400+ accidents on expressways in last 3 months

Scion

CTE used to have a speeed camera near bradel / bishan exit, but guess TP figured waste of resources.

congested day and night....

yep...i think its the only expressway without one?

↡ Advertisement

CTE used to have a speeed camera near bradel / bishan exit, but guess TP figured waste of resources.

congested day and night....

actually strange thing is so jam, still can have accident meh [confused]

maybe is at night nobody on cte, everyone chut turbo

maybe Govt can consider releasing time based data also [:p]

see is it at night then the accident all come out :ph34r:

actually strange thing is so jam, still can have accident meh [confused]

maybe is at night nobody on cte, everyone chut turbo

maybe Govt can consider releasing time based data also [:p]

see is it at night then the accident all come out :ph34r:

Happened after speed cam near eng neo toward airport at around 6.50am this morning .. accident a few cars in front of mine .. twice in 2 weeks .. drive safely along this stretch after the bend !

Edited by Shadow6447

Actually they should come up this incentive road worthy system. You will see every morning car will start to rush before the ERP gantry start in order to kana "teeeee" and drive will start to speed. Lornie road exit always long queue during peak hours and ppl will try do dash out of filter lane in order to reach home early to see belove wife of children. Actually garment should set up another "Earn Road Point" (ERP) systems at those accident prone areas. This system will be like if driver never speed when pass by the gantry, the gantry will automatically debit certain dollars into thier cash card in rewards for appreciation for not speeding and drive safe. At the same times can rewards those taxi uncles for rushing to destination and faster pick up a new passenger. Garment should take and give at times also. So in future, singapore city will not be a "Fine" city.

No 1 hotspot at PIE, near exit to Eng Neo

No 2 and 3 are at PIE (near Jalan Eunos) and SLE (near TPE exit)

by LTA Twitter

I'm very surprised that the criss-crossing traffics at the exits of TPE going towards Bedok and KPE joining Shears Bridge has no accidents.

I'm very surprised that the criss-crossing traffics at the exits of TPE going towards Bedok and KPE joining Shears Bridge has no accidents.

Coz ECP got speed cam there at KPE Entrance/Exit?

Wow 400+ accidents in 3 months....

Means at minimum 800 cars to fix in 3 months which is 266.6 repair jobs a month...

Assume a conservative $5k per repair job...

Wow that is a $1.33 million dollars a month business... and that is just counting expressway accidents involving a minimum 2 cars....

On another note... 10 accidents a day is pretty bad. Suspect that there are quite a number of unlicensed drivers on the roads....

Besides all these published ones there are several unreported cases too, I presume.

I also believe the way our expressways are designed is also a problem.

For one, there are too many entrances and exits; the entrances joined the expressway before the exits causing traffic to criss-cross over the left lanes. With the typical impatient Singapore drivers, all this lane changing will result in more accidents.

In the US, the freeways have the exits before entrances, lessening the chances of the many lane changes at the entrance/exits.

I think its too late to re-design the expressways now... [:(]

I think we need data from other places with motorway of similar density to make an inform comparsion.

But just my thinking (hope to be wrong though), its mostly the problems with drivers. I think expressway is already very clear, wide, with very clear dividers, & direction of travel on road. It is in my view, already very noob proof, if there is a not a better word.

My opinion comes from driving in Singapore, as well as U.K , Germany, & a bit of Austria & Switzerland. In Germany, often there is no indication at exit or entrance of autobhan, that the road is 2 lanes same direction, or oppositing direction. 90% of road are dashed line between lanes, & direction of travel/turn are ony at junctions. You have to make your own judgement & be observance. If you are unsure, always take the outer rightmost lane.

In Singapore, in most areas, there are dividers even on normal road, & road are reasonable wide, I personally do not know how much the road in Singapore can be improve to be even more drivers friendly. Maybe one thing they can do, is to make distance marker near exit, 500, 300, 200, 100m marks to exit (like in Germany), so people know when to keep to start filtering to the outerlane, & not rush out last minute.

Edited by Kiadaw

1. time of the day of accident

As mentioned by some regarding peak hour, I would think the speed at exit bend will not be fast (maybe 30-40km/h?)

2. Exact spot of accident

isolate to 10-20m radius, LTA should have enough data to trace where is the usual accident hotspot

3. Consolidate with { location, time of day, number of cars affected }, they can brainstorm on whether to improve on lane / expressway design?

4. Regarding too many exits, i think we can't help it. This is quite a densely populated area, i guess the initial design (from URA / LTA) has done some cost/benefits and projection when they tabled the PIE or AYE/ECP.

But can the design scale after the 2004 COE bloat, i don't know.

5. However, by upsizing some 3 or 4 lane expressway to 5 lane or even 6 lanes, will it introduce more accidents in the future. I believe LTA needs to think over and prepare.

There is little talk or study on our driving culture/ behaviourial psychology.

It is really heartening to watch the youtube vid on german drivers make way for an ambulance on the Autobahn. The car shoulders on both sides can be utilised. Not sure how or will it be done in PIE or some 4/5 lane jam packed CTE if there is a real need.

Turbocharged

I am wondering what is the common causes of accidents on the expressways? Jus drive straight keep ok distance brake when needed. Is it motorcycles? Lorries?

So frustrating getting stuck in jams...

• Praise 1

I am wondering what is the common causes of accidents on the expressways? Jus drive straight keep ok distance brake when needed. Is it motorcycles? Lorries?

merged here....

my take.......live with it

What else? Distracted by handphone lor.

↡ Advertisement