Old Volvo S80/S60

Gildor8

Neutral Newbie

Hi all,

Thinking of getting an old S80 or S60 because the price seems reasonable.

Like your advise whether this move is a lousy one and the maintenance will kill.

thanks in advance.

↡ Advertisement

Hi all,

Like your advise whether this move is a lousy one and the maintenance will kill.

thanks in advance.

how old is old....

Neutral Newbie

how old is old....

Should have been clearer....thinking of getting 2006/2007 Volvo because the price seems reasonable with the huge scrap value.

Can buy

I bought a 06 s60 6 months back

Because feel that it's more worth it

N there are wkshop outside which do

Volvo other then agent

Hi all,

thanks in advance.

Imo both are value for money, powerful engine and balance ride. Nothing in this class within $12k.

Shouldn't be costly to maintain if you find the right ws who is familiar with these models.

i'm still driving my 06 S60. parts are readily available from local stockists, or thru' ebay or US volvo websites. don't need to go back to agent unless it is electronics issue. but i think there a a few workshops that do have the test equipment.

u can check out the local volvo forums for more info :

http://vocsg.com/index.php?sid=c1570e747c3...5727dbf4929d710

or

http://volvosgclub.com

Owned a S60 2.0T loved the solid ride with tank like safety, fuel frugal at 10km per liter for the light pressure turbo. Downside: big turning radius and slow spooling turbo. Workshop familiar include Zenith and TJ auto at bukit merah

I am also looking to get an s80, probably 07 ot 08 model. Seems like the prices r reasonably priced considering both the high paper value and current coe climate.

Does anyone have an idea on its fc?

TS, there is a recent s80 ad. Nov 07 asking for 60k. Very good price. U may wan to have a look.

I have a 09 c70. Good car so far. Apart from wear and tear, servicing also manageable. Wearnes servicing interval is 15k or 1 year. But i still do it at 6 mths as i do 90% city and start-stop drivng.

Neutral Newbie

Can buy

I bought a 06 s60 6 months back

Because feel that it's more worth it

N there are wkshop outside which do

Volvo other then agent

assuring to hear from a 2nd hand Volvo owner.

How much is the normal servicing?. No problems with the timing belt, gear box?

My 2005 S60 T5 servicing cost at outside workshop brought own parts 2 bottle 4L engine oil use 5.8L $120, oil filter $18, labour $20=$158. Some workshop will charge $80 just to reset the service interval and I know how to reset the service interval myself so any workshop could do a simple oil change .Timing belt change is at every 90k interval including the water pump. Of all the conti car I had driven Volvo gear box is most reliable as it using Aisin gear box made by Toyota. Yes. Most of the Volvo model is using Toyota gear box. The ATF is using Toyota type 4 gear box oil costing $40 for 4L bottle.

The only problem with turbo charge engine is it consume some engine oil even without any leakage. I top up 1L for every 5k mileage. According to the service manual the reason for oil lost is due to the EO is use to lubricate the turbo and lost in the process. Fyi BMW, volkwagon and Audi engine also consume EO too. The other parts that fail quite often is the 5 engine mount and the parts is cheap. Buy from stock list 5 engine mount cost below $350. The turbo is very reliable and seldom fail due to running at low boost below 1 bar. Own the car for almost 3 years maintenance cost per year including servicing and replacing wear and tear part never over 1k. Now the car mileage is around 160k km.

Yes Volvo car drink due to the heavy body but with the performance, pick up and top speed fuel consumption is the last thing on my mind.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

My 2005 S60 T5 servicing cost at outside workshop brought own parts 2 bottle 4L engine oil use 5.8L $120, oil filter $18, labour $20=$158. Some workshop will charge $80 just to reset the service interval and I know how to reset the service interval myself so any workshop could do a simple oil change .Timing belt change is at every 90k interval including the water pump. Of all the conti car I had driven Volvo gear box is most reliable as it using Aisin gear box made by Toyota. Yes. Most of the Volvo model is using Toyota gear box. The ATF is using Toyota type 4 gear box oil costing $40 for 4L bottle.

The only problem with turbo charge engine is it consume some engine oil even without any leakage. I top up 1L for every 5k mileage. According to the service manual the reason for oil lost is due to the EO is use to lubricate the turbo and lost in the process. Fyi BMW, volkwagon and Audi engine also consume EO too. The other parts that fail quite often is the 5 engine mount and the parts is cheap. Buy from stock list 5 engine mount cost below $350. The turbo is very reliable and seldom fail due to running at low boost below 1 bar. Own the car for almost 3 years maintenance cost per year including servicing and replacing wear and tear part never over 1k. Now the car mileage is around 160k km.

Yes Volvo car drink due to the heavy body but with the performance, pick up and top speed fuel consumption is the last thing on my mind.

Thanks. Very informative. You are right, with performance of Volvo, fuel consumption is the last thing to be on the drivers mind.

normal service depend on grade and of cos brand use

I'm using FK and it cost around 150 there about depend on which grade u chosse.

my S60 timing belt already chg by previous owner so, anyway, that's like to be replace every 90-100k km

and the cost is like many other jap make.

Till date, these are what i'd done/replace:

1. respray whole car

2. replace all brake rotors to powersot slotted

3. Stoptech brake pad all round

4. Sparco 18" rims with Toyo T1Sport tires

5. replace front lower arm bushing

6. turbo repair kit changed

7. replace air cond condenser

8. install Hayden ATF cooler

9. replace steering rack oil ring x 2 pcs

10. right hand side outer drive shaft cover

Dun be alarm if u think this is a long list. Some of the items are not damage but

i decide to chg it . And majority are wear and tear which apply to other cars too.

Thanks. Very informative. You are right, with performance of Volvo, fuel consumption is the last thing to be on the drivers mind.

if u get a 2.0 unit, consumption is quite ok at around 10km/L

2.4 T5 i get around 8+-9km/L

Dear Al, I'm thinking to get a S80 (Year 2008), any advice about the car? Good or bad? thx

Volvo's are generally reliable in my experience. Between me and my siblings we have so far gone through 6 (I have one that is 9.5 yrs.... and in my family there is a new model V70 which share the chassis as the 08 S80. That has no problem reported so far.)

My only issue is with the suspension which tends to make noises (probably the seats for the spring). Engine started to leak some oil after reaching 9 yr, gear box, air con and others are rock solid. I never service the air con (other than cabin filter) in all my Volvo's!

Try to find one 80K km or less as minor problem like oil leaks and ignition coils (simple replacement, order 1 or 2 spare from Amazon!) may creep in around 120K km.

Good luck!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1