Let's talk about NS... good memories or nightmares?

Scion

I SIR Gulliemard Camp 85-87. From recruit to ORD.

Brunei is tough bcos of the terrain. Mt Biang and Pendayan takes the cake. My coy 84 gunner a very big and tuff man cried for help as he cannot take the climb up of Mt Biang with his 84mm. my nx bed died during our recruit days and can tell you the sound of him crying for assistance at night a few days before his death still haunt me (maybe the whole section as we never talk about that dead fella from the time of his death till we finish reservist)

Most scary moment was when we did section ambush in P Tekong on a friday night! while waiting for the 'enemy' i could hear a girl singing lullaby inside the jungle...just close my eyes and hoped for the best. [bigcry]

Reservist one medic died on Mt Biang...a very sad case!

Your ns days went through 2 death of fellow camp mates?! :blink: Sounds scary how come he was crying for assistance before his death?! [sweatdrop]

I guess going to poyan range for firing is the most 'scary' thing. That place was so ulu and dark back then.

The driver of feeder bus from Boon Lay to Poyang lagi scary.

Can't remember the service number but only 1 bus goes all the way in and then do a 3 point turn to U-turn out (the narrow road is single lane in and out).

Nobody will be on the bus by the time it reaches Poyong and the driver is usually alone. Street lamp also malfunction most of the time.

i was there in the mid-90s...

remembered the places were still quite run down, like not renovated since the 70s types

and yes, i've also seen the famous three-door bunk at Tekong, but din feel creepy about it

Many people said Tekong very 'dirty' but i didnt see any while i was there.

The driver of feeder bus from Boon Lay to Poyang lagi scary.

Can't remember the service number but only 1 bus goes all the way in and then do a 3 point turn to U-turn out (the narrow road is single lane in and out).

Nobody will be on the bus by the time it reaches Poyong and the driver is usually alone. Street lamp also malfunction most of the time.

The road leading into the poyan range really very scary. Still remember the very first time sitting in a 3 tonner to the range. Along the way was so quiet and dark.

Thou I am from armour but never got the chance to go overseas.....

Could be a blessing in disguise [:)]

An NSF died 3 days before his ROD (yes we still had ROD back in the 80s).

It was a nite training in Thailand and the M113 overturned and fell into a 9m cliff.

He was manning the GPMG then and fell asleep during training.

I remembered his head almost chopped off except for a fold of skin.

Many Thai monks came to pray for him and he had a State Burial back in Singapore.

I was speechless when I saw his distraught parents :mellow:

Turbocharged

Many people said Tekong very 'dirty' but i didnt see any while i was there.

i'd only been to Tekong twice

one was a visit, while the other was Sispec training

i remembered the bunk my friend was staying was those low colonial type, with doors at both ends

his bed was almost at one end where it was locked up and had two yellow talisman pasted!! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Your ns days went through 2 death of fellow camp mates?! :blink: Sounds scary how come he was crying for assistance before his death?! [sweatdrop]

Yes! 2 death and one amputation. There were also other serious instances like A coy support wing nearly burnt down....a good friend paralyzed for a week after he fall from a cliff...a unimog full of Bravo men turned over in Tekong....a truck carrying 3rd platoon rolled over in Taiwan's mountainous region. My unit has this jinxed to it i guess. And the most serious is when our CO's landrover turned turtle and caughtfire during battalion live-firing. Really suay!

But there were also funny incidence during those time....very funny!

Edited by Eviilusion
  • Praise 1

dunno about you guys, but my favourite exercise was shooting M16 in the range

plus the nasi lemak or fried bee hoon from the ninja van

actually the food tasted pretty ordinary, but during that time, i enjoyed it a lot (comfort food maybe)

now i eat nasi lemak no such feeling anymore... Lol :D :D

I also like the food from the van when go Safti range.

The road leading into the poyan range really very scary. Still remember the very first time sitting in a 3 tonner to the range. Along the way was so quiet and dark.

If i am not wrong..u have to pass the cemetary if u wanna go Poyan! very scary siak especially if u pass that area on foot during a mission! [sweatdrop]

Pasir Laba Camp and Tekong should not have any ghosts since the whole area have been rebuilt.

Depends on when you was enlisted.

My BMT in Tekong was in Camp 1. The old British camp.

Turbocharged

It was a nite training in Thailand and the M113 overturned and fell into a 9m cliff.

Many Thai monks came to pray for him and he had a State Burial back in Singapore.

my years in NSF was the turn point when they starting changing ROD to ORD. :D

And yes, we gain some and we lose some. thou we ever had the change to go overseas for training, our unit also never turn operational. so no Atec, standby or NTM. [laugh]

You saw the corpse?! :wacko:

Turbocharged

If i am not wrong..u have to pass the cemetary if u wanna go Poyan! very scary siak especially if u pass that area on foot during a mission! [sweatdrop]

poyan was the last non electric target range that I fired before. those mosquito are commando trained. can bite thru the uniform. :blink:

If you have field mission in lim chu kang area, usually will ended in poyan area! But if you are on mission with a group of people, still not so scary even on foot at poyan area.

poyan was the last non electric target range that I fired before. those mosquito are commando trained. can bite thru the uniform. :blink:

Mosquito at training area, whether poyan, lim chu kang, safti live firing or ulu sembawang all commando trained and can bite through the uniform. [bigcry]