Work-life balance? Know trade-offs too

Jman888

The usual fear-mongering because the upper echelons are benefitting the most and lining their coffers from all this economic growth whilst the lower and middle incomes face stagnant wages, job insecurity and inflation.

If you don't slog, tomorrow Singapore will sink into the sea, you dunno meh? Do you want that? You want work-life balance? Then YOU will be personally responsible for the downfall of Singapore. It will be your fault when your wives and daughters become maids in other countries. Blah blah blah....

The early apples were now ripening, and the grass of the orchard was littered with windfalls. The animals had assumed as a matter of course that these would be shared out equally; one day, however, the order went forth that all the windfalls were to be collected and brought to the harness-room for the use of the pigs. At this some of the other animals murmured, but it was no use. All the pigs were in full agreement on this point, even Snowball and Napoleon. Squealer was sent to make the necessary explanations to the others.

"Comrades!" he cried. "You do not imagine, I hope, that we pigs are doing this in a spirit of selfishness and privilege? Many of us actually dislike milk and apples. I dislike them myself. Our sole object in taking these things is to preserve our health. Milk and apples (this has been proved by Science, comrades) contain substances absolutely necessary to the well-being of a pig. We pigs are brainworkers. The whole management and organisation of this farm depend on us. Day and night we are watching over your welfare. It is for YOUR sake that we drink that milk and eat those apples. Do you know what would happen if we pigs failed in our duty? Jones would come back! Yes, Jones would come back! Surely, comrades," cried Squealer almost pleadingly, skipping from side to side and whisking his tail, "surely there is no one among you who wants to see Jones come back?"

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

When my contract with the SAF was about to expire, I received an invitation from MINDEF to attend a morale talk...seemingly to ask us to consider a second contract. It was during those days where you can hardly get ppl to sign on...unlike now where they actually reject applicants.

Amongst us was a regular admin clerk.

We were all very certain of our departure so the BG ended his morale talk abruptly and ask us what MINDEF could do to improve.

Then this Admin clerk said, "We should adopt a 4 days' week"

Immediately the BG's face turned red and retorted, "YOU ARE A SOLDIER!!"

These are the type that will spoil the market...give you an inch, you want a yard.

Otherwise worklife balance practised in a moderate sense is long overdue [flowerface]

think about it guys, when she ask singaporeans to relax, what is she doing? back home, she is urging her countryman to rise out from the ashes and work hard! strive for their new future. think for ourselves. everyone has their own vested interest lah. rhetoric only goes so far.

think about it guys, when she ask singaporeans to relax, what is she doing? back home, she is urging her countryman to rise out from the ashes and work hard! strive for their new future. think for ourselves. everyone has their own vested interest lah. rhetoric only goes so far.

tell people i neber study but ownself go home studyy hard hard, neber kua dian see kee (watch tv), pah ipad (play ipad) and pah peh kee (play aeroplane) [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Do you know whats worklife balance? It means working at home with access to company files, emails and ip phone. So essentially it is worse as you tend to work more as you have everything in fromt of you. Not like in office where you go home at 7pm and thats it.

The only good thing is that you can rest in yr bed for an hour during lunch time and take care of kids

But you are expected to work later than office based people. Even checking your emails at 11pm at night if need be

So what are you talking about worklife balance not cheonging enough?

Edited by Ooosh

Worklife balance and working from home no same lah ... what talking you?

Work in orpit go home no need check email meh?

Work till 7pm and go home is worklife balance. After 7 pm still lingering around because boss is still around or all other colleagues waiting for each other to leave first is called wayang in the name of cheonging [rolleyes]

I have seen ppl stay back till very late just to use company stationaries and logistics to print her son's assessment papers [rolleyes] Cheong simi?

Edited by Poohbor

hmm

i choose places near to my house to work,trade off the money for time

coz i like reach home earlier then can do what i like

is consider trade off or lazy?haha ,anyway $1000-$2000 dont affect my lifestyle much even got these differences

if i no $ just live no $ style..not born rich also..so adapt liao..haha

it doesn't mean working at home, it mean work in office at reasonable hours and not worry too much after work.

There are people who work pass 9pm in office yet continue to work when they reach home. However, more people are aware of the balance they need and request to go home before 7pm and no work at home or weekend, which is what most of the younger generation would like to have.

Do you know whats worklife balance? It means working at home with access to company files, emails and ip phone. So essentially it is worse as you tend to work more as you have everything in fromt of you. Not like in office where you go home at 7pm and thats it.

The only good thing is that you can rest in yr bed for an hour during lunch time and take care of kids

But you are expected to work later than office based people. Even checking your emails at 11pm at night if need be

So what are you talking about worklife balance not cheonging enough?

as we can also see there is a trade-off, she wants her country to prosper and she wants singapore to be relax :huh::huh:

I think this is where most people are missing the point. We trade off other people. We make them work harder while we enjoy. That's the whole thing about trading off.

that is our personal trade off as i mentioned, income vs time.

some choose to slow down as in step down from more challenging environment (downgrade role, less productive role, etc), that would have an impact if more people choose to do so.

hmm

i choose places near to my house to work,trade off the money for time

coz i like reach home earlier then can do what i like

is consider trade off or lazy?haha ,anyway $1000-$2000 dont affect my lifestyle much even got these differences

if i no $ just live no $ style..not born rich also..so adapt liao..haha

I think this is where most people are missing the point. We trade off other people. We make them work harder while we enjoy. That's the whole thing about trading off.

that is exactly what i was referring to :D

At my age...I practice worklife balance.

At work, I suka suka kopi with Ah Pork and log on to mcf all the time [laugh]

And when I reach home at 6pm, my neighbour will say, "Wah today so late ah?"

[laugh]

tell people i neber study but ownself go home studyy hard hard, neber kua dian see kee (watch tv), pah ipad (play ipad) and pah peh kee (play aeroplane) [laugh][laugh][laugh]

I say SAF should sign up such people to fight our enemies [thumbsup]

Why?

Coz they are master of deceptions n decoys :D

After tricking, then beating our enemies n winning the battles, sure get promotions to become simi four, five stars 将军 aka generals [thumbsup]

Then wat?

Then stand in GRC in next General Erection aka 将军蓝叫硬 lor... Sure enter parliament one

Edited by Maseratigood

At my age...I practice worklife balance.

At work, I suka suka kopi with Ah Pork and log on to mcf all the time [laugh]

And when I reach home at 6pm, my neighbour will say, "Wah today so late ah?"

[laugh]

nb.....still dare say..... <_< <_<

This is where even the PM is confused...

Work-life balance does NOT mean slowing down pace of work, with resulting less productivity.

It means cutting down on those UNNECESSARY long hours spent on non-productive work activity. Time that could be better spent handling our personal interests or with family.

Many people have to work long hours, but a lot of the time is spent unnecessarily on:

(1) non-productive paperwork, e.g. appraisals, mid-year reviews, etc. If you're not on track or due for a promotion this year, why bother at all to spend time composing a nice write-up?

(2) meetings or committee work on non-productive issues unrelated to the bottom-line. I'm sure many of us can come up with examples.

(3) paperwork that results from convoluted processes done up simply to fulfill some misguided quality requirement.

(4) Etc. etc. all the "wayang" stuff that goes on in your workplace.

Cut down all of these things, and there you have your work-life balance, without doing less work, actually!

quite true . . pruss one [thumbsup]

Basically we all want the same thing, is to be Happy

15 Things You Should Give Up To Be Happy

When it comes to work, I always find that it all boils down to whether you want do it, or not.

Don't make yourself unhappy thinking that it should be somebody else's work, or another department's responsibility, or a higher-up's scope of work, etc.

If you want it done, then take up the work involved.

If you really feel that you should not be doing it and strongly feel that it is not right for you to do it, then time to move on and look for another job! [laugh]

Actually, having work-life balance also does not simply mean "go home early or on time".

It can also mean FLEXIBLE-time work, where a person still puts in his hours on the job, but on his flexible schedule. I think most people just need that.

↡ Advertisement