Teacher's Pay rise 9%: 2015

Mustank

its strange, when singapore pays a profession well, singaporeans say pay too much. when singapore doesn't a profession well enough, singaporeans say pay so little, how to survive, how to get quality people into the job.

for me, i think teachers deserve their pay because they really do sacrifice alot of their personal time and this is through personal experience.

You don't know? Sad to say, this is the singapore national feeling: SCHADENFREUDE.

Direct translation is "Harm-Joy". That is, "It is the feeling of joy or pleasure when one sees another fail or suffer misfortune."

And so we always have people complaining... what? pay too high!

The current generation of teachers are the biggest hypocrites.

Why? Let me tell you, my cousin is one of them, she keeps complain of stress and heavy workload.

Everytime without fail kpkb infront of us and complain endlessly.

But the thing is she still got the time to give private tuition, how irony is that.

You can't judge like that. There are people complaining stress and heavy workload, but can still surf the internet to post complain! Go pubbing, clubbing, etc. Same case lah...

Edited by Sosaria
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I thought only HDB and LTA sleeping on the job.

Now MOE also sleeping on the job too?

Not many qualify one willing to sign up what u want to do???

Not many qualify one willing to sign up what u want to do???

that is why we are paying so much for them to foresee problem and fix the problem before it get worse.

If i have the solution, maybe i can be minster of education instead???

Edited by Tianake

that is why we are paying so much for them to foresee problem and fix the problem before it get worse.

If i have the solution, maybe i can be minster of education instead???

Yeah, now u know why u are not minister while they are. Because they are trying to do something even if it might not move much. While u only know how to complain Edited by Joseph22
  • Praise 1

its strange, when singapore pays a profession well, singaporeans say pay too much. when singapore doesn't a profession well enough, singaporeans say pay so little, how to survive, how to get quality people into the job.

for me, i think teachers deserve their pay because they really do sacrifice alot of their personal time and this is through personal experience.

Everyone expects their own profession to be better paid while others to be paid less.

The current generation of teachers are the biggest hypocrites.

Why? Let me tell you, my cousin is one of them, she keeps complain of stress and heavy workload.

Everytime without fail kpkb infront of us and complain endlessly.

But the thing is she still got the time to give private tuition, how irony is that.

The same scenario where people say they are too tired to cook, exercise, learn something, then you find them always on facebook, & post pictures in shopping centres etc.

The very simple explanation is private tuition pays very well, since they are pay by session or hours, so he can accept the extra work (aka extra money), but the extra work from school yield NO extra income, so its stressful & heavy workload for him.

This is a problem with the society, not restricted to teacher or any profession.

Everyone expects their own profession to be better paid while others to be paid less.

That's true.

signing up to be teacher now!!!! [grin][grin][grin]

http://www.edvantage.com.sg/content/spore-teachers-highest-paid-world

S'pore teachers highest paid in world

2064725---04_10_2005_0.jpg?itok=DSN4Wx-z

File photo

668 check-big.png

6 check-big.png

17 check-big.png

Print

By Jacquelyn Cheok

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013

SINGAPORE - Singaporean teachers are the highest paid among 21 countries according to a study, earning an average annual salary of US$45,755, ahead of the United States' US$44,917 and South Korea's US$43,874.

But respondents in Singapore felt that local teachers were overpaid by about $5,000 annually - almost 14 per cent higher than what they perceived to be fair.

This was in contrast to most of the other countries surveyed for the Varkey GEMS Foundation 2013 Global Teacher Status Index, in which they assessed actual wages to be below perceived fair wages.

In fact, respondents from 95 per cent of the surveyed countries thought teachers were earning less than what they ought to.

In the Teacher Status Index - which measures cultural, political and socio- economic factors, such as general attitudes towards the education system and perception of teachers in each country - Singapore was ranked seventh, surpassing the US (No 9), the United Kingdom (No 10) and Finland (No 13).

China topped the rankings, followed by Greece, Turkey and then South Korea.

Singapore came in third with regard to confidence and trust in the national education system.

Finland took top position, followed by Switzerland.

Next » S'pore teachers highest paid in world

Any girl school looking for male PE teacher?

I thought only HDB and LTA sleeping on the job.

Now MOE also sleeping on the job too?

Not sure if MOE people sleep on the job everyday or not, but some male and female teachers sometimes sleep with their students. Some say this is their private life.

Back to main topic :- when kids enter school, they really look up to their teachers n listen to their advice. It's important that MOE recruit and reward dedicated teachers well, but of course not making them millionaires, so that they can focus on their job and feel appreciated. Our future is in the hands of the kids and we do good if we treat good teachers well.

I think they have problem or issue with recruiting enough numbers to fill up the ranks. It's an unpopular job and hard to attract the best and brightest.

As usual, the proposed solution is always to PAY and pay more! [laugh] Just like baby bonus ($) to solve the aging population problem.

Kaisu, over-demanding parents are not helping to make teaching an attractive profession.

Kaisu, over-demanding parents are not helping to make teaching an attractive profession.

i encountered students parents want to sue school when fault is on student

tell me, how this student learn?

• Praise 1

I know of many teachers who are unhapi w their jobs n pay.

I also know many teachers ( husband n wife both holding teaching jobs of head of dept n also those who ar principals n vice principals) staying in landed properties, with anor one or two investment properties. N mind u, some of them ar staying in bungalows, not terrace houses. They are not from rich families either. So their properties will b bought based on their income.

I m amazed at t Finnish teachers' salary. N those interviewed in ST recently are very proud of their job. Only t best graduates it seems, becomes teachers.

Edited by Jazzmeup

I also know many teachers ( husband n wife both holding teaching jobs of head of dept n also those who ar principals n vice principals) staying in landed properties, with anor one or two investment properties. N mind u, some of them ar staying in bungalows, not terrace houses. They are not from rich families either. So their properties will b bought based on their income.

I m amazed at t Finnish teachers' salary. N those interviewed in ST recently are very proud of their job. Only t best graduates it seems, becomes teachers.

what so surprising, in 2005/6 there are landed property going at 700K.

they cannot have other investment?

• Praise 1

signing up to be teacher now!!!! [grin][grin][grin]

http://www.edvantage.com.sg/content/spore-teachers-highest-paid-world

S'pore teachers highest paid in world

2064725---04_10_2005_0.jpg?itok=DSN4Wx-z

File photo

668 check-big.png

6 check-big.png

17 check-big.png

Print

By Jacquelyn Cheok

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013

SINGAPORE - Singaporean teachers are the highest paid among 21 countries according to a study, earning an average annual salary of US$45,755, ahead of the United States' US$44,917 and South Korea's US$43,874.

But respondents in Singapore felt that local teachers were overpaid by about $5,000 annually - almost 14 per cent higher than what they perceived to be fair.

This was in contrast to most of the other countries surveyed for the Varkey GEMS Foundation 2013 Global Teacher Status Index, in which they assessed actual wages to be below perceived fair wages.

In fact, respondents from 95 per cent of the surveyed countries thought teachers were earning less than what they ought to.

In the Teacher Status Index - which measures cultural, political and socio- economic factors, such as general attitudes towards the education system and perception of teachers in each country - Singapore was ranked seventh, surpassing the US (No 9), the United Kingdom (No 10) and Finland (No 13).

China topped the rankings, followed by Greece, Turkey and then South Korea.

Singapore came in third with regard to confidence and trust in the national education system.

Finland took top position, followed by Switzerland.

Next » S'pore teachers highest paid in world

Not easy to be a teacher

Not easy to be a teacher

So do many other profession. So do teachers from other nations, some much harder.

You know how hard it is to teach students that comes as fugitive from war torn nations. Without passion, you can absolutely not do it.

I think my job is not easy also.

My point being, just saying a job is not easy so we have to pay higher (isn't that same argument for the high minister pay?), is not by itself a good argument. If there is a better argument, say our teacher are the best (with something to back it up), then I guess its ok.

from my observations.

the ones that complains the most are mostly those that join teaching as a fresh grad. those usually always complain nonstop about how farked up teaching is.

the mid career teachers on the other hands who already had experience outside in the corporate world usually enjoy teaching.

you draw your own conclusion....

Many people are unhappy about their job & pay, not just teacher. This is typical.

I heard Finland have one of the best education system in the world. I think the sad thing about Singapore, is everything is about money, & you perform good so you get promotion & .....more money.

Teacher is just a profession that pay rather well it seems, so is doctor, so is politicians etc. I have many friends that work for properties, & and I have yet to know someone that is passionate about selling flats (can you be), they do so as it pays rather well as well.

Even MM Lee said that, passion is good to have, but not necessary. As long as you pay high, you get talent, or something like that, when question on Minister's pay.

This is the situation of our society, as long as we can keep paying people high salaries, everything is cool.

what so surprising, in 2005/6 there are landed property going at 700K.

they cannot have other investment?

Yep. U ar right. At tt time prices were low. However, it takes guts to enter t market. Teachers generally hv lower risk profile. So for those who enter t market at tt time, their CPF must b pretty substantial. Wh means tt they hv to b senior.

Like one of our bros here mention. T teachers who ar complaining ar usually probly not t senior ones. T seniors ar comfy w their package already.

Still, t packages for t VP n principals are really v comfortable. Guess just rewards for them. I hv yet to know anyone of tt position resigning, unless forced to due to disciplinary actions.

Yep. U ar right. At tt time prices were low. However, it takes guts to enter t market. Teachers generally hv lower risk profile. So for those who enter t market at tt time, their CPF must b pretty substantial. Wh means tt they hv to b senior.

Like one of our bros here mention. T teachers who ar complaining ar usually probly not t senior ones. T seniors ar comfy w their package already.

Still, t packages for t VP n principals are really v comfortable. Guess just rewards for them. I hv yet to know anyone of tt position resigning, unless forced to due to disciplinary actions.

Bro, your keyboard was not registering a lot of input, time to change a new one!

↡ Advertisement