New licensing scheme for news websites that reach 50,000 peo

Scion

Turbocharged

shhhh...dont go and tell darryn [sly] secret one

i am sure he dont understand [grin][laugh]

Simi hear you talk I ebery time catch no ball one,

Serious note though - I am also curious what this means for those popular forums and blogs.

What if they "share" news or links from other sites? And what constitutes current affairs? Does it include entertainment news? Food reviews? (what if the food reviews include other relevant news as well?

It seems to introduce a snakepit to me.

What I am most worried about though is the $50k deposit, and how they are going to collect and maintain this.

As I have already said - I don't believe for a second that only 10 sites fall under their guidelines, to me, the most glaring omission right now would have to be TOC

↡ Advertisement

Simi hear you talk I ebery time catch no ball one,

Serious note though - I am also curious what this means for those popular forums and blogs.

What if they "share" news or links from other sites? And what constitutes current affairs? Does it include entertainment news? Food reviews? (what if the food reviews include other relevant news as well?

It seems to introduce a snakepit to me.

What I am most worried about though is the $50k deposit, and how they are going to collect and maintain this.

As I have already said - I don't believe for a second that only 10 sites fall under their guidelines, to me, the most glaring omission right now would have to be TOC

relag lar

this one is aim at those msm one lah

you know when you are operating a msm, you must work ethics lah

that time stomp anyhow bullshiit the mrt, cannot what

so ah gong come and control all these msm liao

non-msm doesnt seem to be affected bec its is hard to hit 50k readership :huh:

Turbocharged

relag lar

this one is aim at those msm one lah

you know when you are operating a msm, you must work ethics lah

that time stomp anyhow bullshiit the mrt, cannot what

so ah gong come and control all these msm liao

non-msm doesnt seem to be affected bec its is hard to hit 50k readership :huh:

Don't tink aimed as MSM

1. MSM (ie - SPH) $50k deposit is not even pocket change, they don't care

2. Their articles are shared across to print - the print already tightly regulated so the articles are "high quality"

I don't believe the regulator is targeting them - would believe it is more the guerilla style and the "less subservient" - the likes of google, insing, TOC etc etc

And 50k readership, is really not very many - some FB pages for example have over 100k sg fans (like courts)

Don't tink aimed as MSM

1. MSM (ie - SPH) $50k deposit is not even pocket change, they don't care

2. Their articles are shared across to print - the print already tightly regulated so the articles are "high quality"

I don't believe the regulator is targeting them - would believe it is more the guerilla style and the "less subservient" - the likes of google, insing, TOC etc etc

And 50k readership, is really not very many - some FB pages for example have over 100k sg fans (like courts)

relag lah

how to control?

property market hard to control

car market also hard to control

geylang [crazy]

how to control internet :huh:

Turbocharged

relag lah

how to control?

geylang [crazy]

That's the whole point -

It seems a stewput move. Those that are trying to do a good and honest business will get "pinged" - those that are "not liked" by the authorities can be caused problems, and those truly nasty and subversive won't be affected at all.

Seems a totally irrational way to go about things

when your boss see the place dirty dirty, ask you to sweep the floor, you cannot tell the boss no use one because sure got littlebugs go and anyhow throw thing correct

so what you do

you sweep the floor lah

whether it works or not, the road sweeper care meh

boss say sweep, just sweep lar [laugh][laugh]

relag lah

how to control?

geylang [crazy]

Aiyo , must see money flow which way lah . Car , property , money flow into gov coffer sure is difficult to control . Internet , mostly is anti gov , die die much curb until they close shop . These anti gov website mostly non profit , how to pay 50K of security bond , later kena confiscated for posting wrong thing how ?

Aiyo , must see money flow which way lah . Car , property , money flow into gov coffer sure is difficult to control . Internet , mostly is anti gov , die die much curb until they close shop . These anti gov website mostly non profit , how to pay 50K of security bond , later kena confiscated for posting wrong thing how ?

+1... so THEY using the same old tactics to license, sue, confiscate to scare u into submission lo...

Many moons till now still use same old tactic.. cannot think outside the BOX anymore???

No matter how THEY clamp, sure got way to wiggle around one... [laugh]

(edited)

every little counts.

whatever tptb do now, will be recorded for eternity or till the next three years.

why the mrt man had a lack of vocab and only manage to string several sentences with a single word "racists"?

He learnt well through the years.

Focus on one point, drum it over and over again. With perseverance, he may just get it through.

Just when we had a locally bred director winning this nation's first camera d'or in cannes, and we have this news as an odd company.

Excellent timing, Yaacob and his pals.

Edited by Oblong

(edited)

TOC still not that common. U give a primary sch Kid yahoo he knows. Can't say the same for TOC

Edited by Mllcg

How are THEY going to enforce this licensing esp if the websites are hosted overseas and the web master is overseas too?? Ban the HTML?? Lol... Sammy heng ah! [sweatdrop]

Talk only, can't enforce = TOTAL ZERO! 000000000000000000000000000000000000 !!

No wonder the gov keep complaining Sinkies productivity low. The one who came out with this idea is no better, in fact is the worst.

Wasting so many productive hours coming out with this crap proposal instead of some other better useful ones.

(edited)

haha yahoo tio

the rest is ah gong brand [laugh][laugh]

but how come all the anti pap website boh tio :huh: you know like simi tremeuritus lah, real singapore lah, edmw, sammyboy lah [confused]

It's not too difficult to get the rest of the sites to comply and they will willingly comply.

Later, the rules will definitely be modified to include blogs and by then, it has become a norm that all these people will lan lan comply or accept.

Among the 10, 9 of them will accept it without a "fight".

Edited by Bystander50

No wonder the gov keep complaining Sinkies productivity low. The one who came out with this idea is no better, in fact is the worst.

Wasting so many productive hours coming out with this crap proposal instead of some other better useful ones.

No la.. hours not wasted ma... the Scholars will surely have prepared Tok Kong PowerPoint slides to impress their masters that this hare-brained licensing scheme must be implemented... now approved liao, the Scholars score points liao lo.... [:p]

MCF not in list lah

Not yet only.

Just having this regulation can potentially allow Govt to shut up any website they so wish. The regulation gives them this option to "punish" any websites that post stuff that are anti-establishment, just having such an option is already a bad thing. We already have our MSM which is their de-facto mouthpiece, we do need alternative media to air differing views, even if such views do not cast Govt is a positive light.

It is only through open debate and sharing of ideas that society matures and progress. Instead of doing that, they are moving us in the direction of North Korea.

This regulation is not so much a revenue thing, what is 50K to Govt compared to the amount of money that Temasek & GIC gamble with everyday?

It's more of a regulation to give them additional bite in the face of mounting displeasure propagated through alternative media, a fight which they realise they are loosing despite having control of MSM and some say employing their own IB to counter all such anti-establishment voices. That is why this desperate measure to regulate.

Carmart and HWZ provide online news meh?

Anyway it specify that the website provide online local news that target local readers, foreign online news may not be included. I think yahoo news and google news should be included though, however, most of the local news in their website were actually from local source such as CNA or ST, hence not an independent reporting.

The regulations will be worded in such a way, it can put many forums, whether hosted locally or overseas under scope. You have to understand, Govt is stupid, but not that stupid.

↡ Advertisement