Durian Sellers - recommendations and to avoid

Aukang

Price at Ah Seng drops again, MSW at $12/kg and JinFeng $10/kg.

https://www.facebook.com/AhSengDurian

Hi pal,

How time flies! Another year juz pass!!!

No need to wait so long for price to drop...

Ah Seng at ghim moh is selling msw at $14/kg. juz got 3 from him juz now.
He recommend another type call butter. I find it nice too! Only $7/kg

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Just bought from my usual stall Jin Feng $10/kg.

Saw MSW selling at 2 prices - $15/kg & $13/kg. Forgot to ask what is the difference between both.

Dropped by 818 last week, they wanted 22/kg. told me that the previous week was 25/kg. crazy! Went to Ah Loon along east coast road opposite holy family church and got MSW for 15/kg. more than good enough for me

$22 is ridiculous . This season msw market price Abt $12-14 nia

Just bought from my usual stall Jin Feng $10/kg.

Saw MSW selling at 2 prices - $15/kg & $13/kg. Forgot to ask what is the difference between both.

probably segamat vs pahang msw.

If u buy early afternoon probably overnight pahang Msw

But MSW also got different grade, the MSW from Tangkak is diffferent from the one from Bentong or Raub. I prefer durians from hilly region, they are drier (within species) generally.

Tried D24 from an old tree recently, it is very good, better than some of the lower grade MSW I tried recently.

D24...............those from old trees.............are really really GOOD!!!!...........in fact apart from the bigger seeds compare to MSW..........I prefer D24....... [thumbsup]

Turbocharged

some pointers pls. so far i havent tried buying the durians in kgs. always either buy those packed ones or the 3 for$10/$20. for example now MSW is at $12-14/kg, how much would 3 durians be?

some pointers pls. so far i havent tried buying the durians in kgs. always either buy those packed ones or the 3 for$10/$20. for example now MSW is at $12-14/kg, how much would 3 durians be?

MSW would be about 2-3kg a fruit........................can expect anywhere from $70-$100............

Good News. Wan Bao reported due to abundance of durians supply from Pahang, price drops by 45% for Mao Shan Wang. Price is now $10/kg and forecast to drop further to $8/kg next week.

• Praise 3

Supercharged
I recommend 717 Trading at Yeo Chu Kang Road.
Extracts from their face book:
Fly down to 22 Yio Chu Kang Highland Centre today for this great offer! Mao Shan Wang going at only $8/kg!! Just one more day!! Woohoo!
News Flash 2/7/2014 ( You do not want to miss this offer! )

Nah..you do not have to burn a hole in your pocket with our 2days promotion 2/7/2014 -3/7/2014 starting from today!!!

Enjoy a durian feast when you come by to our shop from today onwards till 3/7/2014 Thursday!

Red Meat $4/kg
Small Seed $6/kg
XO/Green Bamboo/Golden Phoenix/Black Pearl/XXXO D24/ Tian Xiang/ Huang Shang Huang/Mao Shan Wang $8/kg

Old Tree XO Bitter/Old Tree Green Bamboo/Old Tree Golden Phoenix $12/kg

Old Tree Mao Shan Wang $15/kg

Delivery service is available at a charge. Please call us at 62877717 to enquire.

Dr Tay also did some write up on this durian trader.

http://ieatishootipost.sg/2012/07/717-trading-you-pay-for-what-you-get.html

I recommend 717 Trading at Yeo Chu Kang Road.
Extracts from their face book:
Fly down to 22 Yio Chu Kang Highland Centre today for this great offer! Mao Shan Wang going at only $8/kg!! Just one more day!! Woohoo!
News Flash 2/7/2014 ( You do not want to miss this offer! )

Nah..you do not have to burn a hole in your pocket with our 2days promotion 2/7/2014 -3/7/2014 starting from today!!!

Enjoy a durian feast when you come by to our shop from today onwards till 3/7/2014 Thursday!

Red Meat $4/kg

Small Seed $6/kg

XO/Green Bamboo/Golden Phoenix/Black Pearl/XXXO D24/ Tian Xiang/ Huang Shang Huang/Mao Shan Wang $8/kg

Old Tree XO Bitter/Old Tree Green Bamboo/Old Tree Golden Phoenix $12/kg

Old Tree Mao Shan Wang $15/kg

Delivery service is available at a charge. Please call us at 62877717 to enquire.

Dr Tay also did some write up on this durian trader.

http://ieatishootipost.sg/2012/07/717-trading-you-pay-for-what-you-get.html

i think you didn't read the comments.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/717-Trading/127701537234

• 1926785_10152189467318076_1870296826_n.j
    Kevin Tea I went there last night.. it was crowded and your guy told us only have Mao Shan Wang at $15/kg.. the rest NO good!!... upon hearing this, I left together with my wife to our usual stall for XO durian... think you need to tell your staff how to communicate to customer better!!..
    Like · Reply · 3 · 7 hours ago · Edited
    • 1914215_128889482234_3091168_n.jpg
      717 Trading Dear Kevin Tea Thank you for your feedback. We will inform the shop supervisor on this. Can I check what time did you arrive yesterday? As our $8/kg range was sold out pretty early. The rest of the other varieies Bwere running out fast as well. y 10pm even the $15/kg one was sold out. We apologise for the inconvenience caused.
    • 1255491_680232868671147_955545702_n.jpg
  • 10406564_10152135647471161_9195598680896
    Murali Narayanan Went down yesterday for your promotion, but i think some of your staff dunno about the promotion, I was charge D1/red meat/small seed @ $8/kg ....

I also taobao red meat/ small seed back, this time ur staff give me discount, @$6 per kg, but when making payment the counter girl say there's no $6/kg should be @ $7/kg .

Thought can save $$ end up was burn a hold for last night durian ...

(edited)

how to spot a Mao shan wang for durian noobs =) hope it helps

Thursday, 22 August 2013
How to Never be Sold a Fake Mao Shan Wang 猫山王 Durian Again
DSC_0142jk.jpg
pinterestx1_72.png

There is no doubt that the Mao Shan Wang 猫山王 or Musang King is the most popular and also most prized of all durians now. (The Mao Shan Wang is named after Gua Musang town, the main fruit trading centre in Kelantan, Malaysia. The cultivar is originally from the town of Tanah Merah, also in Kelantan.)

DSC_0198jk.jpg
pinterestx1_72.png

The texture of thick Mao Shan Wang flesh is rich and creamy like toasted marshmallow. On the palate Mao Shan Wang flesh tastes slightly bitter with sweet notes. On the nose, its aroma is sweet and mildly pungent without being overpowering.

DSC_0190jk.jpgDSC_0191jk.jpg

The Mao Shan Wang seed is flat and quite small.

DSC_0185jk.jpg
pinterestx1_72.png

Sometimes the waxy seed peeks out from folds in the slightly glowing yellow flesh. As you can see, the Mao Shan Wang flesh literary undrapes itself from the waxy seed.

While there is no question about the Mao Shan Wang's allure, identifying the real McCoy may sometimes be challenging.

This post aims to help us avoid fake Mao Shan Wang durians. Unfortunately, there is no 100% foolproof method against being sold a fake. We can, however, substantially improve our chances by learning more about the Mao Shan Wang.

Only the external identifying features are listed here as most durians are sold on an "once opened considered sold" basis unless it is obviously rotten or unripe.

To identify a real Mao Shan Wang, check that it has all the following five external features together. Other cultivars may have some but not all five features altogether.

Look out for these five external features in a single durian:

DSC_0049+jki.jpg
pinterestx1_72.png

Mao Shan Wang thorns are like small pyramids with flat angular sides unlike some other durians with conical thorns.

DSC_0208jk.jpg
pinterestx1_72.png

The thorns converge at the base of the stem forming a ring around it.

DSC_0199jk.jpg
pinterestx1_72.png

DSC_0034jk.jpg
pinterestx1_72.png

The Mao Shan Wang is mostly oval shaped like an egg or sometimes even a pear. Rarely, it is round like a bowling ball.

DSC_0008jk.jpg
pinterestx1_72.png

There is a characteristic brownish 5-arm "starfish" at the base of the Mao Shan Wang. The thin, longish arms warp the base of the durian and run up to the middle of the shell as if it is trying to hold it together tightly.

DSC_0027jk.jpg
pinterestx1_72.png

The "body" of the "starfish" is brownish in colour, flat and bald. It is not pointy or bulging and the thorns do not gather or converge here. In the Mao Shan Wang, the thorns at the base are parted away from the "bald patch".

Durians2+collage+MSW.jpg
pinterestx1_72.png

Before asking the durian seller to open the durian, look out for these five external features in a single durian.

With these five external identifying features, hopefully we never have to suffer another fake Mao Shan Wang again :)

Note: Learning about durians is like a journey - we become wiser as we taste and experience more. So, this post will be updated from time to time, as I explore more and hopefully understand durians better.)

Edited by Little_prince
  • Praise 2

No way. At 12 dollars per kg, I think 2 kg will be enough to kill you even if you don't eat dinner.

no lah. actually for MSW not many seeds in a durian. 2 person share 1 just nice for dessert....

tried one from pahang at botak kho last night... really sibei good =)