Alternator fail

Tcx607

Cost is rising !!!  Try to DIY as much as possible.

No harm learning a bit of Car diagmostics, OBD is easy these days with a smartphone.

Just a try, it really save money.  Change brake pads starting from $25 !!!

↡ Advertisement

Cost is rising !!!  Try to DIY as much as possible.

No harm learning a bit of Car diagmostics, OBD is easy these days with a smartphone.

Just a try, it really save money.  Change brake pads starting from $25 !!!

bro u conduct adhoc workshop i come support by buying minum..

if take too long i baojia oso..

Turbocharged

st.

Bro, if alternator spoilt will it affect the car radio system?

When my alternator show sign of dying, I drove home with Aircon n radio off.

Next day, tow to ws.

Changed new alternator. After collected the car,i noticed my LCD player (LCD Screen) cannot press any button. WS act blur , say not their problem. and LL I changed the LCD panel for about s$700

Edited by Mcf777

Bro, if alternator spoilt will it affect the car radio system?

When my alternator show sign of dying, I drove home with Aircon n radio off.

Next day, tow to ws.

Changed new alternator. After collected the car,i noticed my LCD player (LCD Screen) cannot press any button. WS act blur , say not their problem. and LL I changed the LCD panel for about s$700

Depends on what the alternator is doing.

Normally, the voltage regulator inside the alternator controls and regulate the output voltage to a nominal 14Vdc, regardless whether you are revving the engine or at idle.

If that regulator fails, the alternator might put out excessive voltage well above 18Vdc.

This is extremely dangerous, as it might caused damage to battery due to overcharging and overheating.

Headlights will be extra bright and burn out in a short time.

It might fry ECU, ICE and other electronic devices designed to work around 14Vdc.

However, if the alternator simply dies and stop putting out any voltage, then the only risk is a flat battery.

It is unlikely to damage anything else.

As for your LCD, it's hard to say. If it's a busy w/s, I don't think the mechs have the time to play with your LCD.

It really depends on how the w/s boss and management treats customer cars and/or enforced discipline.

If it's lax, then the mechs can do whatever they want.

If the boss is strict, then the mechs are unlikely to treat customer cars as their plaything.

Once a car is left with the w/s, it is their responsiblity, to a certain extent.

• Praise 1

Alternator is a very hardy item.

Usually how it failed is the carbon brush ran out or the rectifier board fail. All the item can be replaced at a function of a alternator replacement.

Cost me $60 to change bearing and carbon brushes.

R U sure they have carbon brushes ??

Usually how it failed is the carbon brush ran out or the rectifier board fail. All the item can be replaced at a function of a alternator replacement.

yup, did mine the same way at a specialize alternator workshop in bukit batok.

workshops normally ask cars to change the whole alternator [knife]

What shop and address, I think this important. Once alternator fail, the car has to be towed.

What shop and address, I think this important. Once alternator fail, the car has to be towed.

You might also wanna to consider this shop located at Bukit Merah.....  They quite good dealing with alternator. 

Lion City Electric Pte Ltd

Address: 1001 Bukit Merah Lane 3, Singapore 159718

You might also wanna to consider this shop located at Bukit Merah.....  They quite good dealing with alternator. 

Lion City Electric Pte Ltd

Address: 1001 Bukit Merah Lane 3, Singapore 159718

Thumbs up for lion city! they fixed my alternator for me too at reasonable price... unlike Caprice which is located at 1008 Bukit Merah Lane 3, Singapore 159722 who told me its my starter and battery which is causing the battery light to appear on dash.

Motor starter and alternator is 2 different part.

Starter crank your engine to start while alternator generate electricity for the car after engine power up and supply electricity to all the equipment such as radio, amplifier, lighting, electronic parts etc

If alternator fails, you still can drive your car but don't turn on aircon or radio system cos all electricity taken from battery. Very soon battery also goes flat.

Motor starter has carbon brush and can be replaced. Never experience alternator replace carbon brush????

Edited by Tcx607

Bro which shop is that in that page?

Able to share?

Thanks in advance!

Motor starter and alternator is 2 different part.

Starter crank your engine to start while alternator generate electricity for the car after engine power up and supply electricity to all the equipment such as radio, amplifier, lighting, electronic parts etc

If alternator fails, you still can drive your car but don't turn on aircon or radio system cos all electricity taken from battery. Very soon battery also goes flat.

Motor starter has carbon brush and can be replaced. Never experience alternator replace carbon brush????

I studied DC machines over 20 yrs ago. I vaguely remembers they use carbon brushes.

Only AC machines don't use carbon brush.

So in a car, the starter motor and alternator are DC (12V) machines and they both use carbon brushes.

Check out here how to replace alternator carbon brush.

http://www.howacarworks.com/electrical-systems/renewing-alternator-brushes

Having said that, new technology now has DC machines which are totally brushless, such as DC cordless and brushless impact driver and drills.

I studied DC machines over 20 yrs ago. I vaguely remembers they use carbon brushes.

Only AC machines don't use carbon brush.

So in a car, the starter motor and alternator are DC (12V) machines and they both use carbon brushes.

Check out here how to replace alternator carbon brush.

http://www.howacarworks.com/electrical-systems/renewing-alternator-brushes

Having said that, new technology now has DC machines which are totally brushless, such as DC cordless and brushless impact driver and drills.

car alternators are AC

there is a rectifier in the alternator converting it to DC

Was just talking about it here and my friend reported that his Renault Van kenna.

Here is the ODO reading when failed.

Cost him $120 - Change brush.

Total Damage is actually $300 lor ..... the knife is sure sharp ....

post-170907-0-55634800-1474956182_thumb.jpg

Edited by Apple-Tree
↡ Advertisement