Land rover defender

Lycanthrope

I did a lot of self-drive during my NSF days be it overseas excercise or driving locally. I already had my driver's license before I entered NS so my CSM sent me and a couple of guys to a one day off-road driving orientation on the land rover in Mandai camp. To facilitate when I went on overseas to self-drive. Btw my vocation is not driver. LoL...

It's great off-road. Robust and I would say adequate in terms of power. But on the tarmac it's pretty numb to drive. Vague steering, clutch and gear shifts. I learnt a lot about the car during that time. It has a few design flaws, one of which was the battery's location. The broken fuel gauge. I had to knock on the fuel tank with a spanner to guess how much fuel I have left or top it up often to prevent going on an empty tank. Something you would not want on any vehicle that's running on diesel.

It's funny the listings never show any of the pics on the reach bench seats. You have to sit upright in front and the rear is not comfy as it's bouncy plus passengers sit sideways although can squeeze many ppl. I like the 3 door version more. The 5 door is just too long for our roads and carparks.

Conclusion it's just too ex to buy one here. It has a spartan interior with little or no comfort. It's only good driving it off-road and you won't get stuck. Nobody would want to drive it in auto. Coz this is one car that you will learn to use the center differential on different off-road conditions. No clever computer to help you. If you want an auto, get a Honda CRV. Not to insult anyone but really no point.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

You must understand that LR Defender 90 at $150k is to be registered as G plate... whereas Sahara is registered at S plate... an S plate defender 90, would cost similar to a discovery or slightly lesser, never enquire about it before.

If you can stretch your budget nearer to discovery, you will find it rather comfy, auto gear box and true passenger vehicle.

LR Defender is not a comfortable vehicle to sit in as it's a truck designed in a few decades ago, and it's original height is at 2.15, many covered carpark cannot enter, clutch is super heavy...

Oops, never thought about that; G vs S.

That would put the Defender 90 out of my comfort zone. I would prob be able to stretch my budget to that of a Freelander 2 or maybe an Evoque, anything more than that will take a few more green days on the Market for me liao. [:p]

Thanks for the heads up bro! [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Twincharged

I did a lot of self-drive during my NSF days be it overseas excercise or driving locally. I already had my driver's license before I entered NS so my CSM sent me and a couple of guys to a one day off-road driving orientation on the land rover in Mandai camp. To facilitate when I went on overseas to self-drive. Btw my vocation is not driver. LoL...

It's great off-road. Robust and I would say adequate in terms of power. But on the tarmac it's pretty numb to drive. Vague steering, clutch and gear shifts. I learnt a lot about the car during that time. It has a few design flaws, one of which was the battery's location. The broken fuel gauge. I had to knock on the fuel tank with a spanner to guess how much fuel I have left or top it up often to prevent going on an empty tank. Something you would not want on any vehicle that's running on diesel.

It's funny the listings never show any of the pics on the reach bench seats. You have to sit upright in front and the rear is not comfy as it's bouncy plus passengers sit sideways although can squeeze many ppl. I like the 3 door version more. The 5 door is just too long for our roads and carparks.

Conclusion it's just too ex to buy one here. It has a spartan interior with little or no comfort. It's only good driving it off-road and you won't get stuck. Nobody would want to drive it in auto. Coz this is one car that you will learn to use the center differential on different off-road conditions. No clever computer to help you. If you want an auto, get a Honda CRV. Not to insult anyone but really no point.

dont forget to mention super heavy clutch and rubbish sitting position. I spent many hours as a NSF on the back of one. and it was bumpy

• Praise 1

dont forget to mention super heavy clutch and rubbish sitting position. I spent many hours as a NSF on the back of one. and it was bumpy

There are ppl who like it of its simplicity and its imperfection. But rarely I heard of ppl wanting an auto version of it, actually this is the first. To me it's the best vehicle to learn to drive off-road.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

does anyone knows whats the model of the mercedes jeep that was used to pull the gun carriages yesterday ?

G-wagen.

The Singapore Army bought the 270 and 290 versions as secondary military transport. It is used in soft-top truck configuration and is known as a 1.5-tonner or simply "MB" to its users. And also some were used also for patrolling in a "jeep" form. The Army also deploys the extremely short-wheelbase, soft-top version for its Colonels, Battalion COs, Brigade and Division Commanders as personal field transports.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2

Dear All,

Thanks so much for the honest feedback! Will definitely re-evaulate my options even though I for one, prefer something simplistic & big w/o all the bells & whistles that come with new rides. Perhaps I'll go for a test drive (when the time comes & if I have enough $$$) to see if it indeed suits my requirements.

Lots of valid points to be considered now - which I didn't realize earlier.

Have a good one you guys!

• Praise 1

nice review.

I drove the defender quite abit too during NSF day and agree wiith the above. Awesome drivetrain and practicality in a utilitarian package. Only let me down once - it wasn't able to climb a super steep slope up a mountain in gear L1 as it was way overloaded... had to offload some passengers and gear at the bottom before going to the summit.

Hi all, back to the question of S plates.

Can this be done? Since now diesels can be registered as pte cars?

Does any expert know the cost comparison between G and S plate?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I am looking to purchase some accessories for Land Rover Defender 90. I am looking for Lamp Guards. Any place for recommendation? 

ebay or amazon (try both US and UK sites)

or maybe the china sites? taobao

Why not? considering that it is a 7 seater that can go almost anywhere in the world, and it is on S plate, 200+K is reasonable. If you take a look at previous generation Discovery (4th Generation), it cost way more than the S plate 110 you shared. 

I believe the main reason for the seller to price it at 200+K is due to the demand in Singapore, the height restriction it will face, turning radius and last but not least, the MANUAL transmission. 

You will say that at such price others will tend to sway to other makes and models or even consider its siblings, but definitely won't be as iconic and usable as a Landrover Defender 110.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=602608&DL=1000

If i take MY2014 model of discovery as shared above ...S$10k difference seems acceptable ,  

To fork out 200k++ and have to watch out on the height restriction , turning radius , manual gearbox , low demand , iconic status ( probably an bane in local context).. the potential buyer must be really a defender lover with wider pocket  .. , 

I'm not a driver in NSF days, But i drove the LR defender during my days at Haig Road camp off Katong, how i did it was amazing and thrilling experiences, like brother sharing here were the cockpits were dated with no computer terminal and big steering wheel and dated upright seats, boxy gearbox and turning radius required muscular sturdy hands, almost 90 degree full, nevertheless the ride were full of vibes capability with many anticipation of gear changes you need to manage the gear well to cordite the manual g/b capability.

The days of my LR defender ride were memorable and vivid memories of my days @Haig Road Camp.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=602608&DL=1000

If i take MY2014 model of discovery as shared above ...S$10k difference seems acceptable ,  

To fork out 200k++ and have to watch out on the height restriction , turning radius , manual gearbox , low demand , iconic status ( probably an bane in local context).. the potential buyer must be really a defender lover with wider pocket  .. , 

It's more comparable with the Merc G wagon. http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=601902&DL=1000

Until you see this you will LoL and call ppl who drive them as insane.

↡ Advertisement