Employer being fair or unfair to employee?

Yewheng

Twincharged

post-14834-1369538072_thumb.jpg

Summary.

Employer fine $1 per every minute she late for work even after he give her allowances to start work at 9.30 instead of 9am and she still being frequent late for work.

Than she lost an excel file she is working on and she was told to backup their work but she didn't and thus deduct 70% of her.. pay.

Under contract terms of her 1yr contract, she need to pay back 3 months salary should she leave company in her contract terms.

And employer refused to pay her whole month of march because she was absent without leave for 2 days.

So is employer being fair to employee in this incident that happened.

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged
(edited)

This type of employee.....also asking for it

This is what I feel too, but the question is what is fair and what is not fair ? I mean sure have this type of employee, so as a boss what would you guys have done?

Edited by Yewheng

Turbocharged
(edited)

Summary.

Employer fine $1 per every minute she late for work even after he give her allowances to start work at 9.30 instead of 9am and she still being frequent late for work.

Than she lost an excel file she is working on and she was told to backup their work but she didn't and thus deduct 70% of her.. pay.

Under contract terms of her 1yr contract, she need to pay back 3 months salary should she leave company in her contract terms.

And employer refused to pay her whole month of march because she was absent without leave for 2 days.

So is employer being fair to employee in this incident that happened.

Let me try this one based on what i know of local labour laws:

1) The $1/min fine can be done with mutual agreement from the start but it has to be paid cash....it cannot be deducted from payroll. Not uncommon for employers to do this, and the 'fine" goes into an employee fund for future team bonding events. Actually I did this before for my high ranking managers (directors & above) during management meeting. Anyone late more than 5 minutes for the meeting, $50 cash straight to the staff kitty. Consider that as sponsorship from bosses to the staff events.

2) This one employer has no right

3) Yes, if it is in the employment contract, then it is mutually agreed from the start. So not unfair for employers to claim that 3 months

4) depends how much the employer has deducted. If she absent without leave for 2 days, then nothing wrong if the employer deduct 2 days salary from her.

Overall, I don't think the employer is unfair. Infact, think the company has been tolerant. Even give further grace period due to her lateness. If I am the employer, I would have terminated her for all her lateness, absence without leave, carelessness in doing her work (lost a file). From attitude to performance, there is nothing that could justify keeping her.

Edited by Icedbs

strawberries nowadays really dun appreciate when they get a job

and hte callous attitude they possess...like hte world owes them a living.

she deserves it

The company can terminate her but cannot enforce all the fines and deductions if not stated in the contract.

strawberries nowadays really dun appreciate when they get a job

and hte callous attitude they possess...like hte world owes them a living.

she deserves it

Seem to be hitting the strawberry generation very hard these days huh.

Again, my mentality is not to paint the picture with one single brush. These people are outliers and there are the determined and hardworking ones.

It's either you ask the employees to resign (yes, it's a trend now, instead of termination) or continue to put up with their nonsense. You can't impose fines, salary deduction and those shady practices.

Seem to be hitting the strawberry generation very hard these days huh.

Again, my mentality is not to paint the picture with one single brush. These people are outliers and there are the determined and hardworking ones.

As much as i still believe that there are the hardowrking ones, there seem to be more of those like in the newspaper, cf prev years. I never heard of such instances, etc before, but am hearing more now.

Even the interns i see, no comments

Get real. The word "fair" dun exist. Company hire employee to do a job, fxxk it up still want what? Is that fair to the employer?

Already sign contract, still want to nego "fairness". In the first place might as well dun sign. I wonder who is the employer?

The company has by reason the right to penalize her, but morally their conduct is questionable.

The employee is apparently unable to cope with her work, so why retain her and continue to punish her over a bad recruitment.

for AWOL for 2 days, the employer should terminate her and claim back the 3 months that the contract deems. If cannot pay, then get lawyer to claim it, but that would be wasting $$$ to claim the pittens. I think she may be earning at most $1800

(edited)

I have seen it before. Whenever important meeting/important day/important whatever some ppl go AWOL. Given responsibility yet chut this kinda stunt.

Ask your father open company lah. Do whatever you want.

Even if the boss let the employee come in at 10am she will still be late. Leopard cannot change its spot.

Edited by Watwheels

Turbocharged

It's either you ask the employees to resign (yes, it's a trend now, instead of termination) or continue to put up with their nonsense. You can't impose fines, salary deduction and those shady practices.

Fines can be impose, provided mutually agreed, reasonable and in the form of cash. Cannot though payroll deductions.

Payroll deductions can be done only for absence without leave or staff ask to take unpaid leave due to cost cutting (especially during recession where taking unpaid leaves is better than taking pay cut)

Turbocharged
(edited)

for AWOL for 2 days, the employer should terminate her and claim back the 3 months that the contract deems. If cannot pay, then get lawyer to claim it, but that would be wasting $$$ to claim the pittens. I think she may be earning at most $1800

Law specify 3 days AWOL in a row to terminate somebody. 2 days AWOL not enough to terminate her. Also, terminate her cannot claim 3 months. To claim 3 months, the staff herself must choose to resign (I suppose the employment contract should be written that way since that's typical for such an agreement)

Edited by Icedbs

Turbocharged

Strawberry likes instant gratification. No resilience. A strawberry hooker will probably expect her client to squirt after 1 min of blow. Ok not such a good example but still true :D

(edited)

It's not a trend. If you fire ppl you have to give severance package. If employees leave on their own or asked to, employers dun have to give extra cent. Why must the boss give extra to bad workers?

Ppl coming in late is a bad habit. If there's isn't some basic rules & penalties in place ppl will take it for granted. Whoa lau, my colleague comes in at 10am boss never say anything, I also follow. Ppl should be ashamed of themselves for having such bad work attitude and not blame the company for penalizing them. If they are good in the first place, you won't see this kinda thing. Many times ppl spoil their own market.

Edited by Watwheels

Ppl coming in late is a bad habit. If there's isn't some basic rules & penalties in place ppl will take it for granted. Whoa lau, my colleague comes in at 10am boss never say anything, I also follow. Ppl should be ashamed of themselves for having such bad work attitude and not blame the company for penalizing them. If they are good in the first place, you won't see this kinda thing. Many times ppl spoil their own market.

This one is manager no balls to manage their subordinates.

Most managers here no balls and no skills to manage down, but super skilful to suck up to top management and ang moh.

↡ Advertisement