Clutch pump - good for how many pumps?

Ahgong

Supercharged

as with all hydralic pumps, there is a certain threshold before the pump is no longer good or efficient.

i wonder, with the clutch hydralic pumps that are attached to the pedal, there is a primary clutch pump and a secondary clutch pump.

How may pumps (as in how many time you depress the clutch pedal) is the pump good for before it is time to replace?

Anyone ever measured? or is the info found on any specs that we can read from?

↡ Advertisement

as with all hydralic pumps, there is a certain threshold before the pump is no longer good or efficient.

i wonder, with the clutch hydralic pumps that are attached to the pedal, there is a primary clutch pump and a secondary clutch pump.

How may pumps (as in how many time you depress the clutch pedal) is the pump good for before it is time to replace?

how to measure? i dont think anyone will go and keep track how many times they clutch in and out daily. the pump will have signs of difficult to engange the gear in than thats the time need to take immediate attention to.

Do u count the number of rice u had in ur bowl? Lol

Probably TS is trying to determine whether the manufacturers do any durability testing.

Supercharged

lol... no. but from the size of the bowl and the quantity of rice in it, i can judge how long i take to finish the bowl of rice and whether i need a re-fill or not.

same principle with the pump.

given the specs, and my driving pattern, i can at the very least judge how long before i need to replace the pump rather than wait for it to break down.

pre-emptive maintenance is better than waiting for things to break before replacing. no? [:p]

Supercharged

Probably TS is trying to determine whether the manufacturers do any durability testing.

Yep. something along that line.

Supercharged

how to measure? i dont think anyone will go and keep track how many times they clutch in and out daily. the pump will have signs of difficult to engange the gear in than thats the time need to take immediate attention to.

by the time the signs come, the pump is already half way to chui liow loh.

*recent experience*

may not make it home or the WS for repairs. -_-

Twincharged

*recent experience*

Happen to me before. Had to pump the clutch a few times every few minutes to keep the pressure there. The workshop told me that to let the pump last longer try to change to neutral everytime you stop rather than hold the clutch in while in first gear.

Supercharged

Happen to me before. Had to pump the clutch a few times every few minutes to keep the pressure there. The workshop told me that to let the pump last longer try to change to neutral everytime you stop rather than hold the clutch in while in first gear.

hmm... there is a diff?

There is a master cylinder at the pedal side and slave cylinder at the clutch side. When my master cylinder was kaputting (lasted a good 140,000km), the pedal sometimes doesn't come up but clutch was still operable by flicking the pedal up with my toes. I just stopped driving the car until my appointment with the workshop, could still drive smoothly to the workshop to replace the master cylinder.

*recent experience*

than i suggest you change it yearly lo if thats the case. lagi ensure no signs will happen and your clutch wont fail. yearly one time 10 yrs u only change 10 pumps wat.. consider the hassle that you will go thru. Maybe u can try.

Supercharged

than i suggest you change it yearly lo if thats the case. lagi ensure no signs will happen and your clutch wont fail. yearly one time 10 yrs u only change 10 pumps wat.. consider the hassle that you will go thru. Maybe u can try.

xiao ah? you know how much a clutch pump cost or not?

every year change one?!?

got money to burn also dun liddat mah! :blink:

xiao ah? you know how much a clutch pump cost or not?

every year change one?!?

got money to burn also dun liddat mah! :blink:

clutch pump will normally last abt 100K la.. but having said that it also much depends on your driving style and pattern. Agar agar lor.. cannot say for 100% sure when will fail.

Most people here drive automatic, very few manual drivers. But I think TS is genuinely asking a valid question. Don't need to tok rubbish if you have no idea of the typical life expectancy of the clutch pump.

Twincharged

there are better things in life to do and count number of cycles a clutch pump can last. as if the makes a difference. are you going to track daily how many times you engage the clutch pedal? else you will also not know when the failure is coming.

Twincharged

hmm... there is a diff?

Dunno true or not. But they told me that when hold the clutch down the pump is working ma. So if stopping for quite a while better to put it to neutral.

The clutch pump is quite reliable....im driving a manual 6-speeder and my clutch pedal crack before the clutch pump fails....and im running 7 years car so you can imagine....

↡ Advertisement