Need some advice...

Swingarm

Hi Forumers,

My wife and I have applied for a BTO flat somewhere in 2010, during that time, the supply was low and the demand was huge. So they came out a scheme called MCPS (married child parents scheme). Before this scheme, I have tried about 10x to get a successful Q no. I decided to bring my parents along as I'm the sole contributor to their expenses. They are staying in a rental flat. During the application I have voiced out that the rental flat will be returned to hdb when the BTO flat is ready to move in and they agree.

3yrs pass and finally I'm going to get my own flat. When I told them that I'm about to collect the key, my step-father said that he is too attached to the current house and wishes to stay there. In respect to his decision, I called hdb and ask if I can remove my parents from the occupier name but was told that if i did not include their name in the first place, I would not get a Q number. So I decided to meet the MP and at the same time try my very best to persuade my step-father to move in with us. The appeal through MP did not go through and my step-father is still firm in his decision of not moving. Please note that me and my parents are in good terms and I have been paying for their expenses and accomodation.

I'm now staying with my in-laws 4-room flat for 6yrs and we are cramp in 1 room as I have a child and expecting another end of this year. So the flat really meant alot to us. I have ask HDB to reconsider my appeal and pray for the best.

MP has proposed that we applied for a new BTO, but that means we have to wait for 2-3yrs more.

Open market is not a good choice as we do not have the luxury of spending large amount of cash.

What are my options? I'm thinking of writing to khaw boon wan or even the press but since its my parents that caused this problem, I holding back.

↡ Advertisement

Hi bro,

You may wish to e-mail Minister Khaw on this. He checks his e-mails personally and I believe you should be able to get someone to review your case again given your current circumstances (expanding family nucleus).

All the best!

Hi Forumers,

My wife and I have applied for a BTO flat somewhere in 2010, during that time, the supply was low and the demand was huge. So they came out a scheme called MCPS (married child parents scheme). Before this scheme, I have tried about 10x to get a successful Q no. I decided to bring my parents along as I'm the sole contributor to their expenses. They are staying in a rental flat. During the application I have voiced out that the rental flat will be returned to hdb when the BTO flat is ready to move in and they agree.

3yrs pass and finally I'm going to get my own flat. When I told them that I'm about to collect the key, my step-father said that he is too attached to the current house and wishes to stay there. In respect to his decision, I called hdb and ask if I can remove my parents from the occupier name but was told that if i did not include their name in the first place, I would not get a Q number. So I decided to meet the MP and at the same time try my very best to persuade my step-father to move in with us. The appeal through MP did not go through and my step-father is still firm in his decision of not moving. Please note that me and my parents are in good terms and I have been paying for their expenses and accomodation.

I'm now staying with my in-laws 4-room flat for 6yrs and we are cramp in 1 room as I have a child and expecting another end of this year. So the flat really meant alot to us. I have ask HDB to reconsider my appeal and pray for the best.

MP has proposed that we applied for a new BTO, but that means we have to wait for 2-3yrs more.
Open market is not a good choice as we do not have the luxury of spending large amount of cash.

What are my options? I'm thinking of writing to khaw boon wan or even the press but since its my parents that caused this problem, I holding back.

Hi Forumers,

wrtie to press, hard lah

sure kena suan one

they will say is self pwn

if apply for new bto, are there any penalties to give up your current flat?

hdb seems very desperate to get hdb owners to sell their flat in order to reduce resale price

doubt they will agree to let your step father hold on to the rental flat

somemore hdb is very short on rental flat now

i teach you one trick: you can tell your dad:

i try already, i spoke to hdb already, i spoke to minister liao

but they say that you cannot keep you rental flat [sly]

Supercharged

The best option now is probably to get a resale flat from the open market. Now is also a good time cos the COV has fallen. You could apply for a housing loan if you don't have enough cash.

Another way is to apply a BTO flat on your own (with your wife), like what the MP had suggested. Ask the MP to write to HDB to give you a priority queue in BTO application because you have urgent needs (wife expecting, etc).

In the meantime, to have more space, get a rental flat to stay temporary while waiting for the BTO flat to complete.

wrtie to press, hard lah

sure kena suan one

they will say is self pwn

if apply for new bto, are there any penalties to give up your current flat?

hdb seems very desperate to get hdb owners to sell their flat in order to reduce resale price

doubt they will agree to let your step father hold on to the rental flat

somemore hdb is very short on rental flat now

i teach you one trick: you can tell your dad:

i try already, i spoke to hdb already, i spoke to minister liao

but they say that you cannot keep you rental flat [sly]

Yes, there are penalties, my deposit of 5% and stamp fee will be forfeited.

I have tried that trick. But looking at his sad face, I'm dis-heartened..

Does your step-father knows that you have more to loss if he insist?

i think hdb got one scheme is encourage rental flat occupiers to buy a flat on their own

if they applied, i think very hard for hdb to allow them to continue the rental falt

Hi bro,

You may wish to e-mail Minister Khaw on this. He checks his e-mails personally and I believe you should be able to get someone to review your case again given your current circumstances (expanding family nucleus).

All the best!

That is my 2nd last option. And thanks

Yes, there are penalties, my deposit of 5% and stamp fee will be forfeited.

I have tried that trick. But looking at his sad face, I'm dis-heartened..

use grandson to entice him lor [idea]

Hi Forumers,

You're a filial son with great respects from me, Mr.Khaw is a budhist and I believe your hard truth is forgiving with leader who are kind to their parent.

The best option now is probably to get a resale flat from the open market. Now is also a good time cos the COV has fallen. You could apply for a housing loan if you don't have enough cash.

Another way is to apply a BTO flat on your own (with your wife), like what the MP had suggested. Ask the MP to write to HDB to give you a priority queue in BTO application because you have urgent needs (wife expecting, etc).

In the meantime, to have more space, get a rental flat to stay temporary while waiting for the BTO flat to complete.

During my application without my parents name I have tried to ask the MP for priority but was told that they are not able to chg the system.

Does your step-father knows that you have more to loss if he insist?

I told him about the forfeit. I told him that if he were to move in with us, I can save on the household expenses as I need to only pay 1 house. Oh another factor that i forget to include with regards to his firm decision is his children, which is my step-siblings, do not allow him to move with me.

You're a filial son with great respects from me, Mr.Khaw is a budhist and I believe your hard truth is forgiving with leader who are kind to their parent.

Thanks for the encouragement. This issue have made my wife goes into depression among other reasons.

I told him about the forfeit. I told him that if he were to move in with us, I can save on the household expenses as I need to only pay 1 house. Oh another factor that i forget to include with regards to his firm decision is his children, which is my step-siblings, do not allow him to move with me.

i guess the issue lies with your step-siblings that you need to convince your step-father, let him know the financial side of the problem other than the more serious one of not getting the flat.

i believe staying together is good for him at least he won't be bored and the family can look after each other.

Edited by Jman888
  • Praise 1

Nice to know that your step-father do not want to be a burden to you and that's why he wanted to stay at the rental flat.

Thats part of the reasons too. But with that, I need to pay for 2 households rather than 1.

i guess the issue lies with your step-siblings that you need to convince your step-father, let him know the financial side of the problem other than the more serious one of not getting the flat.

i believe staying together is good for him at least he won't be bored and the family can look after each other.

Yes, I've tried to convince them. Some of them says its a good idea, while others says its good that they have their own space.

this is very true

when my parents stayed by themselves, can see they very sad

but when i told them to come stay with me

they very happy [grouphug]

• Praise 1

Thanks for the encouragement. This issue have made my wife goes into depression among other reasons.

you need to resolve this asap, you are not only losing extra support but creating more issues.

you wife and kids welfare has to be in 1st priority, i understand how bad a women wanted a HOME for themselves.

As for your step-father, try to convince him or get your step-siblings to come to a solution, either move in with you or move in with the other sibling then consider other alternative.

take your flat first...

Then it is HDB's job to evict your parents from the rental flat...

No easy solution... all the best!

↡ Advertisement