Merc disc rotor lifespan?

Jhyy701

I do a proper inspection of the timing belt when it is removed for replacement but u can peek at it if u remove the timing belt cover.

Most other cars hv 2 mileage to change the timing belt. Normal use n Severe use. For the Optra ty only mention one mileage so I think that is the Severe mileage. I was doing my own check on what is the Normal mileage to change.

At least now I know its abt 80K km b4 I need to change.

sounds a bit mechanically challenging to the layman to remove cover. U DIY?
↡ Advertisement

General rule that my mech told me is to change the rotor for every two pad change. $1900 for rear or front or all four? Almost half price can change all four rotor + pad + sensor.

I previously owned both C180 (supercharged elliptical lights) & E250 ( current turbocharged). Changed both rotor am disc at about 70000km. Had changed the pads frequently though. The rotor and disc in the C class are actually manufactured by Brembo. When I drove a 1.6 Japanese car, I had only changed the pads even when it hit 110000km. I think with force induction cars, you will drive harder and brake

heavily. I drove my E250 until it had grinding noise from brakes, the pads & rotors were very worn down.

Why is that the rotor for Jap cars last longer than German cars?

Why is that the rotor for Jap cars last longer than German cars?

German cars are over-engineered, Japanese cars are engineered for simplicity.

Japanese and Swiss mechanical watches - which is easier and more pocket-friendly to maintain?

Facepalm... incorrect explanation bro

German cars are rated for the Autobahn. They must be able to withstand braking from Vmax to a standstill 3 consecutive times hence the pads are more abrasive and the rotors have a higher min. thickness. Of course you can run 3-4 pads on one rotor, but in an event you need to brake hard from a high speed, e.g. emergency on NSHW, the worn down rotor with less mass might not be able take the heat. One rotor for my BMW costs less than $200... I won't bother saving on this kind of money (~2 tanks of fuel?) for safety.

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 1

W204, C200.

your brake pad can last 100k+ ??

Nay... I hope that I can do that too haha

Every 25k to 30k change front pad... Rear ones agar agar double that

Facepalm... incorrect explanation bro

German cars are rated for the Autobahn. They must be able to withstand braking from Vmax to a standstill 3 consecutive times hence the pads are more abrasive and the rotors have a higher min. thickness. Of course you can run 3-4 pads on one rotor, but in an event you need to brake hard from a high speed, e.g. emergency on NSHW, the worn down rotor with less mass might not be able take the heat. One rotor for my BMW costs less than $200... I won't bother saving on this kind of money (~2 tanks of fuel?) for safety.

you got a point there.

↡ Advertisement