How much is too much power for street?

Strudel-

How much is too much power for street?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. How much is too much power for street?

• < 100whp
    • 100whp to 199whp
    • 200whp to 299whp
    • 300whp to 399whp
    • 400whp to 499whp
    • 500whp to 600whp
    • > 600whp

(edited)

Looking at many of the obese cars around, you put 2 rolls royce trent 1000 engines also not powerful enough. [laugh]

A typical car weighs 1,200 kgs and can only carry a load of 500 kgs max. This is not even 50% of the vehicle's weight. Gross inefficiency!

Edited by Kangadrool
↡ Advertisement

Depends on which part of the rev range the power and torque is made. Big torque at low rpm makes for the most relaxing drive on our roads.

It's not really a big deal when you consider all the people out day riding 1000cc and above sportbikes on a daily basis, and those things outperform almost anything below the hyper exotics. The average modern 1000cc sportbike is putting out around 160 whp in a package that weighs around 200kg. That's around 800 whp/ton, excluding rider. If those people can do it on a daily basis, what's a 500whp car?

yeah [thumbsup]

what u mention is abt Diavel sportbikes performance

119kW (165hp) / 205kg (dry Weight)

a more sexier/powerful spec superbike for those unfamiliar with superbikes

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/superbike/1199..._r/tech_spec.do

ducati 1199

143kW (195hp)/ 165kg (dry weight)

This has to agree with u

Control over power

For me Sg road 150-300 bhp is enuff till enuff

Cfm can ever outrun a no control driver with a 500 bhp car

Haha

then again, a stock car that can produce 500bhp normally are very easily control with all the technology in it ^_^ compare with other "normal stock car"

• Praise 1

(edited)

Sorry cannot answer you on this. Enough for me is when I step the accelerator it goes smoothly effortlessly. Slam on the accelerator, it must "chiong" and not retard for a moment or a long moment. If not, if a 450hp car "jio" me on the lights, I feel I need 550hp and on and on. [laugh]

Anyway, normal cars it should range around 100hp to 200hp depending on its size. For sports car, minimum have to be 500hp and above.

Edited by Renegade777

Supersonic

Ps ps whats whp ??

whp = wheel horsepower. The "real world" power generated by the wheels against the ground. Generally much lower than the brake horsepower (see next), because of parasitic losses in the entire drivetrain. The losses are lowest for FWD - front wheel drive, higher for RWD and really quite significant (25% or more) for AWD.

bhp = brake horsepower. The "actual" power generated at the engine crankshaft. Purely a function of the thermodynamic efficiency of the engine. This is what car manufacturers always quote, but you can almost never measure this yourself. The usual dynamometer studies only measure whp then extrapolate (through various inexact (and frankly, rubbish) conversions) the bhp.

I don't know if you realised it but when you wrote "ps", that's also a power related term. ps is the unit of "metric horsepower" in that it's very close (but just slightly smaller) than (imperial) hp. kW = kilowatt is the actual metric unit for power, and it's a much larger unit than hp or ps.

Supersonic
So even though the power is "wasted" also doesnt matter?

Of course it matters, which is what my post was all about. If a car has enough usable torque for street situations, then the more power the better. In this case, there's no downside.

(edited)

Avg income more than 10k per mth, at least 250hp than enough.

More than 100k per mth, at least 500hp than enough.

Abg joe, less than 2k wll say 100hp will do.

Nvr ending la. hw to compare?

No wonder Porker's / turboflat's / hubwee's car so powerful. [idea]

Thanks for enlightening [rolleyes]

Edited by Throttle2

Turbocharged
(edited)

yeah [thumbsup]

what u mention is abt Diavel sportbikes performance

119kW (165hp) / 205kg (dry Weight)

a more sexier/powerful spec superbike for those unfamiliar with superbikes

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/superbike/1199..._r/tech_spec.do

ducati 1199

143kW (195hp)/ 165kg (dry weight)

Yes, but i was quoting wet weight which averages around 200kg for the superbikes. Wet weight of the diavel is closer to 240kg. Dry weight is nonsense figures because manufacturers have all kinds of funny tricks to bring this figure down (no engine oil/coolant/brake fluid/clutch fluid/fork oil/etc, no/empty battery). Also the power figures kW/hp are at the crank, i was talking whp.

Wet weight/kerb weight = indicate total bike weight with all operating consumable liquids and a fuel tank filled to 90% of capacity (as per EC standard 93/93).

ps. The diavel is a cruiser. For a cruiser it handles pretty damn good and is pretty damn quick, but it's no sportbike.

Edited by Myxilplix

Its more accurate to talk power to weight ratio.

To me, any car that can do 5 to 7 seconds 0-100 will be the limit of streetability, both for cost of running, wear and tear, and reliability.

At this power bracket, four driven wheels is preferred, or at least RWD.

Cars that suit this criteria of mine generally have about 150-200hp per tonne, and at least 2.5 litres capacity.

Any amount of horse power in the wrong hands can kill... So, picanto and QQ are both dangerous to me.

Any amount of horse power in the wrong hands can kill... So, picanto and QQ are both dangerous to me.

But more powerful car encourage people to break the speed limit & law more, & drive harder, & faster. This is especially true when one are younger, when you are green, & you have the delusion that if you drive faster, you are a better driver. Personal experience.

When you get older, you will (hopefully) be more responsible, even behind a huge vehicles like trucks, or fast car.

For turbo cars if ur running wif big turbos wif massive turbo lag vs a stock turbo i rather choose the stock one for its responsiveness. Given ur car got 800whp but only starts to spool at 5k rpm oso no use. Those small turbos will be at the next light waiting for u already. Lol

I agree on this one.

In my opinion, I see no purpose in this poll...power without control is nothing....as long the driver can control it with absolute confidence and have a sense of social responsibility by not creating a hazard situation on the road.....one can even drive a bat mobile....is about the driver... not the car...

I concur with you on this.

I m driving mid engine rear wheel drive with 140hp. Weight of the car is less than 1k kg. It is fun to drive in SG.

What car is that. Copen?