GPS Running watch to recommend

D3badge

I have been using Garmin HR strap for a long time. It does not cut my skin le.

I wear oversize singlet and HR strap looks like bra most of the time.

You still use the HR strap now? I will be surprise if you haven't upgrade to optical hr since you are a gadget person.

Ya, not all will get skin cut with the HR strap. I was unfortunate to be one of them.

Edited by Ender
↡ Advertisement

g) Cycling -  Well , I don't know how to cycle...can't comment about the cycling function. [laugh]

wah seh, kindred spirit.

hahaha. but quite malu liao since my girl is learning how to cycle. lao peh may have to embarass himself  [dead]

You still use the HR strap now? I will be surprise if you haven't upgrade to optical hr since you are a gadget person.

Ya, not all will get skin cut with the HR strap. I was unfortunate to be one of them.

maybe need pecs like @staff69 to not get cut  [:p]

I run with both Suunto Ambit2 (HR Strap) & Fitbit Alta (Optical HR).  So i know optical HR is less reliable.

Nowadays, i also run with power pod.

Could just be Fitbit's problem. Quality of optical HR is very diverse between brands.

I don't really take optical HR seriously as it picks up from pulsation on our hand.

During intense training, there could lag between blood pulsation and heart beat.

I use camera to pick up resting heart beat every morning.

Sure. Similarly for straps. Just use it to monitor trends, rather than absolute readings.

Frankly, Fitbit is one company I don't trust for sports. They became popular for counting steps (and tons of advertising $$), but I haven't hear a lot of good reviews for sport watches. Serious or amateur runners usually stick to a few brands nia .. Of course, my opinion is worth nothing.

yeah garmin, suunto and polar are more established.

Though one thing have to take into account is that fitbit sells more watches so ok lah, their watches aren't too bad lah. still mostly 3.5-4 stars on amazon.

• Praise 1

Sure. Similarly for straps. Just use it to monitor trends, rather than absolute readings.

Frankly, Fitbit is one company I don't trust for sports. They became popular for counting steps (and tons of advertising $$), but I haven't hear a lot of good reviews for sport watches. Serious or amateur runners usually stick to a few brands nia .. Of course, my opinion is worth nothing.

I use it as 1 of training tool.

I don't use Fitbit for serious training.

Still, Fitbit is a good toy for me.

wah seh, kindred spirit.

hahaha. but quite malu liao since my girl is learning how to cycle. lao peh may have to embarass himself [dead]

maybe need pecs like @staff69 to not get cut [:p]

Lol! Tell me about it. My girl wants to do a triathlon in a few years and intends to sign up for a duathlon first. I can only hang my head in shame for not being able to cycle. [laugh]

She's offered to show me how to ride and I think I will bite the malu bullet soon. [laugh]

Lol! Tell me about it. My girl wants to do a triathlon in a few years and intends to sign up for a duathlon first. I can only hang my head in shame for not being able to cycle. [laugh]

She's offered to show me how to ride and I think I will bite the malu bullet soon. [laugh]

i think i go find a sharing bike and go practice in the park at night to avoid humiliation  -_-

• Praise 1

@lala81

This online watch retailer pricing is not bad, but the Spartan Trainer is out of stock. They have higher end models if you wanna spend more.

I bought a couple of Orient watches from them before, all well received and nicely packred. They are sent from Hong Kong.

http://www.dutyfreeislandshop.com/suunto-watches/

bit surprised by the pricing on the website even though it's OOS. it's like the same amount but in SGD compared to USA pricing in USD  [shocked]

bit surprised by the pricing on the website even though it's OOS. it's like the same amount but in SGD compared to USA pricing in USD [shocked]

The pricing is real even for the out of stock. Coz I ever waited for a Orient watch to be in stock for a long time, and finally when stock came, the price was as it was listed when it was out of stock.
  • Praise 1

The pricing is real even for the out of stock. Coz I ever waited for a Orient watch to be in stock for a long time, and finally when stock came, the price was as it was listed when it was out of stock.

hmm since it's savings of about 100 dollars possibly, i'll wait a month or two and see how bah haha  [laugh]

hmm since it's savings of about 100 dollars possibly, i'll wait a month or two and see how bah haha [laugh]

Want to wait, then better use the notify be email feature.

Bought the suunto spartan trainer from 3D trading as per @ender gai xiao. It's $306 all in.

Charging cable is proprietary. It's a little bit heavy but watch face not too big and it fits well around my skinny wrist when running (my wrist isn't big for my size). The silicone is really soft type comfortable but dunno about durability.

Tried to set it up with my windows 7 home OS laptop (up to date to the maximum level) but it couldn't detect the watch as a driver. Basically this is because the suuntolink is more of a application then a program. Despite all attempts, Had to use my wifes laptop which is windows 8 and works well.

Seems to track my distance more accurately than strava. Well at least it tells me I ran more at the same point hahaha so make me feel good. Still not very sure what buttons to press at times but seems like a good HR tracker for steady running. I slowed down when I saw my HR come up to 160. Tried to keep it at 150+.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

Bought the suunto spartan trainer from 3D trading as per @ender gai xiao. It's $306 all in.

Charging cable is proprietary. It's a little bit heavy but watch face not too big and it fits well around my skinny wrist when running (my wrist isn't big for my size). The silicone is really soft type comfortable but dunno about durability.

Tried to set it up with my windows 7 home OS laptop (up to date to the maximum level) but it couldn't detect the watch as a driver. Basically this is because the suuntolink is more of a application then a program. Despite all attempts, Had to use my wifes laptop which is windows 8 and works well.

Seems to track my distance more accurately than strava. Well at least it tells me I ran more at the same point hahaha so make me feel good. Still not very sure what buttons to press at times but seems like a good HR tracker for steady running. I slowed down when I saw my HR come up to 160. Tried to keep it at 150+.

$306 is really good price, cheaper than USA and with local warranty.   You would want to go to Strava and connect to your Suunto Apps. So it would seamlessly update from Suunto Apps.

$306 is really good price, cheaper than USA and with local warranty. You would want to go to Strava and connect to your Suunto Apps. So it would seamlessly update from Suunto Apps.

Yup done that part. My tonight run is on there.

But apparently the mobile movescount app is quite rubbish. Ha it has some horrendous reviews on play store.

Still need to sync to the pc better.

But anyone still on windows 7 and only have one computer at home better don't get this Suunto. Oh yeah it needs u to be the administrator so that u can install the device driver so those using work laptops also better take note. There's no such info out there on the net on win7 with this watch. So haha it's world first...

Edited by Lala81

After running 1 month, tries to do functional threshold HR test.

Warm up (10 - 15 mins), press lap button.

Run 10 mins at 90% of fastest time you can hold, press lap button.

Run 20 mins at fastest time you can hold, press lap button.

Warm down.

You run consistently.

Honestly, Moveslink app crap.

↡ Advertisement