Work-life balance? Know trade-offs too

Jman888

This is where even the PM is confused...

Work-life balance does NOT mean slowing down pace of work, with resulting less productivity.

It means cutting down on those UNNECESSARY long hours spent on non-productive work activity. Time that could be better spent handling our personal interests or with family.

Many people have to work long hours, but a lot of the time is spent unnecessarily on:

(1) non-productive paperwork, e.g. appraisals, mid-year reviews, etc. If you're not on track or due for a promotion this year, why bother at all to spend time composing a nice write-up?

(2) meetings or committee work on non-productive issues unrelated to the bottom-line. I'm sure many of us can come up with examples.

(3) paperwork that results from convoluted processes done up simply to fulfill some misguided quality requirement.

(4) Etc. etc. all the "wayang" stuff that goes on in your workplace.

Cut down all of these things, and there you have your work-life balance, without doing less work, actually!

yup..... [nod]

paid millions only to look after ceilings and needs a Paliament sitting to iron it out.... :ph34r:

This is where even the PM is confused...

Work-life balance does NOT mean slowing down pace of work, with resulting less productivity.

It means cutting down on those UNNECESSARY long hours spent on non-productive work activity. Time that could be better spent handling our personal interests or with family.

Many people have to work long hours, but a lot of the time is spent unnecessarily on:

(1) non-productive paperwork, e.g. appraisals, mid-year reviews, etc. If you're not on track or due for a promotion this year, why bother at all to spend time composing a nice write-up?

(2) meetings or committee work on non-productive issues unrelated to the bottom-line. I'm sure many of us can come up with examples.

(3) paperwork that results from convoluted processes done up simply to fulfill some misguided quality requirement.

(4) Etc. etc. all the "wayang" stuff that goes on in your workplace.

Cut down all of these things, and there you have your work-life balance, without doing less work, actually!

u sound like u r from the civil service with all these example.

• Praise 1

I think he's worried that we become less competitive with the pursue of work-life balance and probably it will affect the GDP figures. LoL...

I think there's no cause for worry. Although sgporeans are after work-life balance they are not totally ignoring their roles & responsibility at their workplaces. I still feel ppl are responsible of what they do at work but only wish to spent more time with the family. I think everyone think alike when it comes to this. We do not want to come home so exhausted we do not want to do anything with the family. Work stress is still unavoidable. We have to learn to manage it and not bring it back home. LoL...

I think he's worried that we become less competitive with the pursue of work-life balance and probably it will affect the GDP figures. LoL...

I think there's no cause for worry. Although sgporeans are after work-life balance they are not totally ignoring their roles & responsibility at their workplaces. I still feel ppl are responsible of what they do at work but only wish to spent more time with the family. I think everyone think alike when it comes to this. We do not want to come home so exhausted we do not want to do anything with the family. Work stress is still unavoidable. We have to learn to manage it and not bring it back home. LoL...

well said. but hard to argue that if mr tan and mr lim are both hardworking 100%, if mr tan work 8 hours a day and mr lim work 16 hrs, mr lim is more bang for buck for company until he collapses from exhaustion or stress!

• Praise 1

well said. but hard to argue that if mr tan and mr lim are both hardworking 100%, if mr tan work 8 hours a day and mr lim work 16 hrs, mr lim is more bang for buck for company until he collapses from exhaustion or stress!

get mr eduardo to place mr lim lor [laugh][laugh][laugh]

And this too I realise tt the young still want to climb

Recently resignations at all time high at my place... Sense sth wrong w the force

resignations are a common thing coz job mkt is still very good. that's a sign of a thriving economy n we shld treasure the sunshine while it lasts.

US or EU graduates would be envious of our situation. "taking it slow" or "slow-down" would prob be on the bottom of their vocab.

US or EU graduates would be envious of our situation. "taking it slow" or "slow-down" would prob be on the bottom of their vocab.

theyve been coming here ever since 2009. dont u see more italian, french SMLJ FTs here opening restaurants etc? i dont mind as long they dont bring whole clan here n deny singies jobs

Edited by Duckduck

I think material wealth is a means not an end...

do we want to be just money making machines but hollow inside?

I think what Aung San Suu Kyi basically sums it up:

From today newspaper:

Ms Suu Kyi recounted her visit to ITE College East, where she made a remark to Singapore officials that

but hard to argue that if mr tan and mr lim are both hardworking 100%, if mr tan work 8 hours a day and mr lim work 16 hrs, mr lim is more bang for buck for company until he collapses from exhaustion or stress!

as you can see, in office there are different kind of persons.... :ph34r:

one who always give ideals & suggestions cos he/she did not have to follow-up on it .... :angry:

the other b'cos of this person, have to work hard .... [:(]

From today newspaper:

Ms Suu Kyi recounted her visit to ITE College East, where she made a remark to Singapore officials that

theyve been coming here ever since 2009. dont u see more italian, french SMLJ FTs here opening restaurants etc? i dont mind as long they dont bring whole clan here n deny singies jobs

why? you've been opening french and italian restaurants meh? [hur]

From today newspaper:

why? you've been opening french and italian restaurants meh? [hur]

huh i open for wat? u never read my reply i write again: as long they dont bring whole clan here n deny singies jobs.

And this too I realise tt the young still want to climb

Recently resignations at all time high at my place... Sense sth wrong w the force

Climb coffin or the Kim sua Gng sua that is meant for burning?

Your Sai Gong all resigning? [flowerface]

From today newspaper:

Ms Suu Kyi recounted her visit to ITE College East, where she made a remark to Singapore officials that “education in Singapore, as in many other countries, seems to be workforce oriented”.

“That made me think … what is the purpose of a workforce … of work … of material wealth? Is that the ultimate aim of human beings, is that what we all want? In a sense, I want to probe more into successes of Singapore and to find out what we can achieve beyond that.”

Ms Suu Kyi said that while “material achievement” is necessary for the Myanmar people so they can be “free from want”, they had survived many years of oppression with values such as love for each other, loyalty and spirituality. “So there were many things that helped us to survive that had little to do with material achievement,” she said.

:D I certainly hope our pm got some of those words. Not everything is about growth. And growth figures doesn't mean ppl are happy. Sgp is becoming some kinda sweat shop. Ppl work work work and have no fun. Even trying to get some work-life balance also tio some kinda warning about trade-offs. Where's the joy in work dan?

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement