Something's Wrong with TV & Internet

Dream

Terrible leh. I wonder why Singtel doesn't have a backup system to kick in in the event of such incidents. Quite worrying. If people sabotage our data centers, means Singapore GG? no need to even fire anything at all. Just go to the right places and set fire, all will be gone. No need to call for help.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Dislike 3

Starhub depends on Singtel. M1 depends on Singtel. When Singtel goes down, Singapore blackout. [shakehead] Like that how? Need to use back my NS radio set?

"Quote"

More than 100 engineers worked through the night and have restored 33 of the damaged cables," said a SingTel spokesman.

100 technicans more like it.

Well, maybe someone in Singtel will be fired after this.

Whoever gets fired will not be those at the top.

I used to work with SH, I know they have something call disaster recovery.

Maybe ST is lazy and did not think of such emergency.

I used to work with SH, I know they have something call disaster recovery.

Maybe ST is lazy and did not think of such emergency.

Maybe the most important part of the network is all stored in that building? If that's the case, then no amount of recovery can help.

Then again, they shouldn't put all eggs into one basket. They should have different centres so if one went down, they can reroute all traffic to others to share the load. This apparently is sorely lacking judging from what happened yesterday [shakehead]

Maybe the most important part of the network is all stored in that building? If that's the case, then no amount of recovery can help.

Then again, they shouldn't put all eggs into one basket. They should have different centres so if one went down, they can reroute all traffic to others to share the load. This apparently is sorely lacking judging from what happened yesterday [shakehead]

i dun think that is their only basket, if not we won't be surfing happily here :D

maybe Singapore Pool shouldn't rely on one service provider, but then if not how to consolidate.... i no IT expert :huh:

• Praise 1

i dun think that is their only basket, if not we won't be surfing happily here :D

maybe Singapore Pool shouldn't rely on one service provider, but then if not how to consolidate.... i no IT expert :huh:

The whole basket was not burnt mah. Only part of it so not everyone affected. If the whole building was burnt down... ... :huh: We would be disconnected from the whole world :wacko:

It's a disaster recovery site. Totally different area with duplicated equipment.

Any fire or man-made disaster, you switchover and service continues.

However, the cost is high.

It's a disaster recovery site. Totally different area with duplicated equipment.

Any fire or man-made disaster, you switchover and service continues.

However, the cost is high.

Telecommunication is a critical area and everyone depends on it so shouldn't that be duplicated to avoid such an incident? I'm not really savvy with these things but I thought it should be very important for everyone and even for the whole country to have some sort of backup plan.

SingTel fire: 46,000 OpenNet fibre connections damaged; customers to be compensated
As restorations works get underway, the fallout from Wednesday's fire at SingTel's Bukit Panjang building continues to grow bigger.
DigitalOne, AsiaOne | 10-10-13 0 comment
SINGAPORE - SingTel said on Thursday that affected customers from Wednesday's fire at its Bukit Panjang building will be compensated, details of which will be revealed at a later date.
As restorations works get underway, the fallout from Wednesday's fire at SingTel's Bukit Panjang building continues to grow bigger.
OpenNet reported that over 46,000 individual fibre connections were disrupted, of which only 27 per cent has been restored at 12:30pm.
Meanwhile, restoration works for Telco operators StarHub and M1's fibre broadband services were also ongoing.
StarHub earlier explained that "[they] lease some SingTel optical fibre capacity that runs through this exchange." As at 12:30pm, only 19 per cent of Starhub's fibre services has been restored, while 90 per cent of its cable TV, cable broadband and digital voice services have been restored.
IDA said in a statement on their Facebook page that their officers visited SingTel's Bukit Panjang site on Wednesday night and are monitoring the progress of restoration works closely.
While the telecommunications damage has been largely confined to the northern parts of Singapore (Bukit Batok , Bukit Panjang, Bukit Timah, Choa Chu Kang, Kranji, Marsiling, Teck Whye, and Woodlands), banking services and other data transactions were affected around Singapore.
18 of DBS and POSB's banking branches and ATMs across the island were plugged out from the internet network. Affected branches included Ngee Ann City, Raffles Place and its Asia Treasures branch at Changi Airport.
SingTel said that all business services are expected to be fully restored by 7pm today (Thursday) while its remaining services will be fully restored by 7am on Friday.
This delay was due to damages being "more extensive than originally accessed", SingTel said.
A SingTel spokesman originally said that "services disrupted by Wednesday afternoon's fire at a SingTel building are being progressively restored and should be up and running by Thursday 6am."
Over 100 engineers were working through Wednesday night.
In a statement released on Thursday, OpenNet explained that the fire damaged 81 of its fibre cables. Each cable has numerous fibre strands, and each fibre strand supports two fibre connections.
In all, 23,000 fibre strands were affected.
The large number of individual fibre strands and individual end-to-end fibre connection damaged has complicated restoration efforts, OpenNet said.
All fibre connections are expected to be restored within the next 24-36 hours.
Restoration update:
- Mio Voice: 30,000 affected, 66 per cent restored
- Broadband: 60,000 affected 76 per cent restored
- mio TV: 46,000 affected, 67 per cent restored
- Direct Exchange Lines: 7,900 affected, 95 per cent restored
- Mobile Base Stations (4G): 68 affected, 100 per cent restored
- Mobile Base Stations (3G): 81 affected, 89 per cent restored

Telecommunication is a critical area and everyone depends on it so shouldn't that be duplicated to avoid such an incident? I'm not really savvy with these things but I thought it should be very important for everyone and even for the whole country to have some sort of backup plan.

You pay for a service such as internet.

You don't pay for how they run their service.

The only one that can hit them is the "authority" when availability of service drops below X %, for example.

It is not about 100 engineers called up to restore the network.......

It is about why so many critical services are knocked out by just one fire in a single facility.

WL, BP, CCK, Upp BT and Mars were affected. Could that be 20% of SG?

Mobile service still up wat...
  • Praise 1