Food for thought: Educated vs Intelligent

RadX

The old dinos are still in the MOE organisation.... even with the so called new curriculum, the old dinos are still in the old mindset. How to teach the young properly? It's very typical govt meaning of "corporatisation" Change the front but still rotten inside.

They've still not resolved the problem of what to do with the students who are not interested in schooling.

Today's system seems hell-bent on keeping them in school no matter what. Disciplinary infractions, etc. etc. regardless of seriousness are punished with mere wrist-slaps like reflection-writing. Standards of behaviour are dropping, no thanks also to misguided parents that coddle their children.

I've heard from school teacher friends that it is very difficult to fail and expel a student these days. As a result, teachers tend to close one eye and pack off the students to be the next stage's problems, ultimately landing at employers' doorsteps! Let the real world sort them out.

MOE should focus more on what can be done for "attitude correction" while the students are still in school. Character education is largely a failure! Currently it seems like every party in the education system is "passing the buck", passing off undeserving students, then giving employers lots of headache with employees that do not have the right attitude for the workplace.

Edited by Sosaria
↡ Advertisement

the limits of human brain is endless, since we are thought to have only used some few % of it.

education should form a base of our knowledge, while life skills (call it street smart-ness, surrounding awareness, general knowledge etc.) must form part of the education, although it is not easy to measure it.

that's y there is this WDA establishing work skills qualification instead of the usual academic one. but i felt the need to incorporate life skills into edu from primary onwards.

so far, most valued is public speaking and leadership skills, as i've observed. specific skills r usually deemed less useful (read: less prospect), except probably legal, medical fields.

They've still not resolved the problem of what to do with the students who are not interested in schooling.

Today's system seems hell-bent on keeping them in school no matter what. Disciplinary infractions, etc. etc. regardless of seriousness are punished with mere wrist-slaps like reflection-writing. Standards of behaviour are dropping, no thanks also to misguided parents that coddle their children.

I've heard from school teacher friends that it is very difficult to fail and expel a student these days. As a result, teachers tend to close one eye and pack off the students to be the next stage's problems, ultimately landing at employers' doorsteps! Let the real world sort them out.

MOE should focus more on what can be done for "attitude correction" while the students are still in school. Character education is largely a failure! Currently it seems like every party in the education system is "passing the buck", passing off undeserving students, then giving employers lots of headache with employees that do not have the right attitude for the workplace.

employers (read: immediate superiors) may not even wanna do this dirty job! everyone wanna be nice guy.

If you have time, the discussions in the following thread is a good read.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ptopic60427.html

btw, skip the first post or some long winded retorts.

Read with an open mind.

Are we being held hostage to kiasuism , or gasp, suffering from stockholm syndrome, sympathizing the captors, or even championing the values?

Edited by Oblong

This post by Kosmo..power!!!!

bigfilsing said (in another thread),"You're obviously a Singaporean that doesn

that's jus the TIT of the iceberg...... [laugh] [laugh]

those are quite big TITs. I think Im going blind. My brain cannot take the information overload.

Anyway, I think the quality of the expats has rapidly declined.

from a personal POV, a vast majority of them that arrived in the past 5 years really dont quite cut it.

those are quite big TITs. I think Im going blind. My brain cannot take the information overload.

Anyway, I think the quality of the expats has rapidly declined.

from a personal POV, a vast majority of them that arrived in the past 5 years really dont quite cut it.

i agree w you. they are no longer the kind that came here 10 yrs ago, and proved they were indeed superior.

with Asians moving ahead, the gap has narrowed

i agree w you. they are no longer the kind that came here 10 yrs ago, and proved they were indeed superior.

with Asians moving ahead, the gap has narrowed

and its not just in terms of technical expertise. they are getting uglier by the day. and i dont mean looks. [laugh]

That funny guy kosmo, talk so much for what.

All these Asian people going on about their supposed IQ superiority.

Smacks of an inferiority complex to me.

So, if Singapore is nothing without expats, fine. Show them instead of just talking about it.

Btw, without all the Western and Japanese MNCs, oil and gas and financial institutions and the accompanying expats coming here in the '70s and '80s, giving us jobs and paying our employees well and growing our economy, Singapore would not be what it is today. That's just a historical fact. No need to get worked up over it.

kosmopolitan wrote: (supposed to be a Singaporean)

I noticed an interesting fact there there is no equivalence of "excuse me" in Mandarin. I noticed this when I was trapped in a crowded elevator in Taiwan, trying to get off. I ended up pushing my way out b4 the doors closed instead.

taxico wrote:

"BU(4) HAO(3) YI(4) SI(4)" is what the rest of the mandarin speaking world uses.

in taiwan, mi(4) nan(2) (aka fujian dialect) is widely accepted so you can also use "pai(2) seh(4)"

kosmopolitan wrote:

Thks for the tip. It didn't occur to me that word which actually literally means "It's rather embarrassing" could be used. (my reaction is WTF [dizzy] )

need an expat to teach him how to use "paiseh" [dead]

Edited by Somewhat1975

That funny guy kosmo, talk so much for what.

All these Asian people going on about their supposed IQ superiority.

Smacks of an inferiority complex to me.

So, if Singapore is nothing without expats, fine. Show them instead of just talking about it.

Btw, without all the Western and Japanese MNCs, oil and gas and financial institutions and the accompanying expats coming here in the '70s and '80s, giving us jobs and paying our employees well and growing our economy, Singapore would not be what it is today. That's just a historical fact. No need to get worked up over it.

on the part of those from the 70/80s, i agree bro, totally. They imparted their skills and expertise to our locals and built it to what it is today.

However, of late, we have been seeing not so good news abt the new fellas coming here. Has anything changed?

And you should see the way Singaporean executives behave when working in supposedly "inferior" Asian countries... Talk about respect for the local culture?? In fact I must say that the western expats in Singapore behave much better than our Singaporean expats in other countries, especially in "third world" countries.

And you should see the way Singaporean executives behave when working in supposedly "inferior" Asian countries... Talk about respect for the local culture?? In fact I must say that the western expats in Singapore behave much better than our Singaporean expats in other countries, especially in "third world" countries.

Yes, we have heard those horror stories, and guess that is how the 'sg reputation' gained it's recognition.

When I travelled last time, i kinda feel embarrassed sometimes by the antics taken by our countrymen, really! Again, not to smear the entire cohort with the stroke of a brush, as there are the majority who are civilised

↡ Advertisement