2014 Honda Odyssey

SeriousGuy

Got my COE today, car will come in end May 17.

What is the necessary mods/accessories to get for Honda Odyssey? Thinking how I need to solve the lack of compartment issue.

↡ Advertisement

Could I ask odyssey wonders if you are able to stand 2 24 inch luggage upright in the boot while having enough incline for the rear row passengers to be comfortable?

just tried out last weekend with one 26 inch luggage

it took up less than half the width of the boot

therefore can easily put two 26 inches standing up side by side easily 

the rear seat just need to move up by one notch only. Actually it might have been do-able without adjusting rear incline i think

just tried out last weekend with one 26 inch luggage

it took up less than half the width of the boot

therefore can easily put two 26 inches standing up side by side easily

the rear seat just need to move up by one notch only. Actually it might have been do-able without adjusting rear incline i think

Great. Thank you so much for checking. This really helps my decision whether to buy the odyssey or the new Estima
  • Praise 1

Received the car last Thursday, have clocked around 400km so far. 

Initial thoughts: comfortable cabin, a bit smaller than the estima i think? drive wise, I think it handles pretty well. can't comment on the power because SE says cannot rev about 3000rpm for the first 1000KM. the cabin is not that well insulated thou but still not too bad. played with park assist a couple of times! one thing I don't like is the boot, it sinks in as here is no boot deck, space is ok it's just the sinking in. shall update more as time goes by!

• Praise 1

I'm currently looking at the Honda Odyssey too for a family mover, and upon doing some research online found the Odyssey Hybrid rather interesting. According to the Honda website, it has 2 electric motors which alone produce 184ps and 315NM of torque, and that's excluding the output of the 2L engine. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any real world reviews on this vehicle. Has anyone driven one before? From the specs alone it looks like it will be pretty quick off the line.. and the low fuel consumption will be a definite plus. 

(edited)

I'm currently looking at the Honda Odyssey too for a family mover, and upon doing some research online found the Odyssey Hybrid rather interesting. According to the Honda website, it has 2 electric motors which alone produce 184ps and 315NM of torque, and that's excluding the output of the 2L engine. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any real world reviews on this vehicle. Has anyone driven one before? From the specs alone it looks like it will be pretty quick off the line.. and the low fuel consumption will be a definite plus. 

you might find this comparison between hybrid and gasoline interesting: 

https://en.responsejp.com/cars-newmodels/2016/02/23/hondaodysseyhybridreview%3A%22itspriceandcost-effectivenessareregrettable%22bytakahitonakamura.html

Honda Odyssey Hybrid Review: “Its price and cost-effectiveness are regrettable” by Takahito Nakamura

Honda introduced a hybrid version of the Odyssey. I then immediately did a comparative test drive with both the Odyssey’s gasoline version and hybrid version.

It basically uses the i-MMD system with a 2L Atkinson cycle 4-cylinder engine and two motors, which has been adopted in the Accord, but the Odyssey hybrid has newly-downsized motors, some major improvements, and it has been designed as a minivan with bigger weight.

Now, as for its hybrid system. It is basically a parallel hybrid, but almost all of its parts work through a series hybrid. In other words, its engine functions as an electric generator in many cases.

The engine can be used up when cruising on the highway, and it runs with either EV or hybrid mode from departure to acceleration. Therefore, when, for example, you step hard on the accelerator, the engine would absolutely roar, but it would generate electric power as a generator through this process. I basically started driving it in EV mode. Depending on the remaining energy in the battery, the engine starts at a different timing and the engine could relatively start and generate electric power.

The correlation of its increasing engine sound and acceleration is that even though its engine creates a very loud noise just like a bad CVT, its acceleration gently follows after that, so I was somehow uncomfortable about it.

On the other hand, when I drove it silently, it had a balanced level of quietness. Yet even though it is quieter than the gasoline version, I can’t say that it was quiet when I just drove it in a normal way. But when it comes to a more powerful performance, I would personally go for the 2.4L gasoline version Odyssey. Even though it is said to have a motor assist, it doesn’t have a big difference with the 2.4L gasoline version from its partial to full acceleration. Besides, its increasing sound and adherence when I stepped on the accelerator felt even better with the gasoline version.

How about its fuel consumption? I couldn’t uniformly compare both models, but I was able to test it in full throttle acceleration on the highway, and I was also able to test its departure and acceleration on public roads. Therefore, I couldn’t compare it with numerical value, and I also passed different routes so I had to just do a rough estimation, but it consumed 12km/L with the gasoline version for the first half of the test driving. Then, the hybrid version consumed around 15km/L.

Certainly, the hybrid version has a more excellent fuel consumption. However, although this is also a rough comparison, it is said that the price difference of the gasoline version and the hybrid version is at around 500,000 yen. In taking the fuel consumption difference with 500,000 yen, you need to drive it for a very long distance. Therefore, the price of the hybrid version has been decided according to how high its level of quietness is when driving around city streets.

What I’m surprisingly happy about is that it has a really good ride quality. Basically, if I’m going to rate its riding quality according to the seating location, its third row seat has the most unpleasant ride quality. In a car with a long wheelbase, moreover in a model that has a huge cabin space, microvibrations easily enter inside the second row, which is inevitably the center of the wheelbase. The Odyssey is definitely not an exception, but I thought this car really controlled it very well. As long as there are no extreme obstacles, it would still be comfortable to sit on the third row seats.

The hybrid version that I test drove can be equipped with various parts as options, including the Honda Sensing, and it costs over 4.5 million yen. In other words, its price starts at approximately 5 million yen. In terms of size, it is larger than that of its rival car, the Toyota Estima, but it’s not likely comparable. But it can be a rival to the Alphard and the Vellfire in terms of its huge size. Of course, for non-hybrid standard models, it is still below middle grade. Because of that, the price of the Odyssey hybrid somehow has a regrettable point. Same thing also goes when you compare its cost-effectiveness to the gasoline version.

Edited by TangoElite
  • Praise 3

@TangoElite KM should hire you as the Odyssey spokesperson. Haha!

hahaha, cannot lah, not qualified

me just sharing knowledge with bros here nia.... 

somemore KM seems like dont have stock for odyssey now, i will direct all their customers to PI  [lipsrsealed]  [lipsrsealed]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 3

After viewing the Odyssey at KM and PI as well as after some consideration, I have finally taken the plunge and booked a 2.0 Hybrid Absolute. What swung me over were the following: 

1) Estimated date of delivery (a major consideration as baby is coming) - August for KM (as advised by their sales rep) vs Ready stock for PI

2) Higher OMV - 40K for the Hybrid Absolute

3) The promise of Honda's newer i-MMD sport hybrid technology

Hope to secure my COE soon! Can't wait... will update once I get my car!

After viewing the Odyssey at KM and PI as well as after some consideration, I have finally taken the plunge and booked a 2.0 Hybrid Absolute. What swung me over were the following: 

1) Estimated date of delivery (a major consideration as baby is coming) - August for KM (as advised by their sales rep) vs Ready stock for PI

congrats! what is the parf?

Congrats! Double joy!

↡ Advertisement