Jobs for Filipinos only.

JackRabbit

600 employers denied workers basic rights: MOM

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/600-employers-denied/880778.html

SINGAPORE: Some 600 employers have denied their employees basic employment rights, including overtime pay and leave days, said the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).

The ministry last year launched its employment rights protection campaign WorkRight.

Since then, it has conducted about 3,000 inspections and interviewed 12,000 Singaporean workers, mostly in low-wage sectors like retail, security and cleaning.

In the process, it has helped more than 22,000 Singaporean workers facing problems in getting what's due to them from their employers.

More than half of them are in the low-wage bracket.

The top infringements among the errant employers were not paying their workers for overtime work, and not giving their workers annual or sick leave.

A ministry spokesperson said most employers inspected were compliant, or "readily amended their practices", where minor infringements were found.

- CNA/al

-----------------------------------------

so.. finally, after kena poke a bit, we starting to see results from MOM:

Further questions to be raised:

1. What has MOM been doing all these years prior to this?

2. Now that it has finally woken up to do the work that it is being paid the world's highest salaries to do, is it doing enough?

3. For example: how many officers doing this work? There are thousands of employers to check, how can a few MOM officers cope? Why not hire some of these displaced PMETs to help out to accelerate the check?

4. What are the actions on these 600 errant employers? Pat on the head, and say "Ok, please don't do it again?" or some more serious punishment?

5. What else can the public do to speed things along? Write in the Minister's facebook? Or is there a proper channel that will actually work, or are Ministers' Facebooks now the official channel for gahmen feedback?

↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 1

All the FT FW are innocent here. It is not their fault for coming here to seek a better life. It is also not the employers fault to employ them and revenue-cost=profit. However, it is the policies that allow this to get out of hands and discriminate the locals that irk me. It is the policy makers who allow this to happen that bother me. The next generation of strawberries will have a very hard time to compete if we treat this.country like a INC instead of the sovereign rights of every mothers son that were borned here. We know all along who the policy makers are, so what are you going to do about it? What do you think?

Will they repent? Or they will just tell us to move on?

They allow such things to happen yet at the same time expect the ppl to trust them. Once the trust is broken, it takes lots of genuine efforts plus results to rebuild the trust. This applies to the relationship between friends, between employers/employees, govt / people.

• Praise 2

The first job advert asking for 'Filipinos' for a monthly salary of $1400/-.

I don't think any Singaporean would want to work for $1400/-

Lorry or van drivers already asking for ppl to joint at $1600 ~ $1800 .....

Maybe as one mini-star said, $7000/- per month for crane operator and a dish washer in Changi advert at $3000/- and no one want to work... [lipsrsealed]

I must correct that.

I works in a small org of < 30 headcounts, and this year we have 6 local recruits at $1400 and lesser; ages between 21 - 30.

All are keen to learn and pick up new skills, with 5 already exceeding $1600 after 6 months on the job.

I believes it's about the individual's attitude, and the employer's org culture.

• Praise 2

how could it be the employer fault when they are a sme that doesn't allow them to have a large structure for U to keep promoting and getting higher pay??

Their only fault is to try to be own boss but not able to set up a MNC from the start.

My take is that they want the benefits of a first-world environment for their businesses, but retain third-world practices i.e. low wages, taxes, overheads etc.

It's having the cake and wanting to eat it, that is their main fault.

My take is that they want the benefits of a first-world environment for their businesses, but retain third-world practices i.e. low wages, taxes, overheads etc.

It's having the cake and wanting to eat it, that is their main fault.

These SMEs' attitude is exacerbated by a sympathetic government that encourages this attitude by opening up the floodgates to foreigners, without considering the far-reaching impact it has had on the citizenry. And made worse, by being lenient on errant employers which had been discriminating against the citizens for many years.

You have brain or not? You don't know the meaning of due diligence?

You think MOM only 1 person do everything? You mean they don't have even 1 person to consider that employers and job agencies are discriminating against Singaporeans?

So are you calling Tan Chuan Jin a liar? You mean the Fair Consideration Framework is just for show and MOM now can stop and go for coffee?

You might as well be asking a fish if it has brains. Even if it could process the question, it would lack the language skills to communicate a legible response to you. That pretty much sums up this forummer.

JackRabbit, I agree with you. Posting about such ads and raising awareness doesn't necessarily means that such matters were not raised to the relevant authorities (if it was even your role to do so in the first place, but that is another issue related to civic conciousness that should not be linked to this first issue). Nor does it means that you are alleging MOM did not take any action on this - my take-away is that despite MOM's tough stand on such matters in paper, job ads which are obviously discriminatory in nature are still widespread; and MOM should be more vigilant and take more action to stamp out such practises.

You have to forgive the more simple-minded folks for missing the forest (the issue of enforcement and due dilligence) for the trees (specific existence of a few job ads), though. It's a common issue.

It is important for people to continually raise awareness of breaches and such issues as and when they encounter it. It is always a personal decision for somebody to even take the first step of doing so by posting in forums/Facebook/other media; take it a few steps further by escalating to the correct authorities or even advocacy. But again I stress, this is a personal decision and not a social obligation or a duty.

If and when people choose to take whatever steps - it is for the good of everybody. ​But for simple-minded fools who think that they have the right to lambaste or persecute other citizens who might not quite go as far as they do themselves - watch your boundaries and do not overstep them. You have no right to dictate the obligations or duties of your peer.

5 points to you.

• Praise 4
  • Dislike 1

You might as well be asking a fish if it has brains. Even if it could process the question, it would lack the language skills to communicate a legible response to you. That pretty much sums up this forummer.

JackRabbit, I agree with you. Posting about such ads and raising awareness doesn't necessarily means that such matters were not raised to the relevant authorities (if it was even your role to do so in the first place, but that is another issue related to civic conciousness that should not be linked to this first issue). Nor does it means that you are alleging MOM did not take any action on this - my take-away is that despite MOM's tough stand on such matters in paper, job ads which are obviously discriminatory in nature are still widespread; and MOM should be more vigilant and take more action to stamp out such practises.

You have to forgive the more simple-minded folks for missing the forest (the issue of enforcement and due dilligence) for the trees (specific existence of a few job ads), though. It's a common issue.

It is important for people to continually raise awareness of breaches and such issues as and when they encounter it. It is always a personal decision for somebody to even take the first step of doing so by posting in forums/Facebook/other media; take it a few steps further by escalating to the correct authorities or even advocacy. But again I stress, this is a personal decision and not a social obligation or a duty.

If and when people choose to take whatever steps - it is for the good of everybody. ​But for simple-minded fools who think that they have the right to lambaste or persecute other citizens who might not quite go as far as they do themselves - watch your boundaries and do not overstep them. You have no right to dictate the obligations or duties of your peer.

5 points to you.

In some cases, vigilant and collective exposures of wrong doings, Eg advertising discriminating job ads, are needed to help stop these wrong doings. While we dont point a gun to a person's head to force him to expose the wrong doing he sees, we may still have to promote the practice of exposures and not overtly emphasise the 'free-choice' not to expose. The line between 'anti active citizen efforts vs indifference' towards wrong doings can be a fine one. Edited by Maseratigood
  • Praise 1

Someone asked me to substantiate my statement:

NS for Singaporean, Jobs for foreigners. Now here goes;

In all, 62,600 employees were added to the workforce in the first six months, compared with 58,900 in the same period last year. Resident workers made up 55 per cent of the overall job gains in the first half, up from 45 per cent last year and 31 per cent in 2011.

There, 31% jobs for local, 69% for foreigners. Of the 31%, how many PR how many Sinkaporean?

That figure improves for us after the election after the MIW got frighten. We should keep scaring them if you ask me.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Supercharged

If they r talents no issue but most like to act. I'm also giving my pinoy girl last chance no improvement within 3 mths bye bye

What is she supposed to improve within 3 months wor....??

• Praise 1

What is she supposed to improve within 3 months wor....??

spread wider lor..... moan more....

I mean when she hangs out the laundary, must spread out the wet ones to sun better

• Dislike 1

Many will argue (myself included) that a single minded profit driven motive for business is counter-productive, and that companies that also recognise their social responsibility and behave ethically preform better in the long run.

Correct... every single business entitiy in the world will do tat (given a free hand)..., then y izzit not happening on such a scale.. becoz it is down to the respective govt to put in the regulations and checks... try going to German/Finland/ Holland/Norway.... see how much hassle just to get a work permit...

Put in simply... companies exist just for profit not for morality (that is for charity).... govt cannot operate like a INC... there are alot of other considerations, moral grounds/ patriotism/ identity... funniest thing is the highest paid polictians on planet earth can only come up with single dimension ideas to increase GDP creating loads of problems for the pple along the way...we shld sit back and see wat kind of excuses they can come up ... kinda of funny to watch after awhile...

↡ Advertisement