Reasons why Autobahn has no speed limit and still safe

Vega

Turbocharged

There are many considerations when the German construct the Autobahn.

And please do not treat the NSHW as autobahn. [:)]

Enjoy the video.

↡ Advertisement

Some things I like about from documentary.

1. Quoted "there are .72 fatalities per 100millions vehicles miles traveled on Autobahn, compared to .84 on the US interstate.

Speed kills? Think Again.

2. Drivers are likely to fall asleep in a straight road compared with a bendy one.

3. Variable speed limits due to traffic conditions & no overtaking for heavy vehicles.

4. Use of emergency lanes during peak traffic ease up 70-80% of congestion.

Here we have useless bus lanes that causes bottlenecks.

5. Cars made in German/conti are designed for autobahn hence better handling & additional safety features.

the road surface is rather different. it's more rough, porous to allow water to drain. at the expense of noise, tyres, maintenance.

the number of filter lanes in/out entrance/exits per kilometer is lesser.

and who's on the road driving? i think we need to be clear who's the actual people behind the wheel. look around here, and the answer is clear.

on trying to compare the Malaysia NSHW, and Singapore expressway to Germany Autobahn. we can't really.

The idea that some people deserve to be less affected in a traffic jam than others. [rifle]

Overtaking from slow lane is not allowed, therefore, slow driver must give way to faster driver.

Effectively, no road hoggers.

On congested traffic, tail gaters will be fined accordingly to their wealth.

Here in Singapore, because of top speed limit is set, road hoggers can continue to stay at overtaking lane, no need to keep left when not over taking. Maybe their reason is I am already at max speed.

The resultant action is

1. Slow down the entire chain of traffic, but this is not their fault.

2. Force some drivers to overtake from slow lane, that is dangerous, but it should be done in the first place.

Some assumptions for speed limit in sg or us, maybe is that, speeding creates, speed in-homogenous on road, can increase likelihood of accidents. But Germans autobahn, probably assume drivers are more mature, if you are slow, just keep to slow lane.

Some things I like about from documentary.

1. Quoted "there are .72 fatalities per 100millions vehicles miles traveled on Autobahn, compared to .84 on the US interstate.

Speed kills? Think Again.

2. Drivers are likely to fall asleep in a straight road compared with a bendy one.

3. Variable speed limits due to traffic conditions & no overtaking for heavy vehicles.

5. Cars made in German/conti are designed for autobahn hence better handling & additional safety features.

Oh, it cost about the same to get a driving license in Germany and in Singapore.

but just compare the standards of the local drivers.

I hate to say it, but I bet a BIG part of the reason that so many Sg drivers are so haolian is the very high price of cars and motoring in Singapore. Somehow, people think that just because they can afford a car, they've "made it" in some profound way. They feel entitled.

I find that with the imposition of a fixed speed limit, it causes more accidents.

Aside from reckless driving, my observations are:

- road hoggers feel that they are entitled to remain in the fastest lane because they have

reached the speed limit allowed.

- the law abiding ones will be constantly tapping on the brakes to maintain legal speed.

The above 2 reasons contribute to accidents; as they are the ones making it necessary for others to overtake.

Edited by TameDriver

Turbocharged

To add on, by law you must keep the the slowest lane unless overtaking.. So if the whole highway is empty, you can travel at 300km/hr, but must be at the slowest lane..

If someone in sg politely tells you, I keep left is not going to help you, because speed limit is 90km/h max.

How would you reply?

To add on, by law you must keep the the slowest lane unless overtaking.. So if the whole highway is empty, you can travel at 300km/hr, but must be at the slowest lane..

If someone in sg politely tells you, I keep left is not going to help you, because speed limit is 90km/h max.

How would you reply?

that is why Singaporean are not gracious. -_-

what i found most interesting is that tailgating is frowned upon and illegal..and offenders are fined accordingly to their wealth

that's because they mostly are gracious and will go back to the slowest lane. if they are always at the first lane, then they will be irritated at the road hogger. <_<

Oh, it cost about the same to get a driving license in Germany and in Singapore.

but just compare the standards of the local drivers.

Fun Fact, learning to drive on the Autobahn, as well as in the city, both day & night, is a requirement in Germany in order to get a licence.

This could explain why so many people are so bad when driving on expressway in Sunny Singapore, as we are only taught in theory.

In the end, I think the most important deciding difference is the discipline & common sense of Germany's drivers. They have this mindset also (that will not work in many places) that one must take personal responsibility & apply common sense when driving. You know things like keep safe distance, be careful when weather is bad, visibility is poor, slow down on school lanes, and drive within capability of your car. There are of course occasionally doughbags, but they are far & few between, more near big cities.

Edited by Kiadaw

Anyway, another interesting thing about Germany, is that the Autobahn, is completely free (funded by German tax payers money of course)! Also being situated in middle of Europe, a lot of foreign vehicles, especially trucks (trucks need to pay though) like to use the Autobahn.

There are some argument if Autobahn should impose toll charges, especially around major cities, but the counter argument is the huge tax pay by people. Of course its win/win if you are foreign vehicle driving in Autobahn.

German's monitoring shows average autobahn speed is around 140kph.

That means we are doing the same rate as autobahn users as on NSHW.

Going any faster just not make economical sense since the energy needed goes up exponentially at every 1kph increase.

the road surface is rather different. it's more rough, porous to allow water to drain. at the expense of noise, tyres, maintenance. the number of filter lanes in/out entrance/exits per kilometer is lesser.

and who's on the road driving? i think we need to be clear who's the actual people behind the wheel. look around here, and the answer is clear.

on trying to compare the Malaysia NSHW, and Singapore expressway to Germany Autobahn. we can't really.

↡ Advertisement