The stray dogs at Bukit Brown

Scion

Turbocharged
(edited)

i was at the place mentioned in the article last year, while exploring Bukit Brown

the pack of dogs approached me, snarling with low growls... i was a little scared but i din run, i walked away calmly

the dogs sensed no hostility in me and left afterwards

this gan cheong spider ang moh ran and injured himself... and now, he wanted the authority to round up the dogs :angry:

please leave them alone... [:(] [:(]

941409_10200737121342353_223774813_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=556...e=3&theater

Save Our StreetDogs SOSD

A newspaper report (http://goo.gl/WMFg5) inthe Straits Times today described how an American citizen, was chased by stray dogs at Bukit Brown Cemetary when cycling, falling off his bicycle and sustaining minor scratches (scratches, mind you, not dog bites). He demanded: "I would like to see the authorities round up the dogs. You can't just let wild dogs run around terrorising people, so the AVA should try to catch them."

The report prompted me to make a trip down to Bukit Brown personally to assess the situation. True enough, there were some stray dogs, like the ones in the picture here. But unlike what was reported in the dramatised report, the dogs were timid, shying away from anyone who approached them.

The man who works with tombstones told me a heart-wrenching story of how the Brown coloured boy behind was the sole survivor when his pack was poisoned by dog catchers 5 years ago. His family members all ate the poisoned food out of hunger, and died horrible, slow deaths; but this old man was the only clever one who did not let his hunger claim his life.

The beautiful black coloured boy on the right was hungry, injured and limping. All he wanted was to survive and to have sometime to fill his stomach.

"So many people come here during Ching Ming every year", yet none of them complain. If the dogs are aggressive, they would have attacked years ago. Why is the ang mo (caucasian) like that? The dogs are innocent, why does he want them to die?" another lady caretaker pleaded in Mandarin.

It is heart-wrenching to see our canine friends suffer, and lose their lives over Singaporeans' (and expats) intolerance over anything and everything, and lack of respect for life.

One fall off a bicycle, and 13 lives may be lost.

Many of the dogs I saw today were friendly and approached humans. Those, I told the workers there, are the ones in danger. The dog catchers do not care if they are the ones responsible. They will catch as many as they can for money. This is how AVA pays them.

I passed them SOSD's contact. And told them is they see anyone using cruel methods to harm the poor dogs, or if they need help in any way.

Over the past 2 days, we have seen a dog brutally hung to death in Bukit Batok, and another hit & run case we had to put to sleep.

Enough is enough, Singapore.

Live and Let Live.

~Dr Siew Tuck Wah

Edited by Scion
↡ Advertisement

So, don't always comprain Singaporeans like to small things kpkb, ask gahment for help. This ang moh lagi worse hor. Ask him to go back to his homeland and sure there the dogs are more friendly, and if you fall from a bike, no injuries. [laugh]

Supersonic

The dogs are Singaporean. The ang moh is not so he should bugger off!

Lol, how you know the dogs are s'poreans?! :blink: Anyway, sometimes these stray dogs if in large number, really might pose a danger to passer-by.

Turbocharged

I think the dog pack chased the ang moh down because he clearly displayed "prey" behaviour, i.e. running away from the pack. Absolute no-no, because the pack then reverts to instinct and start chasing.

If he had stopped and faced down the pack, he would be surprised to see that the pack will usually stop at a distance away, continue barking, but not advance any further.

We are taller, larger than the individual dog, so to some extent, they will be intimidated.

Of course, this does not apply to rabid dogs ... run like hell!!! [laugh]

Turbocharged

i mean come on, it's not as if the stray dogs are roaming on public roads and posing a threat to the people

they are already struggling to survive in an abandoned cemetery, eating leftover food (no food if there are no offerings)

you kay kiang go into their territories, injured yourself and now you want all of the dogs to be killed

- "You can judge a nation by the way it treats its animals" (Mahatma Gandhi)

So, don't always comprain Singaporeans like to small things kpkb, ask gahment for help. This ang moh lagi worse hor. Ask him to go back to his homeland and sure there the dogs are more friendly, and if you fall from a bike, no injuries. [laugh]

ah yah, ang mo got many types

some wanna save animal, some wanna get rid of them [laugh]

check this out!!! Ang Mo Gao saving Lao Gao [laugh][laugh]

I cannot decide which one I dislike more - dogs or cyclists.

But I know I truly dislike rabid dog lovers and fervent spandex cyclists.

Though I like dogs chasing cyclists.

I am confused on this one. [laugh]

Supercharged

i was at the place mentioned in the article last year, while exploring Bukit Brown

the pack of dogs approached me, snarling with low growls... i was a little scared but i din run, i walked away calmly

the dogs sensed no hostility in me and left afterwards

this gan cheong spider ang moh ran and injured himself... and now, he wanted the authority to round up the dogs :angry:

please leave them alone... [:(] [:(]

On foot is very different on bicycle.... dogs like to chase down cyclist and ignore ppl who is walking... mind you it is very scary when a pack of dogs come after you barking with so much aggression when you are all alone...

(edited)

They just chasing the FT away... stupid american

American barge into their home of cos get chased out la... PUI!

Edited by Mockngbrd

Supersonic
(edited)

On foot is very different on bicycle.... dogs like to chase down cyclist and ignore ppl who is walking... mind you it is very scary when a pack of dogs come after you barking with so much aggression when you are all alone...

Maybe stray dogs like to chase after cyclists and runners?! [rolleyes] People who are walking maybe depends on the dogs mood?! [:p] Sometimes even you are not hostile or running away from the dogs, they can also come chasing after you when you walk past them. [sweatdrop]

Edited by 13177

(edited)

Maybe stray dogs like to chase after cyclists and runners?! [rolleyes] People who are walking maybe depends on the dogs mood?! [:p] Sometimes even you are not hostile or running away from the dogs, they can also come chasing after you when you walk past them. [sweatdrop]

They smell your fear so they chase u. Actually dogs are very very good at reading body language. you show abit fear only gg.

Edited by Mockngbrd

Turbocharged

yep, but like the ang moh said himself, when he fell down lying on the ground, the dogs did not attack him... instead they ran away when he screamed for help

so i'd think the ang moh kalang kabut in the first place

Supercharged

yep, but like the ang moh said himself, when he fell down lying on the ground, the dogs did not attack him... instead they ran away when he screamed for help

so i'd think the ang moh kalang kabut in the first place

local stray dogs are like that maybe.... once you stop and face them square off they will clam down... but the problem is how to stop them from chasing after cyclist in the 1st place... but i doubt AVA will do anything if they did not really attack anyone...

↡ Advertisement