Which 2nd hand car dealer is good?

CamholicX

I bought a used from car design and my present used car from Mayfair, both not too bad

Yup! I agree with u on Mayfair. [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Lets get this straight, about every dealer do tamper with the odo, and it is also true that nowadays many dealers dont allow test drive of car as well.

Lets get this straight, about every dealer do tamper with the odo, and it is also true that nowadays many dealers dont allow test drive of car as well.

The tampering might be so common, for a potential second hand car buyer, take the car's mileage with a pinch of salt and send it for a major servicing after buying it. This kind of cash, have to budget it in. I feel it must be spent as a peace of mind.

For some cases it might be easier to tell how "used" the car is. A 3 yr old car may advertise as 40k mileage, but check the tyres (thread, still stock or not), how well used the driver's leather seat..these may give some indication of the true mileage.

Neutral Newbie

Hey, be careful, you double posted threads for your beetle. Wait later get warning again...

Anyway, if you know you wanna get those beetles, the price already there, info also there. Can self apply for loan from bank, see how much interest rate you'll need to pay. Just call the bank, get the info from them, then get insurance quotes.

For inspection, it's after you go down to the dealer. A lot of MCF bros recommend not to use STA. The other two, just toss coin, ask the dealer to bring to the nearest inspection centre with you. Or without you, ask to see a copy of the inspection reports after.

Edit: Cost for inspection - http://www.vicom.com.sg/inspectionprice.htm

Not 100% sure of it, coz my friend went own mechanic.

This inspection cost is for our annual inspection right? And not for second hand assessment

Supercharged

what abt AA inspection? anyone tried? is it expensive? how long to book appt?

i think not all dealers allow customers to send their cars to the customers workshops to evaluate.

easier way wld be to know some car tech expert n give him some coffee money to go check car one is keen to buy.

This inspection cost is for our annual inspection right? And not for second hand assessment

Yes, that page shows the link for inspection for road tax renewal.

The used car evaluation is described here, but no price on the webpage. http://www.vicom.com.sg/carevaluation.htm

But if I recall correctly, Vicom evaluation is $168

i think not all dealers allow customers to send their cars to the customers workshops to evaluate.

easier way wld be to know some car tech expert n give him some coffee money to go check car one is keen to buy.

$115 for AA member, $145 for non-member.

http://www.aas.com.sg/?show=content&sh...w=8&val=210

Heard others say it's better than STA and very comprehensive. Haven't tried yet myself, so don't quote me on this.

Ya, can't find any other pricing, so only posted that. Sorry..

When I went with a few friends, we always use our own mechanic to assess... But got give kopi $$ lor.. No 120 point check or whatever, but he will drive around and hear the engine and check everything else, then is just give verbal report of the car.

You have to be firm with the dealer if you want to send to your own mechanic. They will always try to do things to benefit themselves, but if by letting you send to your own mechanic they can close the sale and profit, they will allow you to do it.

Supercharged

hmm.. are there any car tech experts doing this as a job ie accompanying clients to assess their cars of interest.

i think they might be in demand once they got reputation as being fair and objective.

We do have a list of blackmarked dealers within the forum, just thought I'd put in a good word for Motor-East Pte Ltd. I recently bought a used car from the company and I have to say it was a relatively fuss-free and seamless affair. I had the good luck of having a great service executive, Alvin, to assist me. 

The car is in fine condition and had been thoroughly groomed by the company. All documentation and charges were carefully explained. A minor niggle of a blown side mirror signal light (which I hadn't noticed at point of collection) was taken care of swiftly for me by the company with the workshop involved in the stipulated warranty.  

All in all I suppose the CaseTrust-SVTA accreditation is well deserved. Perhaps it is a company we can add to a list to consider purchasing a car from, based on real world experiences. 

We do have a list of blackmarked dealers within the forum, just thought I'd put in a good word for Motor-East Pte Ltd. I recently bought a used car from the company and I have to say it was a relatively fuss-free and seamless affair. I had the good luck of having a great service executive, Alvin, to assist me. 

The car is in fine condition and had been thoroughly groomed by the company. All documentation and charges were carefully explained. A minor niggle of a blown side mirror signal light (which I hadn't noticed at point of collection) was taken care of swiftly for me by the company with the workshop involved in the stipulated warranty.  

All in all I suppose the CaseTrust-SVTA accreditation is well deserved. Perhaps it is a company we can add to a list to consider purchasing a car from, based on real world experiences. 

"relatively fuss-free and seamless affair"  and 'hilton' service is possible if your don't question the 'admin' charge and don't mind the penalty of several thousands for not taking loan and insurance through them. Try asking for a discount and look at their attitude.

Used car dealers all the same, easily makeup $8k to $10k for normal cars and charge for admin (for a few keystrokes)  and earn commission on loan and insurance at buyers expense. When times are bad, they approach government to ask for relieve of this rule and that rule. Just want to win 'toh tio'.

I gotta agree with salim. If buyer everything also agree to dealers asking price and admin charges without bargaining, of cos they will chop chop close deal without hassle because they would be making a huge profit. Sometimes hassle free doesn't mean good deal if it is a rip off.

Edited by Ingenius

I gotta agree with salim. If buyer everything also agree to dealers asking price and admin charges without bargaining, of cos they will chop chop close deal without hassle because they would be making a huge profit. Sometimes hassle free doesn't mean good deal if it is a rip off.

this is gonna be a super short thread

finding a good used car dealer is as good as pig can fly

Good second hand car dealers are as plentiful as honest politicians....

how does it compare with the thread which car is good to buy based on FC, fuel, performance, reliability, look, badge, comfort, gadget, boot space, ICE, wheel size, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc?

A waste of time thread

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1