I think most bros will say career but what if the company happens to be the best you worked for so far and didnt abuse you like other previous companies did?

Accept their offer and change first. Maybe you will like the new role.

If you accept, then don't like it and complain, they can't blame you, because they asked you to change, and you are doing them a favour by accepting - that's how it appears! [laugh]

Seriously though, change job scope in a company, though can be disorientating, is actually a good sign in some cases. For those earmarked for higher management, they will actually rotate you through various departments and different job scopes to test you in different roles. Succeed in each one, and you'll quickly be moved out and up at the same time. Just make things happen and no need to deal with later repercussions [laugh]

Turbocharged

Accept their offer and change first. Maybe you will like the new role.

If you accept, then don't like it and complain, they can't blame you, because they asked you to change, and you are doing them a favour by accepting - that's how it appears! [laugh]

Seriously though, change job scope in a company, though can be disorientating, is actually a good sign in some cases. For those earmarked for higher management, they will actually rotate you through various departments and different job scopes to test you in different roles. Succeed in each one, and you'll quickly be moved out and up at the same time. Just make things happen and no need to deal with later repercussions [laugh]

i agree sia ... for all you know .. you'll excel at the new job and open up doors. if in 3-6mths cant tahan.. find new job bro ... but a good company is really, really hard to find!!

thinking you very safe lah. worse come to worse go become RDE? lol

I think it also depends on what industry you are in like the other bro mention, if it's a sunset industry, changing scope might be a good as you get to handle other stuff.

If it's a booming or niche industry, you might want to look at the career instead as it's where you can make the fullest out of yourself. Also have to look at 10 or 20 years down the road whether you still wanna work in this industry or not before making any decision.

I'm currently in another type of dilemma, where my company and boss is good, but it's a sunset industry in SG.

Most of my customer are at JB and I'm like stuck there. It's not that bad but I find myself more in a cut and paste job rather than using technical skills as compare to my previous job. Still waiting for them to assign S.E.A countries to me but at the same time I'm looking into a career switch back to my first industry as I can't really see where I will stand 10 or 20 years down the road... -_-