Old Volvo S80/S60

Gildor8

Volvo's are generally reliable in my experience. Between me and my siblings we have so far gone through 6 (I have one that is 9.5 yrs.... and in my family there is a new model V70 which share the chassis as the 08 S80. That has no problem reported so far.)

My only issue is with the suspension which tends to make noises (probably the seats for the spring). Engine started to leak some oil after reaching 9 yr, gear box, air con and others are rock solid. I never service the air con (other than cabin filter) in all my Volvo's!

Try to find one 80K km or less as minor problem like oil leaks and ignition coils (simple replacement, order 1 or 2 spare from Amazon!) may creep in around 120K km.

Good luck!

good to hear that, i'm too hunting for a s80, only gripes is ahpek looks to the max hahaha. Depreciation abit higher than camry but then it's a volvo mah. OMV alot higher than camry, so i think it's a no brainer choice for a used car.

Only getting a 3 year old ride to tide over this crazy coe period (hopefully crazy coe will not last forever), at the same time get some songness over owning a "nicer" car, now driving altis. Cos after baby grow up in 2 or 3 years time, car should be "BIG" && "BUDGET".

↡ Advertisement

good to hear that, i'm too hunting for a s80, only gripes is ahpek looks to the max hahaha. Depreciation abit higher than camry but then it's a volvo mah. OMV alot higher than camry, so i think it's a no brainer choice for a used car.

Only getting a 3 year old ride to tide over this crazy coe period (hopefully crazy coe will not last forever), at the same time get some songness over owning a "nicer" car, now driving altis. Cos after baby grow up in 2 or 3 years time, car should be "BIG" && "BUDGET".

Get the 2.5T inline 5 and chip it up (for about $1K) to 270 HP, and you won't be bothered by the ah pek look anymore!

[laugh]

• Praise 3

Get the 2.5T inline 5 and chip it up (for about $1K) to 270 HP, and you won't be bothered by the ah pek look anymore!

[laugh]

Volvo don't get old.....it only get faster ... [sly]

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

I like wowo.

Solid and stable car even at high speed.

Too bad, many of the parts don't last due to my driving patterns.

Limited stockist in singapore. Parts not cheap and always no stock for those unique parts even direct from wearnes. Must indent

1litre gets 7 to 8km.

Every 3days say hello to spc

• Praise 1

i get my parts either from unico or eBay uk :-)

I am interested to know how to get to know the part number when comes to replacement ? When the workshop has diagnosed the problems, are they willing to tell us since they may not able to earn more from markup, by ordering parts on our behalf. Please share, cos thinking to get a 2nd hard to time.

• Praise 1

You can give your car chasis to stockist or Unico to order the parts but the workshop which install it would not give you any warranty. So you bear all the risks.

Turbocharged

U are at WS mercy when u Dont know the parts number.

They will mark.up the parts with another 30 to 50%.

Follow by labour again.

Unico not the cheapest.

Can use it as a guideline.

Can look for Danny from the old Volvo forum to get the parts

Should have been clearer....thinking of getting 2006/2007 Volvo because the price seems reasonable with the huge scrap value.

How huge is huge? End of 10 years also 50% gone.

How huge is huge? End of 10 years also 50% gone.

Check the OMV, old model S60 about 33k-36k, depending on year, 50% or 55% of that when scrapped. Old S80 should have OMV of about 38k-40k.

Check the OMV, old model S60 about 33k-36k, depending on year, 50% or 55% of that when scrapped. Old S80 should have OMV of about 38k-40k.

Sounds good....if no need heavy maintenance...

The old 5-pot engines and auto trans are pretty good, old leak appeared at around 135K, ignition coils start to go around 110K.

The suspensions tend to make noises.

Other than this (in my own experience) nothing else likely to fail.

The old 5-pot engines and auto trans are pretty good, old leak appeared at around 135K, ignition coils start to go around 110K.

The suspensions tend to make noises.

Other than this (in my own experience) nothing else likely to fail.

you referring to the 2.5L T5 with aisin GB?

i cant find a decent unit with 2 years to drive, s80 that is.

you referring to the 2.5L T5 with aisin GB?

i cant find a decent unit with 2 years to drive, s80 that is.

S80 don't have T5, more like a 2.5T (new shape) or 2.0T(Old shape), and T5 is a 2.4 for S60/V70. S40/V50 got 2.5 T5.

I think they more or less have the same reliable box, except the old S80T6 (had that before) with a sure-to-fail GM 4-speed auto.

↡ Advertisement