Vulcann

[lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed]

From My Paper:

RGPS students made to stand at assembly for months

rgps_tnp_131017.jpg?itok=uue333VQ

By Samantha Boh
My Paper
Thursday, Oct 17, 2013

SINGAPORE - For being "too talkative", a class of Primary 2 pupils from Raffles Girls' Primary School (RGPS) were made to stand for 15 minutes during every assembly.

This went on for three months, and raised the ire of a parent. The school's vice-principal has now admitted that the punishment was "excessive".

Chinese evening daily Lianhe Wanbao reported yesterday that the incident came to light when the father of one of the girls heard what was happening and visited the school to see for himself.

"Three months is too long for any parent to accept. I believe the rest of the parents do not know about this," he was quoted as saying.

The punishment reportedly began in July, when a teacher chided the class of 29 pupils for talking too much during assembly. They were then made to stand from 12.30pm to 12.45pm during every assembly, before being allowed to sit like the rest of their schoolmates.

RGPS vice-principal Choong Pek Lan told My Paper that the punishment was "excessive", and was not commonly used by teachers at the school. Both the school and the Education Ministry are looking into the matter.

MP Baey Yam Keng, a member of the Government Parliamentary Committee for Education, described the punishment as "embarrassing for the students". But he added that schools should not shy away from disciplining pupils who misbehave. "There needs to be a balance," he said.

[email protected]

myp_newlogo.gif
Get My Paper for more stories.

- See more at: http://www.edvantage.com.sg/content/rgps-students-made-stand-assembly-months#sthash.KINBLzJt.dpuf

(Source: http://www.edvantage.com.sg/content/rgps-students-made-stand-assembly-months )

↡ Advertisement

Reporter never say if the punishment was for a once off talkative behaviour or an on-going one that the "standing" punishment was trying to mend.

Time has changed. My teachers would be send to the gallows if they are teaching in today's context [sweatdrop]

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

wa lau, my time must put finger on lips la, or stand on the chair and pull ears one.

if i tell my parents i kena punish, they sure tell me its good for me and must be my fault! lol

• Praise 1

wa lau, my time must put finger on lips la, or stand on the chair and pull ears one.

if i tell my parents i kena punish, they sure tell me its good for me and must be my fault! lol

I won't tell my parents...cos it's a double whammy!! Kena jiak tin tiow from them [sweatdrop]

aiyo, 15 mins only mah. Not as though they stand for hours for every assembly.

Besides, I stand for 30 mins everyday in the train to office. Can I ask my dad to write in a letter to SMRT? Geeeze

• Praise 3

Reporter never say if the punishment was for a once off talkative behaviour or an on-going one that the "standing" punishment was trying to mend.

Time has changed. My teachers would be send to the gallows if they are teaching in today's context [sweatdrop]

that's why the attrition rate is quite high lo.....

Not referring to this particular case, parents should just leave teachers alone to do their jobs la.

Edited by Toothiewabbit
  • Praise 4

Different strokes for different folks.

What may seem excessive to some may be ok for others.

From the VP's tone & the fact the ministry has been alerted the said teacher may kena.

IMHO there was a case of a principal of throwing a book at a student literally and he was posted back to MOE as a result.

aiyo, 15 mins only mah. Not as though they stand for hours for every assembly.

Besides, I stand for 30 mins everyday in the train to office. Can I ask my dad to write in a letter to SMRT? Geeeze

do you feel humiliated? :huh:

[laugh]

From the VP's tone & the fact the ministry has been alerted the said teacher may kena.

IMHO there was a case of a principal of throwing a book at a student literally and he was posted back to MOE as a result.

it was all from home, parents who think the world owe them will end up having such kids.

My son in Pri school had teacher throwing book out from 2nd floor windows and the student has to go pick it up himself, no one make noise. Now in secondary school, he sees classmate shouting at teacher "i want to complain you! i want to complain you!" [shakehead][shakehead]

Edited by Jman888

The news then here:

http://www.corpun.com/sgs00405.htm

Just like what NS did to many of us, I think kids should go through some form of disciplining (in the right proportion) to make them a better person.

For this particular case, too little information was given so I won't be too quick to judge.

dunno what school the father is from. In my secondary school, everyone stands throughout the entire assembly, and it's more than just 15 minutes, and it's at the open basketball court and not some sheltered multi-purpose hall... weak siah...

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

Stop the bitch before we have another like the MY Vivian together with Alvin on Alvivi ... [grin]

That one still ok. Her mouth already used for better purpose other than bitching.. [sly]

Edited by Shull
↡ Advertisement