GS Yuasa Car Battery

Ken1898

(edited)

Best battery I've used is Amron. Last time was Yuasa. Worst battery is from Hankook.

I felt cheated. Can anyone accept a brand new car battery that spoilt in 6 months and 8 days. I got this battery Voltex from Hankook that their china sales lady said no complaint so far and it's selling well. Using my $55 voucher that I gotten from signing their membership, I replaced the battery as it is the last validity day of the voucher.

When the battery spoilt in 6 months and 8 days, I called Hankook and the reply from his boss is warranty over, TOO BAD. I swear I'll never go back to Hankook as long as I lives. Btw, my colleague replaced the Hankook battery and it died exactly a year without any symptom.

If anyone were to think that they got a good deal by signing up the membership when replacing Hankook tyres which gives u a $55 battery voucher, you are stepping into a trap.

I believe I'm not the only victim here also. Could others please come forward and tell us your bad experience with Hankook? Let's boycott such despicable supplier!

your best brand is it last longer than what you expected

the worst brand is it lasted shorter than what you expected

sorry for my quotes

In live all the same , we gained we said Good

is nothing wrong to have a battery lasted 6months, I would most(not all) battery life span + and - 1.5 years

A bimmer original battery last him 5 years and he went to replaced exactly the same battery cost $500 he said is cheap if base on 5 years life,but the WS said it come with 2 years warranty .

WS said they cant promise you this new battery will last the same as his previous one

MY calculation now is this $500 last you 5 years is cheap (if lasted) workup to be $100/year

base on 2 years warranty ,workup to be $250/year

Amaron battery has gain some good feedback because of longer lasting in general

But also had seen/heard this Amaron has some battery terminal corrosion(oxidation) issue which most other does not exist

I do not know how you feel when you see a white powder like covered your whole battery terminal and corrode your battery clip and you may have to replace the whole power cable which I not easily available outside

wish I can find a photo to show (let me try)

Edited by Roberttan
↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

I do not know how you feel when you see a white powder like covered your whole battery terminal and corrode your battery clip and you may have to replace the whole power cable which I not easily available outside

wish I can find a photo to show (let me try)

Corrosion happens. It's due to acid, gases, which reacts with the terminal and cables like chemistry.

When the powder is forming, anyone could take boiling water, pour over it and constantly get rid of the salt.

For those that don't bother, the salt can get pretty nasty to the point of damaging the terminal.

Usually happens to Japanese cars with thin plated terminal. Conti cars usually have a more solid block and don't corrode that easily.

When this happens, all that is needed is to replace the terminal and cleaning up the cable ends.

You don't need to replace the whole power cable.

To prevent the white stuff can just coat the terminals with petroeum jelly right?

Don't workshops do this now when they change batteries?

:D

Best battery I've used is Amron. Last time was Yuasa. Worst battery is from Hankook.

I felt cheated. Can anyone accept a brand new car battery that spoilt in 6 months and 8 days. I got this battery Voltex from Hankook that their china sales lady said no complaint so far and it's selling well. Using my $55 voucher that I gotten from signing their membership, I replaced the battery as it is the last validity day of the voucher.
When the battery spoilt in 6 months and 8 days, I called Hankook and the reply from his boss is warranty over, TOO BAD. I swear I'll never go back to Hankook as long as I lives. Btw, my colleague replaced the Hankook battery and it died exactly a year without any symptom.
If anyone were to think that they got a good deal by signing up the membership when replacing Hankook tyres which gives u a $55 battery voucher, you are stepping into a trap.
I believe I'm not the only victim here also. Could others please come forward and tell us your bad experience with Hankook? Let's boycott such despicable supplier!

No brand loyalty. Say Ameron good then use again lah. Say Yuasa then buy again lah.

Just bcos got discount switch to this battery and now 6 days after warranty up, battery spoilt.

Loyalty works both ways.

[laugh]

• Praise 1

Amaron is good, but also got lemon one.

I bought brand new from a reputable shop and saw the worker remove the packaging.

It only lasted one week, totally flat after parked for 15 min only.

Never seen a battery so flat before, cant even crank.

Thought something wrong with my car because battery is only one week old.

Shop owner took it back and tried to charge but totally dead.

• Praise 1

Amaron is good, but also got lemon one.

I bought brand new from a reputable shop and saw the worker remove the packaging.

It only lasted one week, totally flat after parked for 15 min only.

Never seen a battery so flat before, cant even crank.

Thought something wrong with my car because battery is only one week old.

Shop owner took it back and tried to charge but totally dead.

Very old stock? So replace another Amaron battery?

Supersonic

Amaron is a popular brand.

That means stock move quickly. You're unlikely to find old Amaron stock.

However, a lemon does occasionally occur, same as with any brands.

That's where warranty comes in.

dun think its old stock, as that shop business very good

ya one to one exchange, new one so far so good

Amaron is a popular brand.

That means stock move quickly. You're unlikely to find old Amaron stock.

However, a lemon does occasionally occur, same as with any brands.

That's where warranty comes in.

That would depends on the turnover, popularity n price of the shop selling it also rite? How long stock would u considered it as 'old'? Got one workshop tell me nowadays also got Amaron fr China instead of India n showed me few spoilt batteries < 1 yr. I believe u know how to read the alphabets/numbers on the battery to know the production date. Got someone post the reading of 13223 on the Amaron battery, izzit August 11 2013 production?

Supersonic

That would depends on the turnover, popularity n price of the shop selling it also rite? How long stock would u considered it as 'old'? Got one workshop tell me nowadays also got Amaron fr China instead of India n showed me few spoilt batteries < 1 yr. I believe u know how to read the alphabets/numbers on the battery to know the production date. Got someone post the reading of 13223 on the Amaron battery, izzit August 11 2013 production?

There's possibility a shop is not selling a particular model well or the turnover is not good and you get an "old" battery that's sitting on the shelf too long.

I would like to see the battery fr China, as I have not come across one as yet.

If you can take a picture of the label from that workshop who claims as such would be great.

post-7854-0-27879800-1406865631.jpg

Or perhpas that ws does not sell Amaron, but merely wants to dis it.

Unfortunately I do not know how to read production date.

My guess is that every battery is serialized (by batch) and can only be traced at the factory's database.

the shop told him to pour hot water to clear this crystal like powder and apply grease should help

But from some expert you clear now it will come back again , applying grease is only temp measured

best is MUST stop the acid leak(may be in gas) from battery head base.

post-510-0-08522400-1406944998_thumb.png

Edited by Roberttan

There's possibility a shop is not selling a particular model well or the turnover is not good and you get an "old" battery that's sitting on the shelf too long.

I would like to see the battery fr China, as I have not come across one as yet.

If you can take a picture of the label from that workshop who claims as such would be great.

attachicon.gifama-label.jpg

Or perhpas that ws does not sell Amaron, but merely wants to dis it.

Unfortunately I do not know how to read production date.

My guess is that every battery is serialized (by batch) and can only be traced at the factory's database.

Made in India [thumbsup] but ever see Amaron with diff color like dark green / black / grey also diff battery top cover

and some is just label over the battery with no country made printed [bounce1]

Hi GSYuasa. I'm using the Eco-R. Just wandering if it is a maintenance free, how come we can open the cover where normally we open to op up the battery water?So do i still need to top up the water?please assist.thx

Neutral Newbie

Hi GSYuasa. I'm using the Eco-R. Just wandering if it is a maintenance free, how come we can open the cover where normally we open to op up the battery water?So do i still need to top up the water?please assist.thks

The ECO-R series equip with Vent Valve which is a feature available in Japan products due to Japanese OEM request for safer and longer battery life.

The ECO-R series is a MF battery that comes with a lifespan indicator, like any others completely sealed MF battery, it will change colour if its near or end of its lifespan.

However, for all automotive battery are lead acid battery, which means that the battery water will decrease over a period of usage due to emission, which means that the battery water will be getting lesser. For completely sealed you will have to replace the battery once its near the end of service life, as for ECO-R you could choose to top up the battery water to prolong the service life.

Also, it would be safer to have vent valve to prevent explosion caused by low electrolyte level, as you could correct the electrolyte level by topping up water if necessary.

The ECO-R series equip with Vent Valve which is a feature available in Japan products due to Japanese OEM request for safer and longer battery life.

The ECO-R series is a MF battery that comes with a lifespan indicator, like any others completely sealed MF battery, it will change colour if its near or end of its lifespan.

However, for all automotive battery are lead acid battery, which means that the battery water will decrease over a period of usage due to emission, which means that the battery water will be getting lesser. For completely sealed you will have to replace the battery once its near the end of service life, as for ECO-R you could choose to top up the battery water to prolong the service life.

Also, it would be safer to have vent valve to prevent explosion caused by low electrolyte level, as you could correct the electrolyte level by topping up water if necessary.

Thanks for the prompt reply. really appreciate it.

So we can choose to top up the water or not. But if I want to top up the battery water, since I have bought it...can you assist me which level should I top up?I mean is there any indicator or something so I can know and do not pour too much of it. Thanks again

I came across this YouTube video..

Watch if you have some time, but it's a good lesson on how to measure battery if it's working.

It's a good video.

But you need to have all the tools to comprehensively checked the battery:

1. Voltmeter

2. Hydrometer

3. Conductance tester

4. Load tester

I find the load tester may not be accurate enough as many of them use only 50A.

To properly simulate a real load of a starter motor/engine, I would probably use a 100~150A load tester.

It's a good video.

But you need to have all the tools to comprehensively checked the battery:

1. Voltmeter

2. Hydrometer

3. Conductance tester

4. Load tester

I find the load tester may not be accurate enough as many of them use only 50A.

To properly simulate a real load of a starter motor/engine, I would probably use a 100~150A load tester.

In the end, only volt n cca tests speak volume of the batt health.

In the end, only volt n cca tests speak volume of the batt health.

Volt is just state of charge. It doesn't say much about batt health.

CCA speaks volume. However, it does not always speaks the entire truth.

I've come across cases where cca is good, but SG of electrolyte is bad. That comes from using the hydrometer.

Good old fashion hydrometer can really speaks volume.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1