Home renovation tips

Gary469

Anyone tried weiken ID? Lee guo hwang advertisement one. How is the pricing and quality?

I'm gonna collect my BTO keys by March, so have been doing alot of research on renovation stuff.

From what i gather, the ID company is least of your concern. What is the most important is whether you like your ID and his/her experience. There are 3 main aspects when choosing ID.

First is the design mentality. This is very subjective, one man's poison is another man's meat. Important is your ID understand your needs and can translate them to something you like.

Second, he must be responsible and do proper project management during your renovation period. You get a half-f**ked ID who can't manage your reno, you're better off finding a general contractor and do the management yourself. If something goes wrong, he/she should be the one you call and get things right. You don't have to go down and speak to the contractor yourself.

Also, important to note that some ID don't like you to bring in your own carpenter to do things, (as they earn less profit margin), while some don't mind as long as you consult them on the colour of your carpentry so as not to deviate from the overall design colour scheme. The good ones will even help you manage their own contractors and your own contractor, cos they don't want to screw up their portfolio.

Lastly, workmanship. This is probably the only part which will be affected by your ID company. Because you will use their contractor, so if the contractor they engage has lousy workmanship, you'll suffer a few years down the road.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

hi shull,

since you have done extensive research, can share few ID companies (the designer) that you feel ok?

can share via PM if you don't want it to be public. thanks!

I'm gonna collect my BTO keys by March, so have been doing alot of research on renovation stuff.

From what i gather, the ID company is least of your concern. What is the most important is whether you like your ID and his/her experience. There are 3 main aspects when choosing ID.

First is the design mentality. This is very subjective, one man's poison is another man's meat. Important is your ID understand your needs and can translate them to something you like.

Second, he must be responsible and do proper project management during your renovation period. You get a half-f**ked ID who can't manage your reno, you're better off finding a general contractor and do the management yourself. If something goes wrong, he/she should be the one you call and get things right. You don't have to go down and speak to the contractor yourself.

Also, important to note that some ID don't like you to bring in your own carpenter to do things, (as they earn less profit margin), while some don't mind as long as you consult them on the colour of your carpentry so as not to deviate from the overall design colour scheme. The good ones will even help you manage their own contractors and your own contractor, cos they don't want to screw up their portfolio.

Lastly, workmanship. This is probably the only part which will be affected by your ID company. Because you will use their contractor, so if the contractor they engage has lousy workmanship, you'll suffer a few years down the road.

Edited by Wt_know

Hi Shull,

If you dun mind, please also share with me your contacts and your selection of which ID or contractor.

Some ID charge GST some dun. Some giving 2 years warranty some 3 years. Some ID include electric some dun. Most ID do not have own labour to do the carpentry or tiling. Even in same ID company some designers have own preferred workers. Really hard to choose.

Can the saving from engaging contractor be about 20% of the reno cost?

Well, i have signed the contract with an ID firm (a relatively large firm that does renovation for a couple of mediacorp artiste, you can go Google [:p] ).

Why i sign up is partly because the ID which I engage is very professional and can connect with me (which is important).

Compared to other 2 ID which i have personally went down to their office and discuss my ideas, 1 totally forgot about the follow up meeting AND whatever i've mentioned in the first meeting. Another one didn't bother to reply to my email after the first meeting.

Another reason is that their standard package covers all the basic necessities for a standard HDB flat, at a relatively reasonable price.

But IMO, it's better for me to wait out until my renovation has completed before I can give a full feedback and recommend him to you guys.

Nevertheless, if you guys still want his contact along with what's in the package, you can still PM me.

Edited by Shull

Well, i have signed the contract with an ID firm (a relatively large firm that does renovation for a couple of mediacorp artiste, you can go Google [:p] ).

Why i sign up is partly because the ID which I engage is very professional and can connect with me (which is important).

Compared to other 2 ID which i have personally went down to their office and discuss my ideas, 1 totally forgot about the follow up meeting AND whatever i've mentioned in the first meeting. Another one didn't bother to reply to my email after the first meeting.

Another reason is that their standard package covers all the basic necessities for a standard HDB flat, at a relatively reasonable price.

But IMO, it's better for me to wait out until my renovation has completed before I can give a full feedback and recommend him to you guys.

Nevertheless, if you guys still want his contact along with what's in the package, you can still PM me.

must be weiken.com. Mark Lee endorse one.

Been there last week for a quick quotation. so far so good. they are very friendly. but as of the workmanship, I am not too sure. But since such a big company, they probably wont do a slipshod work. Any complaint against them is very damaging.

Hence, my conclusion is that though its a bit more ex, but it sort of buying some assurance.

Still waiting for their final quotation to reach me.

• Praise 1

weiken.com got ads does not mean is good ... if you go IMM and check out all the reno companies ... many are 1/2 past six ... heng sway if you get a good or bad one ...

• Praise 1

weiken.com got ads does not mean is good ... if you go IMM and check out all the reno companies ... many are 1/2 past six ... heng sway if you get a good or bad one ...

I won't trust ads or what not. I only trust the person.

My ID u tell him once, he will remember 90-95% of what u said and he will ensure the guy on the ground knows what I want.

Some ID, u tell 3 times also no use one. In the end the worker on the ground is still one blur sotong. Only knows he's down here to do something.

Get someone personally recommended by someone u know (and not too overly popular).

If you go by ads or what not, same as taking a shot in the dark. Even Renotalk recommendations can be a double edged sword.

I appreciate my ID more after i see the frustration that my BIL had with his...

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

well said. it's the ID who you are dealing not the company popularity and ads.

I won't trust ads or what not. I only trust the person.

My ID u tell him once, he will remember 90-95% of what u said and he will ensure the guy on the ground knows what I want.

Some ID, u tell 3 times also no use one. In the end the worker on the ground is still one blur sotong. Only knows he's down here to do something.

Get someone personally recommended by someone u know (and not too overly popular).

If you go by ads or what not, same as taking a shot in the dark. Even Renotalk recommendations can be a double edged sword.

I appreciate my ID more after i see the frustration that my BIL had with his...

• Praise 2

that's why must have good ID... somethings really cannot save money wor

or ask friends in construction also can

save more on ID, spend more on reno next time si bei boh hua sia

gong gong xi xi to u like that lor wahahaha

• Praise 2

Hi all,

Just wanna find out more about landed homes A&A, Reconstruction etc. Is there any thread here in MCF that talks about this? I did search/ advanced search also cannot find.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

Just wanna find out more about landed homes A&A, Reconstruction etc. Is there any thread here in MCF that talks about this? I did search/ advanced search also cannot find.

Thanks in advance.

just done A&A... but i can only give you limited info.. lol

here should answer most of your questions

http://www.ura.gov.sg/uol/circulars/2005/sep/dc05_21.aspx

Edited by Galantspeedz

just done A&A... but i can only give you limited info.. lol

here should answer most of your questions

http://www.ura.gov.sg/uol/circulars/2005/sep/dc05_21.aspx

Hi Galantspeedz,

Thanks!, That's fast.

Wow this is a really old Circular since 2005!

Anyway I'm looking at buying a small landed, around land 1600sqf - 2500sqf inter or corner terrace. Not sure better to buy those new-built or land-only or in between.

Thus looking at the different options as well as cost of A&A, Recon or rebuilt....so many terms until I blur. And also the financing options and possibilities from bank. Don't want to be caught with my pants down if I rebuild and then cost over-run have to find extra cash if bank do not loan....

Thus doing my research now.....

Hi Galantspeedz,

Thanks!, That's fast.

Wow this is a really old Circular since 2005!

Anyway I'm looking at buying a small landed, around land 1600sqf - 2500sqf inter or corner terrace. Not sure better to buy those new-built or land-only or in between.

Thus looking at the different options as well as cost of A&A, Recon or rebuilt....so many terms until I blur. And also the financing options and possibilities from bank. Don't want to be caught with my pants down if I rebuild and then cost over-run have to find extra cash if bank do not loan....

Thus doing my research now.....

i feel it is better to buy those house with old infrastructure then do A&A...

the quality of old infrastructure is very solid, sadly the same cannot be said about a new infrastructure....

personal opinion only

ultimately it also depends what you want in a house.... for me, presentable and practical is good enough.... some wants it sibei swee than likely has to reconstruct

the cost between A&A and reconstruct is also about double.. so you have to calculate how much additional space you will have if you do A&A or reconstruct... since A&A allow you 50% already

but note the additional 50% allowed is not based on current gfa .... but on the very very initial gfa..... if the house already is 50% extra gfa, then it means you cannot exceed current gfa

disclaimer: please do own research if what i say correct bo.... just in case i wrong..lol

financing wise i can't really help you.. paiseh

Edited by Galantspeedz

I used contractor and my own carpenter..

but designs wise not as pretty as ID-designed ones, of cause. Though it's cheaper still, and important for me cause who knows how designs fad will change in future.

but one thing I insisted was to NOT have open kitchen and also cove lightings - cleaning nightmare.

↡ Advertisement