Land Transport Masterplan: Main highlights of refreshed plan

Darthrevan

29507355e.jpg

Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew on Monday launched a refreshed transport masterplan, five years after it released the last one in 2008.

Here are the highlights of the plan:
>>Trains:
- Opening of the Downtown Line stage 1 with six stations on Dec 22; the Downtown Line Stage 2 in 2016 and the final stage in 2017
- Opening of the North-South Line 1km-extension to the Marina South Pier next year
- Opening of Tuas West Extension with four stations - Tuas Link, Tuas West Road, Tuas Crescent and Gul Circle in 2016
- Completion of re-signalling of the North-South and East-West lines by 2016 and 2018 respectively to decrease train headways
- Opening of sections of the Thomson Line, Eastern Region Line, Jurong Region line, Circle Line Stage 6, Downtown Line extension, Cross Island Line and North East Line extension from 2019 onwards
- Between 13 and 28 trains will be added on all lines from next year
>>Buses:
- Introduction of a Quality Incentive Framework to improve regularity of bus waiting time by next year
- Completion of a bulk of the $1.1 billion Bus Service Enhancement Programme also by next year
- Implementation of a common bus fleet management system for public buses by 2015
>>Cars:
- Opening of the Marina Coastal Expressway this year
- Review of the carbon emissions-based vehicle scheme for cars by 2014
- Thirty closed-circuit televisions to be installed to deter illegal parking also by next year
- Completion of North-South Expressway in 2020
>>Bicycles
- Providing more bicycle racks to secure 3,000 bicycles at 32 MRT stations
- Conduct a pilot bicycle sharing scheme in Jurong Lake District
- Add 90km of off-road cycling paths to Housing Board towns
>>Pedestrians
- Extend Green Man Plus scheme to 500 crossings
- Completion of the walk2ride programme, which expands the coverage of sheltered linkways, by 2018
- Installation of lifts at 40 pedestrian overhead bridges
- Installation of 20km of noise barriers by 2020
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Turbocharged

I like the idea of more cycling paths - just hope that it's done in such a way that it's good for commuting, and not set up for Sunday and leisure rides and family picnics...

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

With ERP, motorists are made to bear the cost of their decision to use congested roads, particularly roads in

the city centre and major expressways. ERP encourages motorists to consider avoiding congested areas by using

alternative routes, adjusting their time of travel or using public transport instead. Since 1998, ERP has helped

manage congestion within the city area. The traffic volume into the city area grew at a slower pace than

the overall growth in car population, as seen in the figure below.

i read this part of the "plan".. i feel damn .xxx

Edited by ShepherdPie

all i know is pay erp and still stuck in jam.

Think that is part of this 'glorious' master plan. We're so fortunate aren't we?.......

Hypersonic

all i know is pay erp and still stuck in jam.

ERP is ineffective. Those who need to get to their destination through the ERP still have to drive through, no matter the price. At most probably a few % will divert to other route. Otherwise, it is just a way to tax those people who go through.

Turbocharged

ERP is ineffective. Those who need to get to their destination through the ERP still have to drive through, no matter the price. At most probably a few % will divert to other route. Otherwise, it is just a way to tax those people who go through.

That's the whole purpose isn't it? Cut down unnecessary trips into restricted area..

Eg, instead of going into CBD to pick someone up, that someone can take train to an MRT station just outside CBD and meet you there.

Hypersonic

That's the whole purpose isn't it? Cut down unnecessary trips into restricted area..

Eg, instead of going into CBD to pick someone up, that someone can take train to an MRT station just outside CBD and meet you there.

Normally it's not the occasional trips but the daily ones where you have to drive through the ERP. Mainly the expressways more than the CBD areas because have to drive through to get to work or back home.

Turbocharged

Normally it's not the occasional trips but the daily ones where you have to drive through the ERP. Mainly the expressways more than the CBD areas because have to drive through to get to work or back home.

Just take ERP as a form of toll lor.. like in other big cities, to use toll, you have to pay.. just that in our case, the collection is alot more effective.. [laugh]

i dont want to over-criticise these plans cos at least they are trying.

i think immediate issue is increase capacity of public transport.

i will give up driving then as it's getting stressful unless on business....

Complain, & tanna, tehy increase price of ERP again.

Not to sound bad, but the reason there are still so many cars, is because people still willing to pay for it.There is a line where most people will raise the white flag, but its not even close yet.

Hypersonic

Just take ERP as a form of toll lor.. like in other big cities, to use toll, you have to pay.. just that in our case, the collection is alot more effective.. [laugh]

When it comes to collecting money, of course is damn effective [laugh]

Well, can't do much. Just have to live with it.

"Add 90km of off-road cycling paths to Housing Board towns" sounds like opening up some state land or nature reserves to be accessible for cyclists.

I am not sure whether we need more education and civic awareness projects (i.e. more time) before we open it up.

The littering habit currently is atrocious compared to 15-20 years ago.

Check out the pedestrain walkways on you way to any heartland bus-stop, I bet u can find more than 50 cigarette butts, 20 sweet wrappers wihin the 20m radius,

Some can argue it is a cleaned city and not a clean city, blah blah blah.

Whether it was the "keep Singapore clean" campaign or clean and green week, it has educated more than 2 generations.

http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_1160_2008-12-05.html

Furthermore, It is much more difficult to clean the off roads than urban areas.

If in doubt, check out Berlayer Creek Mangrove trail in Labrador nature reserve.

There are enough plastic bottles left behind by the so called nature lovers to fill up a trash bag or two.

The policy makers need to iron out the solutions or mitigate the issue of littering on the trails before implementing the off road cycling paths.

↡ Advertisement