Will u buy Diesel or Petrol Cars in SG

Darky8888

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

Would like to know how many will consider buying a EuroIV diesel car instead of the normal petrol car?

The first consideration is of coz diesel car gives better mileage and maybe cheaper daily running cost.

While car uses petrol is kind of rather standard on the cost of daily running.

Your comments and thoughts plzzzzz... :D

As soon as JB sells Euro IV diesel, I'll switch to diesel car. :-)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Dont think the mileage that good anyway, my brother is driving a XF 2.2D, I can only get 8.5litre/100km, 70% city driving. Paper states 5+litre/100km.

Will LTA revert on the heavy diessel tax? As current diessel tax is new structure... Will new petroleum tax be included in diessel like petrol in future? After adding in the old diesel tax structure, will the lower price if diesel still be attractive?

As soon as JB sells Euro IV diesel, I'll switch to diesel car. :-)

Isnt the latest standard euro V? Why you guys keep saying IV?

Yes, for those who had opt for CNG vehicles are now basically in a fix , even taxi companies are opting out. One operator of a CNG refuelling station is thinking of giving up the operation and use the exisiting land for more productivity business.

Cng can be removed from the car without much hassle right? Compare to changing a diesel engine to a petrol one. (talking about the rule and regulations of LTA)

Dont think the mileage that good anyway, my brother is driving a XF 2.2D, I can only get 8.5litre/100km, 70% city driving. Paper states 5+litre/100km.

8.5/100km is quite good liao. What u expect? 70%city driving lei. If petrol, i am sure cant even smell 14l/100km.

• Praise 1

diesel is good for fuel consumption but not as good as the paper claims. from what i understand, take 20-30% off the claims and you will get a pretty accurate FC for singapore road driving. :)

hope this helps for anyone interested. diesel is probably the future for us. has good torque too! [laugh]

• Praise 1

Yep, the problem is how the owner is going to dispose of the gas tank and acc. Also need to have the car on-board computer reset to run on single fuel.

What do you require performance wise in Singapore??

The roads are jammed and there is a 90 limit.

You really need a 'performance' car????

I need a performance car to overtake all the road hogger [laugh] [laugh]

Rare ride in Singapore. How's the Renault Efficient Dual Clutch transmission?

Yups, and the rarity was one reason why I picked the Renault over others (e.g. VW etc).

So far, I have driven the car for less than 1 week. So far so good. The Dual Clutch is very smooth, though from start-stop, there's a hint of gear change. Other than that, it's been one good transmission.

• Praise 1

diesel is good for fuel consumption but not as good as the paper claims. from what i understand, take 20-30% off the claims and you will get a pretty accurate FC for singapore road driving. :)

hope this helps for anyone interested. diesel is probably the future for us. has good torque too! [laugh]

20-30% off - that's the same for petrol cars also. To have a rough gauge of the real world FC.

I need a performance car to overtake all the road hogger [laugh] [laugh]

Better luck if you transform yourself into Doremon. [laugh] No COE, no car, no fuel needed; just a propeller on top.

Good torque at the traffic lights.. Hard to win a sonata at one.. But of cuz the diesel tax is quite high now..

nowadays those conti cars have good torque, so can easily win a sonata at traffic light de [laugh]

• Praise 1

20-30% off - that's the same for petrol cars also. To have a rough gauge of the real world FC.

believe if we turn off a/c can almost reach stated FC [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

Diesel engines are only good for long distance travel like Singapore to KL for fuel saving. Its not design for congested traffic. Its perform same or even worst than petrol in terms of fuel consumption.

I speak for personal experiences of at least 3 years of driving a diesel car in a heavy traffic city. The verdict, a Toyota hybrid beat the hell out of it in fuel saving.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1