Harvey Norman's extended warranty sucks

Philipkee

My bro bought a computer from Harvey Norman's about a year ago and purchased the extended warranty.

Recently, his computer broke down and he went on Sunday to Harvey Norman's outset at Funan to make full use of the extended warranty since it was still valid.

There, the sales person (I was there) told him to just call the number from monday to Friday and then go to the service centre. No, they do not do the servicing at the outlet, no they cannot let him leave the lap top at the store and fo them to send it to the store on his behalf and no, the service centre is open only from monday to friday. mad.gifmad.gif

My bro was freaking mad because he was only free on Sunday and he did not mind if there were delays if for example they said something like they can despatch the lapop but there will be delays because they can despatch only on Mondays..... or something.

A complaint was lodged to Harvy Norman''s and the only thing the person told him when he replied was "Company's policy".

The extended warranty is not cheap and with such poor service, I think I should inform the bros here that while Harvey Norman's products might be good, do not be taken in by their extended warranty in the hope that they will assist you when you need help, because they will not.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Dislike 9

I don't see anything wrong. The outlet is not a place for repair. Can't expect them to be courier service for the laptop. If the repair centre is open only on weekdays, then bo bian. Staff also need to rest on weekends.

TS friend should have called before heading down. Would have avoided a lot of unhappiness.

I don't see anything wrong. The outlet is not a place for repair. Can't expect them to be courier service for the laptop. If the repair centre is open only on weekdays, then bo bian. Staff also need to rest on weekends.

TS friend should have called before heading down. Would have avoided a lot of unhappiness.

I think the unhappiness stemmed from the fact that Harvey Norman's could not even offer any help other than call this number. If they cannot even courier the computer and service centres are closed on weekends, I think something is wrong as most ppl are busy working on weekdays.

I think the unhappiness stemmed from the fact that Harvey Norman's could not even offer any help other than call this number. If they cannot even courier the computer and service centres are closed on weekends, I think something is wrong as most ppl are busy working on weekdays.

wa lau.. ur brother can get his own courier to pick up from his office oso wat..

or call the blardy num given to u by harvey norman and see if they can arrange for courier to pick up if your brother cannot do it himself..

Edited by Rainbowbiatch
  • Praise 3

Warranty claimed are far and few in between it doesn't make sense for them to operate on weekend.

The extended warranty is outsource to a third party....what do you want the staff there to do???........

On the side note.............i bought a TV from HN with extended warranty also................had problem and I called the hotline...........an appointment was made and the tech came down.........sort out the issue and left...............no charge........

I say thumbs up to Harvey Norman's extended warranty!!!! [thumbsup]

there is a thing call annual leave..............or some companies do give time off............since most ppl are busy working on weekdays..............does it means all services must operate on weekends????...........

wa lau.. ur brother can get his own courier to pick up from his office oso wat..

or call the blardy num given to u by harvey norman and see if they can arrange for courier to pick up if your brother cannot do it himself..

next time must buy from those can drop off for repair at 7-11 one................ [laugh]

• Praise 2

I think you are expecting service at the retail outlet to a level that is a tag too high. Take it easy. Call up the service centre and see what can be done. If they do courier the laptop for you, then that's top notch service. If they don't, then it's the norm. Nothing alarming to fret about.

Woa rau. Jin demanding wor. How ppl operate service centre also cannot wor.

Jin how lian sia. Wo lui teh si lang.

Pay for extended warranty jin tua ki meh? [thumbsdown]

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Basically u want courier service or onsite repair, u have to be a business customer.

I think you are too harsh on the HN staff. While i can understand why you are upset, your brother should have bothered to find out what's the warranty policy like when buying the item in the first place.

Almost all service centers operate on a weekday service

• Praise 3

Anyway, I was in the service line before and during those times, we (healthcare industry) have always tried to be flexible when dealing with patients, even bending the rules a little to make sure there is seamless care.

For me, not really angry (since not my computer anyway) but what irked me is that the policy is so rigid that they cannot bend to accommodate. I know it is wrong to ask people to bend but having worked in the service line and bending frequently, I guess what irked me is that what is done in one line is not done across all service lines.

Anyway, I was in the service line before and during those times, we (healthcare industry) have always tried to be flexible when dealing with patients, even bending the rules a little to make sure there is seamless care.

For me, not really angry (since not my computer anyway) but what irked me is that the policy is so rigid that they cannot bend to accommodate. I know it is wrong to ask people to bend but having worked in the service line and bending frequently, I guess what irked me is that what is done in one line is not done across all service lines.

Healthcare (patients) and electronics stuff different matters lah. One is live and death or welfare of human beings, the other is just a piece of equipment.

i never believe what extended warranty offer by these mega store...

Yup, if need to pay extra, don't bother unless it's Apple computers under AppleCare.

If given FOC, just accept it if you need the thing and price of goods is acceptable.

I bought a Samsung vacumn cleaner many years back at HN and was given "free" extended warranty.

Edited by Kangadrool

My bro bought a computer from Harvey Norman's about a year ago and purchased the extended warranty.

Recently, his computer broke down and he went on Sunday to Harvey Norman's outset at Funan to make full use of the extended warranty since it was still valid.

There, the sales person (I was there) told him to just call the number from monday to Friday and then go to the service centre. No, they do not do the servicing at the outlet, no they cannot let him leave the lap top at the store and fo them to send it to the store on his behalf and no, the service centre is open only from monday to friday. mad.gifmad.gif

My bro was freaking mad because he was only free on Sunday and he did not mind if there were delays if for example they said something like they can despatch the lapop but there will be delays because they can despatch only on Mondays..... or something.

A complaint was lodged to Harvy Norman''s and the only thing the person told him when he replied was "Company's policy".

The extended warranty is not cheap and with such poor service, I think I should inform the bros here that while Harvey Norman's products might be good, do not be taken in by their extended warranty in the hope that they will assist you when you need help, because they will not.

IMO, your brother didn't do enough due diligence before going down to the retail outlet.

Is it so difficult to give them a call and discuss with them to see if there are other alternatives like dispatching a courier to get it from him or they are willing to wait longer on weekdays for your bro? Sometimes, if your bro is polite enough, they do make exceptions.

Otherwise, get your bro to take half day leave or something to go to the service center. Just because he is only free on Sunday does not mean everyone else has to work on weekends to accomodate him.

Yes, he paid for the extended waranty. But do you know that if HN has all their servicing staff to work on weekends, your brother would probabaly end up paying double for that extended waranty.? So, give and take la......

Edited by Icedbs

It's really tough to be in the Retail business now! But the root problem is the extended warranty - Customers expect more from the money they have paid.

the extended warranty we pay only favor for us going down to the service center ourself, unless u want to pay more.

↡ Advertisement