High mileage car

Zenson_ong

Neutral Newbie

I would like to buy a 06 Honda civic 1.8A from my friend as the price he is offering me is below the price offered by dealers. However, the mileage is abt 165000km as he travel to Malaysia quite often. So should I buy from my friend or look for other cars?

I am worried that the auto gearbox would kaput as I heard that the lifespan of auto gearbox is quite short and I am not sure if my friend do servicing regularly.

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

find out how much to overhaul the whole car including new gearbox

if cost of all repairs less than your savings buying direct, then buy from him

don't count on friend friend kind of thinking when buying, just buy it based purely on maths. this way your friendship still remains

and if the car no need repairs in the end , consider it your good fortune

Turbocharged

I would like to buy a 06 Honda civic 1.8A from my friend as the price he is offering me is below the price offered by dealers. However, the mileage is abt 165000km as he travel to Malaysia quite often. So should I buy from my friend or look for other cars?

I am worried that the auto gearbox would kaput as I heard that the lifespan of auto gearbox is quite short and I am not sure if my friend do servicing regularly.

Thanks

My car also '06 and currently has 243k ...

Gearbox no problems nor any hint of problems...

And if he travel KL a lot it is "easy miles".

Get an AA inspection done and see what they say

165,000/7=23,000 per year ...... about average if you are looking for a car of that age.

At least that you know that it is the "true mileage" rather than from a car dealer selling a lady teacher, seldom use, low tweaked mileage of 80,000 km.

Test drive the car and see how you feel about the car.

Thanks

Look for other cars bro. 165k km and got 7 years already sure got a lot of problems one. You want 2ndhand is better you take max a 5 year old car with max of about 60-75k km on it. Safer and less taiji lo.

Thanks

06 car means approx 3 more years of COE, if the car condition is OK and the price is good, can hoot!

My mid 06 car has 140k km , when I bought it in 2009, she has only 35k km. :wacko:

Turbocharged

Look for other cars bro. 165k km and got 7 years already sure got a lot of problems one. You want 2ndhand is better you take max a 5 year old car with max of about 60-75k km on it. Safer and less taiji lo.

What do you call a lot of problems? At 243,000 km all I have done is replace engine mounts

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Anyone here knows how much is it to overhaul the gearbox? Or how much is a reconditioned gearbox in case the gearbox kaput.

Anyway, my friend is selling his civic to me at abt 38k. It is registered in sep 06. Is it reasonable?

Edited by Zenson_ong

Anyone here knows how much is it to overhaul the gearbox? Or how much is a reconditioned gearbox in case the gearbox kaput.

Anyway, my friend is selling his civic to me at abt 38k. It is registered in sep 06. Is it reasonable?

y not ask your friend find out how much he can get from dealer now and you add another 4-5k to that? i am positive that price is still lesser den 38k and your friend get another 4-5k more compared to selling to dealer. if your "friend" still want 38k from you, i think he wana too much from a "friend".

having said that, at 165,000km, it's only consider "old" in sg context, to many in other countries, its still pretty "new". and there is a reason y hondas n toyotas have better resale value compared to others. if the price is fair, get the car check up, xfer name n close deal.

for me its a bit steep. IMHO, the friend-friend price should be 32k-35k?

PARF should be abt 10-11k, so 38k - 10k = 28k / 3.25 = approx 8.6k depreciation a year.

for me its a bit steep. IMHO, the friend-friend price should be 32k-35k?

PARF should be abt 10-11k, so 38k - 10k = 28k / 3.25 = approx 8.6k depreciation a year.

Indeed high. If TS friend ask dealer to quote, I am sure it will be less than 30k.

Thanks

Long distance travel is good for the car, it's the stop and go that kills it...

Have you sit in your friends car as a passenger? How's his driving style? If it's gentle, I believe that GB can last over 250k km easily.

Neutral Newbie

safer to buy a friend from than buying from a 2nd hand car dealer. 160kkm is still ok. got a friend driving 06 civic with 240kkm mileage. so far no problem. still running good.

Have you sit in your friends car as a passenger? How's his driving style? If it's gentle, I believe that GB can last over 250k km easily.

My Toyota GB last 430K km before kaput,why not civic provided you take care of it

↡ Advertisement