Micron Spore retrench staff

Forte3737

How u know micron retrenched??

is all over in the news lah.

http://www.ednasia.com/ART_8800513328_1000...NT_98e0cdcd.HTM

Micron Semiconductor to cut 2% of Singapore workforce

23 Aug 2013 | Elmie Gonzales

Around 150 staff members are to lose their jobs at Micron Semiconductor Asia in Singapore. This is according to a report by Channel News Asia.

The layoffs include engineers, managers, technicians and operators, which make up two per cent of the memory chip maker's 7,500 workers in the country.

Lee Kok Choy, country manager for Micron Semiconductor Asia Pte Ltd., said: "We are in the process of a transformation of the company, trying to make it more effective. We also expanded our field of influence with the acquisition of some external companies, so as we try to make ourselves more effective and productive, there are certain jobs that are no longer needed.

"As a result of that, we have to reduce the number of workers in the excess jobs. That is the reason for the retrenchment."

As part of Micron's pans to improve efficiency and cut costs, the company plans to lay off five per cent of its global workforce. Micron has three fabrication facilities and a test and assembly facility in Singapore.

- See more at: http://www.ednasia.com/ART_8800513328_1000...h.Cw1le0l3.dpuf

↡ Advertisement

only taiwanese and korean electronics companies will dominate in future

-_-

no all taiwanese and korean are doing good. you have to have in the supply chain of Samung, Apple and automotive to make good progress. Others just merely surviving nowadays.

Downturn cycle is normal in this industry. If you stay long enough. Is just a walk in the park. Of course, people come people go. It the same in every industry.

ya of coz...what about downturn for 6 months up only 2 months...and the cycle carry on..but of coz we cant do anything abt it...just have to play smart la...i just hope that this industry can last till my retirement...haha

Thought imflash delay in their production? They closed down liao? :blink: I have one ex colleague also one of the pioneer batch who joined imflash and went to US for training.

I was one of the affected pioneer. Happy with my current job after getting out of semicon industry. Many in semicon has since switch career. :D

no all taiwanese and korean are doing good. you have to have in the supply chain of Samung, Apple and automotive to make good progress. Others just merely surviving nowadays.

Not true. Even a company in the supply chain of this big guys. They might not do well too. Reason is the prices with these big guys are mostly like dirt...low profit.

I was one of the affected pioneer. Happy with my current job after getting out of semicon industry. Many in semicon has since switch career. :D

so what r u doing now? any lobang?

Semicon industry have been going up and down in recent years le. Even now some semicon companies still seems to be not bad, as i have some friends in semicon and they are still happily working in their company for years! Even though some semicon companies have gone through the retrench stage and yet their business still surviving and continue recruiting new staff.

Edited by 13177

of course not all will do well

cannot survive kena makan

ultimately electronics will be dominated by taiwanese and koreans globally.

japanese lost the game already

Supercharged

the only ever sun shine industry is womb and the tomb sectors. every second, always have new babies born and people die

LAM and AMAT in september i heard

Sorry, september? These two are equipment vendor companies.

I got into the semicon industry in the late 90s when there was still a 'gold rush' kind of feeling, although tapering down by then... I remember the work was like no night, no day, because production figures were so high, what more when there were earthquakes disrupting production lines in japan or taiwan.

When there were process or equipment issues requiring quick resolution, sometimes keep vigil next to the machine! [laugh]

I actually left because there was too much work, no life, ironically.

So with the slowdown there is less urgent work? How is it nowadays?

Edited by Sosaria

Tks bro jiak luk

is all over in the news lah.

http://www.ednasia.com/ART_8800513328_1000...NT_98e0cdcd.HTM

Micron Semiconductor to cut 2% of Singapore workforce

23 Aug 2013 | Elmie Gonzales

Around 150 staff members are to lose their jobs at Micron Semiconductor Asia in Singapore. This is according to a report by Channel News Asia.

The layoffs include engineers, managers, technicians and operators, which make up two per cent of the memory chip maker's 7,500 workers in the country.

Lee Kok Choy, country manager for Micron Semiconductor Asia Pte Ltd., said: "We are in the process of a transformation of the company, trying to make it more effective. We also expanded our field of influence with the acquisition of some external companies, so as we try to make ourselves more effective and productive, there are certain jobs that are no longer needed.

"As a result of that, we have to reduce the number of workers in the excess jobs. That is the reason for the retrenchment."

As part of Micron's pans to improve efficiency and cut costs, the company plans to lay off five per cent of its global workforce. Micron has three fabrication facilities and a test and assembly facility in Singapore.

- See more at: http://www.ednasia.com/ART_8800513328_1000...h.Cw1le0l3.dpuf

Sorry, september? These two are equipment vendor companies.

I got into the semicon industry in the late 90s when there was still a 'gold rush' kind of feeling, although tapering down by then... I remember the work was like no night, no day, because production figures were so high, what more when there were earthquakes disrupting production lines in japan or taiwan.

When there were process or equipment issues requiring quick resolution, sometimes keep vigil next to the machine! [laugh]

I actually left because there was too much work, no life, ironically.

So with the slowdown there is less urgent work? How is it nowadays?

ya when market good of coz no day...only nite...haha...tat time the bonus and money was like "gao gao"...but nowday most fab cost cutting..so alot of FSE affected by it...alot kana retrenched but the workload is not easy either..customer will continue to press u for solution and u r doing it for free just hoping that when market recover they will buy machine from u...

Turbocharged

when its an up cycle it's really good wasn't it? in early 2000s I recall Tech paying 10+ months bonus etc....

ya when market good of coz no day...only nite...haha...tat time the bonus and money was like "gao gao"...but nowday most fab cost cutting..so alot of FSE affected by it...alot kana retrenched but the workload is not easy either..customer will continue to press u for solution and u r doing it for free just hoping that when market recover they will buy machine from u...

So you are in field service?

Learned a lot about the equipment from FSEs I worked with, as they have to support those equipment under warranty. Free 'tuition' in hands-on engineering, and as it was my first job back then, I considered it a good post-grad engineering school [laugh]

In 2008, many also lost their job with micron n intel joint venture. Semicon industry has always been like that.

...yup.. Im still licking wound since Chartered Ind. closed shop... [bigcry]

↡ Advertisement