Food for thought: Educated vs Intelligent

RadX

I find the students now chum.... Indeed, the syllabus now is so much more application-based but the assessment is still exam-based. So, cannot spot question and at the same time kena graded like the old system. Die laa.... <_<

bloody oxymoron. My gripe here is the teachers, are they prepared for it too? Although the role has metamorphosised to that of facilitation, there still must be an element of competence and confidence. I would think that most of the old guard are still teaching the new style topics? a retraining perhaps had been done

↡ Advertisement

Nb haha many la think jack neo also no degree but can have so many money and sex scandal

Btw the author very intelligent hor, one idea only but can write so much

muahahha..sounds like a certain porritician i know, from wash ceiling, come in other things bah.... [laugh] [laugh] but still just 1 thing

this has been discussed here ad nauseum, ie, what defines success?

Most would give you the shallow 5Cs, but there is more to it, and as I mingle, I am seeing more going beyond that to include things like philantrophy, work-lifef, family etc. Success, is defined by whom?

Lots of Qns come up here esp during CNY visits....hahaha

successful businessman and respectable businessman

what's the differences also? [laugh]

I see he is tackling from all levels, seem to me a super heavy load and commitment, hope it can hold on till the end, but then what will the result look like?

but indeed, a revamp of the system is due. MOE has been pretty aggressive in this stance since Heng took over.

Edited by Jman888

I see he is tackling from all levels, seem to me a super heavy load and commitment,

hope it and hold on till the end, but then what will the result look like?

we wun really know bro, until maybe 15 yrs down the road. I remember that they said, dabbling in education fundamentals is risky. Although they have done their surveys of different systems worldwide like Japan, Sweden, finland, Aus etc...the rigorous debate is still ensuing. No one fixed formula lah.

Education is dynamic afterall

successful businessman and respectable businessman

what's the differences also? [laugh]

hmmm, can they co-exist? [laugh] [laugh]

Vicmental, come in anytime!!!

Educated Singaporeans, but not Intelligent

SEP 12

Dear all,

Singapore is a really weird country indeed. Singaporeans love to brag about how Singapore

Reads like it's written by some jiak kantang ginna pi from "good" school" venting his angst. Too much name-calling to be taken seriously, even if he has somewhat valid points.

oi! u dun make porritikar hor...... [laugh] [laugh]

but indeed, a revamp of the system is due. MOE has been pretty aggressive in this stance since Heng took over.

there are a lot of issues and policies that needed to be revamp starting with COE

there are a lot of issues and policies that needed to be revamp starting with COE

Eh wrong thread ... Lol

oi! u dun make porritikar hor...... [laugh] [laugh]

Wasn't my intention laaa Mr Mod haha [:p]

Don't OT here bah, there's the COE refinement thread if you wanna give your inputs or thoughts on the issue.

In the simplistic Singaporean mind, the difference between these two can hardly be noticed. The typical Singaporean simpleton equates anyone who does well in their academics as intelligent, and anyone who perform below par in their academics are just

Personally, natural intelligence beats education anytime. Unfortunately, since its either born-with or obtained via life's schools of hard-harder-hardest knocks, the world at large generally is not comfortable with an intangible form of measuring each person's "intelligence", hence education at the very least, provides a common platform to measure.

Many graduates from Hard Knocks University often lacks just paper qualifications but in terms of moving up the success ladder, did not lose out to those from recognised institutions. I once heard a true account of how a highly educated young man who was often seen buying cutlery from a local supermarket regularly until the cashier could not help asking, out of curiosity why he needed to buy so often. His reply? Cos he threw away each set after one use. He did not know he could just wash them and reuse for eternity, well, almost. Perhaps, some would argue it's more due to his lack of EQ than IQ.

Anyways, education is here to stay..... in the hopes that at the very least, there is a systematic way of grading how each person fares on common knowledge, though these days, what's lacking is more common sense than mere knowledge. There will always be tweaks here and there to suit each generation or different times one live in.....what may work now may be a topic of laughter or despair for the next. In a way, from a fishing village to where we are here now, education played a vital role. Let's not be hasty in throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Just my thoughts.... it is important to have trail blazers once awhile to dazzle the world with intelligence but education is just as necessary to equip the general population with some knowledge, I rather be literate than illiterate anytime. If I am bestowed with more intelligence than most, then, let me be a useful person to mankind and leave a mark for eternity.

Safe ride

Cheers

Edited by PSP415
  • Praise 1

Nb haha many la think jack neo also no degree but can have so many money and sex scandal

Btw the author very intelligent hor, one idea only but can write so much

this one any of our MCF troll can do that lah.

example?? look at all the flaming thread.

Japan vs korea car

Road hogger vs Tailgater

Round about rule

COE

.etc.

:ph34r:

↡ Advertisement