River Valley High teacher knocked down by van outside school

JackRabbit

http://news.asiaone.com/news/edvantage/river-valley-high-teacher-knocked-down-van-outside-school

River Valley High teacher knocked down by van outside school

rvhs_hit.jpg

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013
SINGAPORE - A River Valley High School teacher was hit by a goods van suspected of beating the red light near the school gate.

Mrs Eileen Pua Jiu Er, 31, a chemistry teacher, suffered three fractures and was sent to hospital, Lianhe Wanbao reported.

The accident happened on Tuesday, at a traffic crossing outside the school at about 12.15pm.

Mrs Pua had been crossing a road along Boon Lay Avenue, just outside the school, when the accident occured.

This morning, Mrs Pua spoke to reporters at the National University Hospital's Intensive Care Unit (ICU).

She said she was on her way home and had just started crossing the road when she suddenly felt something hit her forcefully.

When she regained consciousness, she found herself lying on a hospital bed.

"I saw the pedestrian traffic light turn green before stepping off the curb," she said.

"I am a teacher, and I need to set a good example when I'm outside the school, so I definitely wouldn't cross when the light is still red," she told Wanbao reporters.

She suffered multiple fractures all over her body, broken ribs and is expected to take at least a month to recover.

Closed-circuit television footage was not able to determine if Mrs Pua had dashed across the road when the light had not yet turned green or if the van driver had beaten the red light.

------

Remember that earlier video - where the taxi jammed brakes after running red lights, and managed to stop before hitting the car?

This van was not so lucky... hope the punishment is severe. Gotta teach drivers to slow down at amber and stop at red light; not to save a couple of minutes by running the red lights; but risking harming people.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Actually... to be on the safe side, pedestrians should also check if traffic is stopped before crossing. Even though green man for pedestrian to cross; always check left and right before crossing. And don't use mobile phone whilst crossing.

Because when metal meets flesh - metal wins.

• Praise 3

Actually... to be on the safe side, pedestrians should also check if traffic is stopped before crossing. Even though green man for pedestrian to cross; always check left and right before crossing. And don't use mobile phone whilst crossing.

Exactly!
  • Praise 2

Is it too much to have red light camera on all junctions and traffic lights. if drivers know they cannot get away with a dangerous driving act, they will not try. Punishing a traffic offender after the act is less effective. This had been done for decades but does it stop drivers dangerous habit? I know this because it is obvious to me that drivers are more and more ignoring red lights by a few seconds. It has become the default.

• Praise 2

But at least she will be able to hear a vehicle coming towards her? I mean it's a van and not a Lexus. Maybe she had earplugs on.

I find what she says doubtful. Most pedestrians would lookout for vehicles so that when there's a chance of no vehicles they would jaywalk. But for her she depends solely on the green man? I'm not suggesting anything.... yet. What do you think?

Want to set example but surely eyes will drift to look out for cars.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

But at least she will be able to hear a vehicle coming towards her? I mean it's a van and not a Lexus. Maybe she had earplugs on.

I find what she says doubtful. Most pedestrians would lookout for vehicles so that when there's a chance of no vehicles they would jaywalk. But for her she depends solely on the green man? I'm not suggesting anything.... yet. What do you think?

i second your view. To set an example but not looking out for oncoming vehicles.....not right.

That is why i always tell my kids to be on the look out even if there is a green man waving at you.

• Praise 4

Closed-circuit television footage was not able to determine if Mrs Pua had dashed across the road when the light had not yet turned green or if the van driver had beaten the red light.

looks like it is a close call... if CCTV can't determine.. probably means that she stepped off the kerb just as green man came on, or just before.

Anyway... whether red or green, drivers have a responsibility to take greater car at junctions to avoid hitting pedestrians. I wonder if the van driver can sleep at night after this.

Agree with you that she should have keep a lookout before crossing....but har.....

.....at the end of a day after clocking up to 6-8 teaching sessions, CCA, meetings and administrative work, some teachers are like the walking dead heading home one.

• Praise 1

I tink as a safe driver, it is not right to just have the pedestrian to look out - If metal wins, then drivers are even more responsible to keep a look out for pedestrian near to any types of crossing.

In driving school, we are already taught to slow down keep look out for pedestrian. Don't blame others before looking at ourselves. We are pedestrians and drivers... so when I'm pedestrian dun I wish that the drivers look out for me?

But some pedestrians are just pedestrians, as drivers we should exercise cautious while driving near crossings and look out for them. We know the pedestrians can be kuku too not forgetting we drivers oso hve kuku drivers

Moral of story, when you are pointing 1 finger at others 3 fingers are pointing back at you. Don't believe try it!! [nod]

Edited by Carnoob
  • Praise 2

Repost from HWZ for more awareness for search for witness.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat-drink-man-woman-16/%5Bwitness-needed%5Daccident-along-boon-lay-ave-just-outside-river-valley-high-school-4449546.html

Shin8713 wrote:

My brother-in-law post :

Hi friends. My wife was hit by a van yesterday, 5 Nov 2013, afternoon along Boon Lay Ave just outside River Valley High School. She was on her way home leaving the school.
The Traffic Police Investigating Officer estimate the accident to be around 1215 to 1230 pm. As of now, they only have the one sided story from the van driver and not able to find any witness.
I sincerely request for any kind soul who witness the accident to step forward so that we can link you to the officer to assist in the investigation. If you have in car camera and in the vicinity around 12 to 1245pm, please kindly help check your recording to see if you capture anything useful. I just wish that this can be a fair investigation to be fair to my wife. She had suffered numerous bone fractures and some broken ribs that bruised some internal organs and minor blood clot in head. Her master right arm might permanently be weaker than normal and the healed broken ribs might still bring her pain in the future. If you have any info, please msg me here your contacts so that I can forward it to the investigating officer. If not, I need your help to make this viral by sharing it with as many pple as possible and keep sharing it on. I really hope to find someone who can help with the investigation. Please note that this is not a scam and I am a real person. Thanks you.

• Praise 5

Now a days many motorists beating red lights,those crossing the road,should look out for cars,even the lights is in your flavour.

Light in favour, setting example all this are good, but still have to look out for cars, always when standing right in front of zebra crossing, a lot of vehicles fail to stop even when they look at me in the eyes. No matter what always practice defensive when on the road be it driving or walking.

• Praise 2

When I travel in most developed countries, I notice how drivers slow down on their own accord when driving in a "School Zone"...

But in Singapore, this is not always the case…We maybe Educated, but still have a long way to go when it comes to being Considerate…Very sad, but very true...

Edited by Chowyunfatt
  • Praise 8

When I travel in most developed countries, I notice how drivers slow down on their own accord when driving in a "School Zone"...

But in Singapore, this is not always the case…We maybe Educated, but still have a long way to go when it comes to being Considerate…Very sad, but very true...

Just got back from Beijing, their car force their way even when it's lighted green man, it make one practice defensive walking over there, we just need that here, don't take things for granted.

Others wrong, their problem, we get hurt, our problem. So what when we are able to claim million dollar from their insurance, losing a limb or paralyze are no joke...

Turbocharged

A gentle reminder to all drivers. We are operating a deadly weapon every time we are on the steering wheel.

• Praise 2

exactly, I see in Oz, speed limit at school zones 40kmh, and everyone automatically slow down. In fact several times there are police with speedgun at the school zones to enforce. Even if 1 or 2 km/h above limit, tio fine!

• Praise 1

A gentle reminder to all drivers. We are operating a deadly weapon every time we are on the steering wheel.

Those who need reminders, should never be allowed to drive to begin with…

School Zone = Children = Slow Down Please… If there are those who cannot comprehend this equation … pls don't drive … Thank you.

↡ Advertisement