GS Yuasa Car Battery

Ken1898

Thanks for the prompt reply. really appreciate it.

So we can choose to top up the water or not. But if I want to top up the battery water, since I have bought it...can you assist me which level should I top up?I mean is there any indicator or something so I can know and do not pour too much of it. Thanks again

refer to the information i took from the original manual. :D

post-118237-0-25026800-1409975752_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spinelli_ck
↡ Advertisement

Volt is just state of charge. It doesn't say much about batt health.

CCA speaks volume. However, it does not always speaks the entire truth.

I've come across cases where cca is good, but SG of electrolyte is bad. That comes from using the hydrometer.

Good old fashion hydrometer can really speaks volume.

U know of any shop that does complete chk of batt health?

refer to the information i took from the original manual. :D

Walau, u think our 2nd lang is jipun. Can translate Bo?

Walau, u think our 2nd lang is jipun. Can translate Bo?

bro, just refer to the picture. there are a lower and upper level markings. as long as the electrolyte is below the upper level marking it should be fine.

use pure, distilled water, not those commonly found "battery" water which contains minerals.

Afraid not. Usually, they do either one: load test or cca test.

Some MF battery cannot open the cap, you can't do hydrometer test.

bro, just refer to the picture. there are a lower and upper level markings. as long as the electrolyte is below the upper level marking it should be fine.

use pure, distilled water, not those commonly found "battery" water which contains minerals.

Visual check on level marking is only checking electrolyte level.

You do not know how good or bad the electrolyte is.

Example, if the electrolyte is all water and no acid, the level may look normal, but it's useless in a battery.

What happened is that all the sulphate ions has been attached to the lead plate, leaving only the water behind.

This is called sulphation.

Electrolyte is normally 33% sulphuric acid and 67% water.

Hydrometer test will tell you if the electrolyte is good or bad.

Edited by Kb27

Example, if the electrolyte is all water and no acid, the level may look normal, but it's useless in a battery.

What happened is that all the sulphate ions has been attached to the lead plate, leaving only the water behind.

you are right. but i was replying to a query on how much water to top up.

Afraid not. Usually, they do either one: load test or cca test.

Some MF battery cannot open the cap, you can't do hydrometer test.

So wc is better indication, load or cca?

Tks bro.

So wc is better indication, load or cca?

My take is, cca test gives you about 80% certainty (tester must be set correctly); load test about 50%, depending on the load being applied.

I was once in a car that passed a battery load test (found out later) a few weeks before and then the battery failed.

If it had been tested for cca reading at that time, it would have failed.

Meaning, a load test "passed" does not give you much confidence.

Another instance was when I happened to check a battery that failed cca and told the owner so; but he refuse to believe as he thinks his engine one crank started, the battery can't be bad. It failed to crank 2 weeks later.

My take is, cca test gives you about 80% certainty (tester must be set correctly); load test about 50%, depending on the load being applied.

I was once in a car that passed a battery load test (found out later) a few weeks before and then the battery failed.

If it had been tested for cca reading at that time, it would have failed.

Meaning, a load test "passed" does not give you much confidence.

Another instance was when I happened to check a battery that failed cca and told the owner so; but he refuse to believe as he thinks his engine one crank started, the battery can't be bad. It failed to crank 2 weeks later.

How low can cca go before replace? Months ago, during free svc, Stamford chk batt. Saw on chit orig cca was 660; measured cca at 440.

How low can cca go before replace? Months ago, during free svc, Stamford chk batt. Saw on chit orig cca was 660; measured cca at 440.

Depending on which tester, the ballpark figure is around 70~75% of specs.

So if the battery is rated at 660 cca and it now measures 440, you should start looking to change the battery.

If you don't, you might still be able to squeeze a few days or weeks out of that battery or you may get stuck sooner than you think.

It's like asking when do you change tyre ?

Some people say 1.6mm of thread left, but some say 3mm.

But when you get that lost traction and accident, it's too late.

for information sake, does any test out the new battery CCA with a tester when you just change battery?

It should alert you to how close to the manufacturing specs is the new battery or at least the state of charge the battery is in.

Neutral Newbie

Hi all, just got my 1yr 3mths amaron changed today.

Changed to a reconditioned alternator yesterday and today car cannot start again so prime suspect is the battery. Read about all the good reviews hence decided to try a japan made batt for once. But I'm rather confused as I was reading something about topping up to prolong lifespan?

Isn't this a maintenance free batt? Can anyone share? Thanks a lot

Depending on which tester, the ballpark figure is around 70~75% of specs.

So if the battery is rated at 660 cca and it now measures 440, you should start looking to change the battery.

If you don't, you might still be able to squeeze a few days or weeks out of that battery or you may get stuck sooner than you think.

It's like asking when do you change tyre ?

Some people say 1.6mm of thread left, but some say 3mm.

But when you get that lost traction and accident, it's too late.

So any batt u prefer? Most go for amaron due to longer lifespan vs cost.

shouldn't call good or bad electrolyte.

a healthy electrolyte should read 1.250 specific gravity level (fully charged)

a completely drain SG is ard 1.1 (fully discharged) not water

nowadays seldom see WS use hydrometer to test battery WHY? most all sealed and how to test water [thumbsdown]

So any batt u prefer? Most go for amaron due to longer lifespan vs cost.

Personally, I'd go for Amaron too.

However, some cars are prone to corrosion salt.

Using Amaron you tend to have to look out for them. Probably the acid is stronger there.

Acid strength depends on manufacturer. Too weak, and it dies off quickly. Too strong, and corrosion accelerates.

Nonetheless, those with corrosion salt should attempt to clean them up regularly.

You can use hot water to pour over the salt to dissolve them, just make sure not to short circuit the battery by pouring carefully only at one terminal at a time.

To reduce formation, you can put high temp grease coating over the terminals.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for the prompt reply. really appreciate it.

So we can choose to top up the water or not. But if I want to top up the battery water, since I have bought it...can you assist me which level should I top up?I mean is there any indicator or something so I can know and do not pour too much of it. Thanks again

Sorry bro, for replying late, as mentioned you could choose not to top up, the lifespan still could match most of the top brand in market. But, it would be best that you do, as by ensuring the plates being floated by battery water do help prolong the lifespan of the battery and Also, it would be safer in preventing explosion caused by low electrolyte level, as you could correct the electrolyte level.

You could top up the battery water level just enough to cover the top of the plates, or you could get the workshop that you purchased the battery to help topping up, advisable first check will be on 7th - 8th month for new battery, subsequent will be every 3-4 months, as different cars emission level varies.

Thanks...

Hi all, just got my 1yr 3mths amaron changed today.

Changed to a reconditioned alternator yesterday and today car cannot start again so prime suspect is the battery. Read about all the good reviews hence decided to try a japan made batt for once. But I'm rather confused as I was reading something about topping up to prolong lifespan?

Isn't this a maintenance free batt? Can anyone share? Thanks a lot

bro, this is a maintenance-free battery, but it is not completely sealed. hence, you can still top up with pure, distilled water if the electrolyte level is near the lower level marking on the battery.

Sorry bro, for replying late, as mentioned you could choose not to top up, the lifespan still could match most of the top brand in market. But, it would be best that you do, as by ensuring the plates being floated by battery water do help prolong the lifespan of the battery and Also, it would be safer in preventing explosion caused by low electrolyte level, as you could correct the electrolyte level.

You could top up the battery water level just enough to cover the top of the plates, or you could get the workshop that you purchased the battery to help topping up, advisable first check will be on 7th - 8th month for new battery, subsequent will be every 3-4 months, as different cars emission level varies.

Thanks...

No problem man...ok so as long as I can pour the water to cover the top of the plates it should be fine right..then i will do that. Thank you so much for your help.really appreciate it. You have a good day man.

↡ Advertisement