Home renovation tips

Gary469

Personally I only let established company that's been in business for at least 5 years, and also registered with RADAC, do my house Reno.

next thing is to get at least quotes from 3-5 of these more established companies. The project coordinator who I feel most dedicated to service my project and reasonable quote gets my job.

I don't always go for lowest quote..

And I don't use relative and friends' friends company.

And I avoid Reno firm that asked for more than 20% to start work as it means financially they are more tight.

All those who charge me extra to give me 3D rendering drawings will not get my $$ as well.

The last contractor I used, the final 15% payment I gotta chase the coordinator to collect the cheque from me and close case.

have u posted your job up on KLUJE website?

it seems to me that the price of 50K seems the contractor is either 1, ripping u off, or 2, giving u a friendship price.

bro, don't understand.. u saying my condo job is too expensive or too cheap?

Anyone got good contractor to intro?

Just to check.. anyone tried overlay floor laminate over ceramic tiles? Will it last?

Also for a 30 plus years flat, how much to do rewiring of all electrical point. I believe this is impt esp for old flat.

Any advice pls

Just to check.. anyone tried overlay floor laminate over ceramic tiles? Will it last?

Also for a 30 plus years flat, how much to do rewiring of all electrical point. I believe this is impt esp for old flat.

Any advice pls

I forget to add its a 3rm flat.

Also thinking to hack the toilet and redo everything.

MCF bros/sis...

will be collecting my BTO keys in the next 3-4 months or so, so i'm starting to hunt for ID..

Anyone to recommend? Need to be patient with me, as I need to have everything done to the tiniest detail.

Have read renotalk, but too much info there at the same time, so i will appreciate if someone here knows those with experience.

Thanks

I can recommend my ID. If u are interested, just PM me.

He's arranging the painter to come paint up the half wall which he built for me. It's the 2nd time. 1 year on liao, still offer such service.

My T-blog should be on renotalk still. Can just search. Same nick as my MCF nick.

My BIL renovating now, i see his "ID" really shake head. really yi fen qian yi fen huo.

Any advice pls

There's nothing wrong if the ceramic tiles are well laid initially. But let ur contractor check first...

Rewiring should be 3-4+k usually for 4-5 room flat. Depends on how many sockets u want to put up. Some contractors will bring down the price but pad it up in other parts of the quotation...

If old homogeneous tiles, better avoid overlay. Ceramic still can try your luck. But, if I am you, will hack away since it's 30 years old thing. Have a clean slate for peace of mind. Tiles may be non-living, but they need "breathing" space and fair usage too. If too long never "used", will have problems also.

Wiring also change since 30 years liao. Toilets consperm must change.

Any built in cabinets also junk 'cos one by one piece by piece will drop off without prior notice.

Any advice pls

Edited by Kangadrool

Thanks for the advise. Noted that flooring ia better to hack rather overlay. This is to prevent next time pop up issue.

Not necessary to hack if you can live with it.

Hacking plus re-laying will set you back by approximately $3K upwards for 3 room flats (about 700 sgft, less toilets and kitchen)

Laminating over existing tiles will set you back for the same area almost the same price. Less durable though.

I would agree with those who advise you to hack and lay new tiles. Once and for all for the next 20 years at least.

As for electrical, you can count the points and get a rough guide, based on single gang per per pt (about $30 per piece) or multi gang, lighting points, air con switch and so forth. I can't really remember the cost, but this can be researched easily or through websites or a couple of phone calls.

Not forgetting if you hack wall tiles in kitchen, you will have to replace the switches and probably the water and gas pipes. You may then want to consider re-running the water pipes for whole house. I was told copper pipes are better than stainless steel ones.

Wiring try to get a package cost. Double gang abt 55. Based on the prices, compute the total and then ask for a package based on the total itemised cost.

Screenshot_2015_02_12_21_04_43.jpg

Hi

Just to check if this quotation is ok or expensive?

the quote looks expensive

better get 2nd n 3rd quotes from others

• Praise 4

very expensive. What brand/model switches are you given ? Your material cost should be less than $600.

For eg. Your CCU (Circuit breaker box) material cost is about $100 using a reputable brand like hager.

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 1

kns, reno seebeh headache. Suay suay sign with inexperienced ID, partly my fault never check her portfolio, etc.

Just cos i have my own design and simple works only so just need someone to do the main coordination.

Experience in the sequencing of the works also very important, which i regret to say she has none.

HAck half wall, never smooth the rest of the wall, just plaster abit here and there and paint over. WTF.

Anyway, lesson learnt, finding ID need some luck, some are expensive but no substance, mine is not so expensive, but same no substance.

• Praise 1

Make sure supervise closely, make sure they changed out all wirings. LoL...

If I were TS, I will wait until after CNY completely over, then source for better quotes. That should be the dry season for reno.

kns, reno seebeh headache. Suay suay sign with inexperienced ID, partly my fault never check her portfolio, etc.

Just cos i have my own design and simple works only so just need someone to do the main coordination.

Experience in the sequencing of the works also very important, which i regret to say she has none.

HAck half wall, never smooth the rest of the wall, just plaster abit here and there and paint over. WTF.

Anyway, lesson learnt, finding ID need some luck, some are expensive but no substance, mine is not so expensive, but same no substance.

no need luck. just get first hand recommendations from family and friends lor

very expensive. What brand/model switches are you given ? Your material cost should be less than $600.

For eg. Your CCU (Circuit breaker box) material cost is about $100 using a reputable brand like hager.

do you have HDB approved electrician to recommend me?

yes, I know its ex. But to me electric wiring is most impt to me, as this lead to safety.

• Praise 1