Alternator fail

Tcx607

Yes just get recon one. Should cost less than $200 and should be able to last you till the end of coe.

↡ Advertisement

If you ask me, i say change a new one. Left 2.5yrs to go, not say very short. My friend changed to a recon unit and it spoil less than 1 year later. Getting recon stuff is like buying toto.

I just asked my mech shop to check my MIM car's alternator.......10 yrs at 130 000 and still running fine (boss say wan).....heng arr!

Bro @othello.....ya i know sure kana chop carrot but $24** is blardy ex sia! If 1k for cny eve is okay de.....i ask them can get recon as the car only left about 1 year left. They said new yr difficult to find recon......haiz! I will never go to that shop if i can help it.....maybe can buy accessories but their mark up.....wahliao! Magnetic sun screen they selling for nearly $90......lazada sold at $45......lucky i told my friend about lazada deals....if not another 1 tio carrot.

Neutral Newbie

WAhahaha 

8years old altis they tell u 1k over for alternator.

u tell them their parang very sharp [knife]

Not 8 years, it is 12.5 years, already renewed COE.

(edited)

$1160. probably can buy 3pcs from stockist!

or get it refurb at this place. they used to be at Geylang.

https://www.facebook.com/DeShengTrading/

Thanks for sharing.

Was on biz trip since Monday and this morning upon cranking, can hear a distinctive whining. After car warmed up, whining sound went off but will come on whenever i accelerate. Voltmeter also showing low voltage(11+) for battery from usual(13+). Googled what may be the issue and pinpoint it to likely alternator issue.

Worried my battery will be drained soon. Called De Sheng to confirm they have recon alternator for my car and went down. They tested the battery and advised capacity was low. Eliminated the whining sound when they unplugged the alternator. So confirmed alternator fault.

Quoted $250 for recon set. Was advised brand new will be about $1k. As my car left 1.5 yrs, went ahead with recon set. Switch done within 30 mins. 3 months warranty for the recon set.

Edited by 159er

Just want to share my experience as well.

I drove up to malaysia and noticed a whistling sound in my engine.  It sounds like wind forcing through broken hole, and became louder when i stepped on the accelerator. 

When coming back, i decided to stop at Hawk Tayer in JB to check.  The shop said the alternator spoilt, and the aircon is down because no power from the alternator.  No choice because the kids cannot take no aircon so changed the a OEM alternator at RM$550.  The sound went off but the aircon still down. Very pissed off when the WS said "Oh, then it's not the alternator." WTF.  So, next time, if anybody tells you the aircon is down because of alternator, that's BS.  Btw, my ride is a vios.  

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I drove up to malaysia and noticed a whistling sound in my engine.  It sounds like wind forcing through broken hole, and became louder when i stepped on the accelerator. 

When coming back, i decided to stop at Hawk Tayer in JB to check.  The shop said the alternator spoilt, and the aircon is down because no power from the alternator.  No choice because the kids cannot take no aircon so changed the a OEM alternator at RM$550.  The sound went off but the aircon still down. Very pissed off when the WS said "Oh, then it's not the alternator." WTF.  So, next time, if anybody tells you the aircon is down because of alternator, that's BS.  Btw, my ride is a vios.  

Some cars with a lot of electronics control will do this to you when alternator spoil. I just had my guy pick me from the airport in China and the battery sign shows up. I told him to drive direct to his friend's WS cos those at the highway to tok you. 

Indeed, as the alternator not charge, battery sign lights up, as battery power gets less and less, each system starts to cut off one by one, first it was Sound system, then AC, then Power Steering, then all other lights including the instrument board lighting. Finally we reach the WS and confirm it is the alternator issue. 

If Vios, then more simple system, maybe the belt is not turning the alternator. 

BTW, check out my previous thread on Ho Hup Seng, we call that re-con alternator, it cost only over 200 to 300 plus only. Info for the good of all bros.....Cheers

• Praise 1

Some cars with a lot of electronics control will do this to you when alternator spoil. I just had my guy pick me from the airport in China and the battery sign shows up. I told him to drive direct to his friend's WS cos those at the highway to tok you. 

Indeed, as the alternator not charge, battery sign lights up, as battery power gets less and less, each system starts to cut off one by one, first it was Sound system, then AC, then Power Steering, then all other lights including the instrument board lighting. Finally we reach the WS and confirm it is the alternator issue. 

If Vios, then more simple system, maybe the belt is not turning the alternator. 

BTW, check out my previous thread on Ho Hup Seng, we call that re-con alternator, it cost only over 200 to 300 plus only. Info for the good of all bros.....Cheers

Well, my battery light is not even up.  It just the sound.  So, can't be sure whether the alternator really failed.  Anyway, the alternator they gave is a new one for RM$550.  Not that expensive.  It's OEM and hawk warranty for 2 months.  Good enough because my car just left with few months.  

My fd4A has this whistling sound for more than a month whenever I accelerate, but sound will stop when in cruise. No issues with aircon and drive. Wonder what's the issue?

Supersonic

If the battery sign on your dashboard light up when the engine is running, it indicates a charging problem.

That charging problem is either the belt (broken or otherwise) not turning the alternator or the alternator itself is not working.

The battery sign light works by voltage difference. If the votlage from the alternator is higher or equal to the battery, the light goes off. So if the voltage from the alternator is not there, then the battery sign lights up.

• Praise 1

My fd4A has this whistling sound for more than a month whenever I accelerate, but sound will stop when in cruise. No issues with aircon and drive. Wonder what's the issue?

Likely a worn bearing or belt slip. Go to a workshop, can be easily diagnosed.

Likely a worn bearing or belt slip. Go to a workshop, can be easily diagnosed.

I did inform the work shop when I changed my absorber. As usual everything was "ok" when test driven. No sound. And back again there after. The drive and other mechanism has no visible issues. The drive was normal other than the sound. He did check the belt.

Thanks for the reply and I hope all is fine.

I drove up to malaysia and noticed a whistling sound in my engine. It sounds like wind forcing through broken hole, and became louder when i stepped on the accelerator.

When coming back, i decided to stop at Hawk Tayer in JB to check. The shop said the alternator spoilt, and the aircon is down because no power from the alternator. No choice because the kids cannot take no aircon so changed the a OEM alternator at RM$550. The sound went off but the aircon still down. Very pissed off when the WS said "Oh, then it's not the alternator." WTF. So, next time, if anybody tells you the aircon is down because of alternator, that's BS. Btw, my ride is a vios.

Actually the workshop not entirely wrong, a faulty alternator might cause the AC to malfunction. However, sure have some accompanying symptoms, like dimming lights etc

But yeah, workshop is pulling a fast one without doing a proper check.

Hi all, I'm new to this forum.

Just paid $1980 (before GST) for a 2015 Nissan Sylphy 1.6L alternator replacement.

I believe I have been overcharged.

The breakdown of cost as shown:

Original New Alternator $1900

Workmanship $80

Opinions please?

Hi all, I'm new to this forum.

Just paid $1980 (before GST) for a 2015 Nissan Sylphy 1.6L alternator replacement.

I believe I have been overcharged.

The breakdown of cost as shown:

Original New Alternator $1900

Workmanship $80

Opinions please?

Ringgit or sing$?
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1