Which 2nd hand car dealer is good?

CamholicX

The car ownership in Singapore is a big mess, buyers and sellers will be taken advantage if we are not careful.

No where in the world can we find used cars sometimes more expensive than new ones.

No where in the world where dealers bid for a car at a price lower than its scrap value, just look at Quotz. There are $500 bids for cars with paper value in thousands. Dealers think car owners are stupid or what.

Nobody force you to transact if you are not a willing buyer or seller.
↡ Advertisement

The car ownership in Singapore is a big mess, buyers and sellers will be taken advantage if we are not careful. 

No where in the world can we find used cars sometimes more expensive than new ones.

No where in the world where dealers bid for a car at a price lower than its scrap value, just look at Quotz. There are $500 bids for cars with paper value in thousands. Dealers think car owners are stupid or what.

Aren't those bids on top of the paper value?

Yep, got my ride from Henly as well in Aug 15. Mine was a short and sweet deal with them. Went to showroom in early Jul 15 after checking out SG Carmart. Saw the car, like the car but was unable to deal as I was heading to London for a 3 weeks long business trip shortly after. Told the dealer that I will come again when I am back and if the car is still available, we will discuss further.

Came back on a Saturday and the car is still available. Went to the workshop on Sunday, saw the car again, checked and is satisfied. Ask for a test drive, paid 2K deposit but on condition that the car got a "B" grade from the AA Inspection and all faults flag out is rectified. Test drove the car and went home happily. Followed the dealer to the Inspection Centre the following day and it got a "B". Minor problem with the front wheel alignment and dealer proposed to change the front 2 tyres for me. I ask for a new set of tyres and they say that they can only change what is faulty. Asked for a cash discount instead and got $250 less as I am more in favour of changing to a new set of tyres for peace of mind.  

Went back to the showroom on Tuesday evening after bank loan approval and LTA change of ownership done. Paid up and drove the car back.

Smooth deal, great experience. Just exercise some form of caution when dealing with them to ensure that you have all angles covered and you will be fine.

Aren't those bids on top of the paper value?

Just watch the starting bids. People are continously looking for 'hai gong' sellers. Dare to bid $500 only for a PARF car.

Nobody force you to transact if you are not a willing buyer or seller.

Of course. It is just sellers embarassing themselves.

How much discount you bargained off the dealer asking price?

When I first saw the car in Jul 15, the asking price was $76,888 but they willing to let go at $74,888 (2K discount). When I return back to the shop in Aug 15, the published price already down to $74,888 and the SE quoted me best price of $74K. Transacted at $72,750 though. Was supposed to be 73K but they less $250 for me to change the front tyres. 

• Praise 1

I like to share my good experience with a used car dealer, Sunbright Motors. Mr Young really knows his car. It took me a while to close the sale with him but he is very patient and not pushy about anything. No hidden cost e.g. admin fees, got to choose my own insurance and transfer ownership within a day.

I would buy another car from him again if I have a chance. Btw i don't know why i can't do a feedback for the company in SGCARMART... Maybe they didn't request from the admin team?

I like to share my good experience with a used car dealer, Sunbright Motors. Mr Young really knows his car. It took me a while to close the sale with him but he is very patient and not pushy about anything. No hidden cost e.g. admin fees, got to choose my own insurance and transfer ownership within a day.

I would buy another car from him again if I have a chance. Btw i don't know why i can't do a feedback for the company in SGCARMART... Maybe they didn't request from the admin team?

Good start...

Now you know that not all used car dealers are bad hats.

Just watch the starting bids. People are continously looking for 'hai gong' sellers. Dare to bid $500 only for a PARF car.

FYI, u r not a dealer to begin with, what makes you think that those are bids? You can't see much when u r not a dealer login in for bids.

If so as you say, why didn't u mention the ending/closing bids? Anyway seller have the rights to reject closing bid price if they feel not comfy.

FYI, u r not a dealer to begin with, what makes you think that those are bids? You can't see much when u r not a dealer login in for bids.

If so as you say, why didn't u mention the ending/closing bids? Anyway seller have the rights to reject closing bid price if they feel not comfy.

Neutral Newbie

Seeking advice please, buying a used car soon. Apart from car price, transfer fee, 1st installment,insurance, admin fee and gst.

Any bro here managed to get deal without gst and admin fee?

Was quoted by a dealer with 20% downpayment and need to pay gst for 40% down payment.Admin fee $500.

eg. $50 000 car price. down $10 000, gst need to pay (50000x40%x7%gst) $1400

Seeking advice please, buying a used car soon. Apart from car price, transfer fee, 1st installment,insurance, admin fee and gst.

Was quoted by a dealer with 20% downpayment and need to pay gst for 40% down payment.Admin fee $500.

GST is bulls**t, walk away and dont buy. Care to share which car dealer?

For me, $500 admin fee is standard market price for SE part of the commission. 

20%? You taking In house loan? The standard is 40% down for pre-owned car, some dealer willing to adjust it to 30%+.

But if you really taking in house loan, you are their mercy of those bulls**t, admin, handling, loan gst..blar blar blar.

Ok let me see if I understand correctly, using your e.g.

Car $50,000 down 20% no GST, only pay $10,000 + $500 admin fee

Car $50,000 down 40% GST added, pay $20,000 + $1,400 GST + $500 admin fee

First, admin fee is not a industrial standard meaning not mandatory meaning there are dealers who don't charge the fee.

Second, GST is applicable to GST registered company ONLY and included in the selling price not to breakdown as individual component. This is not Malaysia boleh...

This kind of used car dealer should be [rifle]

I heard that the admin fee is absolute bulls**t. But is ? I thought that the GST (Assuming the company is GST registered) should already be included in the price?

Any bros out there can clarify this?

@Edwinccs can PM me the name of the 2nd hand dealer? I'm thinking of getting a used car too.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

First, admin fee is not a industrial standard meaning not mandatory meaning there are dealers who don't charge the fee.

Second, GST is applicable to GST registered company ONLY and included in the selling price not to breakdown as individual component. This is not Malaysia boleh...

This car dealer quoted me, $10000 down payment, $1400 gst and $500 admin.

His so called in house loan is from credit company. gst is to pay for 40% down payment.

Which does not make sense to me...  ...

• Praise 1

His so called in house loan is from credit company. gst is to pay for 40% down payment.

Correct it makes no sense, stay far far away... there are always other cars waiting to find a suitable owner...

• Praise 1

these crooks becoming more like SLS salesmen

the next thing they will ask buyers to pay them another 5k for "application" to continue with any leftover vehicle warranty at AD

<_<

By right, his net GST should be very minimal, see below example from IRAS website. Don't be conned....

https://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/GST/GST-registered-businesses/Specific-business-sectors/Motor-Trade/

post-100773-0-85421100-1452650297_thumb.png

post-100773-0-03070300-1452650346_thumb.png

• Praise 1

any good place to sell my 9 years car? coz i went to a few dealers they said only take in paper value if i trade in.. Is tat true?

What car is that? When is the COE due? Whats the Mileage?

+1

Edited by JCSL
↡ Advertisement