New jobs laws bite into Singapore food outlets, rents

Picnic06-Biante15

I'm quite surprised. I thought most people dislike that kinda jobs cos it numbs the brain and is quite boring. It's one thing to do the same job for years. But if there is minimal variation, that when it really gets dull ...

Think the person is near retirement age?

↡ Advertisement

Think the person is near retirement age?

not really, in the pass many young malaysian like to work as operators, their life is simple and do not want so much worries in their life. I see many of them so happy after work and have time for other entertainment to loosen up and relax.

Edited by Jman888

I'm quite surprised. I thought most people dislike that kinda jobs cos it numbs the brain and is quite boring. It's one thing to do the same job for years. But if there is minimal variation, that when it really gets dull ...

This was what I thot so. But apparently, I was wrong.. Tell u one classic example. I have this lady in mid 40s who joined us a production operator. After 2 months, I told her that she was good, bilingual, detailed and meticulous and would promote her to do QC work with a $300 increase. Guess what was her reply to me.... Boss, like that I will quit immediately..... I was like [furious][furious][furious]

In the end, I give this appointment to a PRC worker who only knows Chinese. As she also covers store and some other small admin task, I pay her S$2500 per month. And my is a small company and hence, although she multi task, she still gets to go home at 6pm daily and 5 days work week.

• Dislike 1

I see many of them so happy after work and have time for other entertainment to loosen up and relax.

Work Life Balance [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

This was what I thot so. But apparently, I was wrong.. Tell u one classic example. I have this lady in mid 40s who joined us a production operator. After 2 months, I told her that she was good, bilingual, detailed and meticulous and would promote her to do QC work with a $300 increase. Guess what was her reply to me.... Boss, like that I will quit immediately..... I was like [furious][furious][furious]

In the end, I give this appointment to a PRC worker who only knows Chinese. As she also covers store and some other small admin task, I pay her S$2500 per month. And my is a small company and hence, although she multi task, she still gets to go home at 6pm daily and 5 days work week.

Because she is working for the sake of working nia. She don't need the job. Edited by Joseph22

Looks like she just like to do her own job well. Signing off for others is sticking out her neck for other's mistake.

At 40s, was she a mother? Her priorities would be different. Multi tasking = feeling drained after work. Many mothers upon reaching home still have to go thru children's work. Cannot exhaust all energy during work.

Also percentage wise, was the increment in tandem with the added load.?

Looks like she just like to do her own job well. Signing off for others is sticking out her neck for other's mistake.

At 40s, was she a mother? Her priorities would be different. Multi tasking = feeling drained after work. Many mothers upon reaching home still have to go thru children's work. Cannot exhaust all energy during work.

thanks to these devoted mums, thats why our PSLE result so high [laugh][laugh]

If the foriegn labor issue had been dealt with earlier before property prices spiked, then it would have been a different issue now.

Higher labor cost would have been factored into cost of business.This would have put a damper on landlords' ability to charge or increase rents and hence the bidding frenzy for commmercial properties.

Just see how many stallholders are indirectly just working for the landlord now and I wonder if the "excuse" of high rentals (resulting in current high cost of business) to suppress rightful wages is correct?

Because she is working for the sake of working nia. She don't need the job.

bro, you are spot on.... [thumbsup]

About 25% from her basic pay. But no enough can tell me and negotiate lah...

When hawker centre 'chye tau kuay' price at $8/- per packet, imagine the ministar who ate the $10/- one will increase to ...... :o

if we take things to the extreme, probably high food cost will result in a much healthier nation since everyone either eats lesser or cooks more often at home.

If the foriegn labor issue had been dealt with earlier before property prices spiked, then it would have been a different issue now.

Higher labor cost would have been factored into cost of business.This would have put a damper on landlords' ability to charge or increase rents and hence the bidding frenzy for commmercial properties.

Just see how many stallholders are indirectly just working for the landlord now and I wonder if the "excuse" of high rentals (resulting in current high cost of business) to suppress rightful wages is correct?

If our rental is low.. Likely property price is low. Then we don't even need to talk about high pay.

End of the day, high property price be it resale or private or commercial is the root problem.

If our rental is low.. Likely property price is low. Then we don't even need to talk about high pay.

End of the day, high property price be it resale or private or commercial is the root problem.

n d biggest driver for that = 6.9M. 1 hand many complain too many pple here, other hand alot of pple wanna keep jacking up prices to make $.

n d biggest driver for that = 6.9M. 1 hand many complain too many pple here, other hand alot of pple wanna keep jacking up prices to make $.

No, it's not 6.9M. The price already inflat before the white paper.

Biggest driver is everyone greed.

• Praise 2

It is not about high pay, it is right pay.

We had been artificially suppressing low-end wages (and the true cost of business) through alternative cheap labor.

It is not about high pay, it is right pay.

We had been artificially suppressing low-end wages (and the true cost of business) through alternative cheap labor.

Right pay is in tandem with our daily need. High property cost will result in higher living cost which result a need for higher pay as right pay.

If property did not inflat so much, we won't be discussing about higher pay.

Right pay is in tandem with our daily need. High property cost will result in higher living cost which result a need for higher pay as right pay.

If property did not inflat so much, we won't be discussing about higher pay.

Probably a bit chicken and egg.

My point is if it had been closer to the right pay to begin with, then original business cost would have been higher and limiting rental increases and hence property prices.

if we take things to the extreme, probably high food cost will result in a much healthier nation since everyone either eats lesser or cooks more often at home.

Not really. If hawker food prices go up so much, some will turn to McD or other fast food. Got food and drink for similar price to what some hawkers are charging for food alone. Better deal, so become fatter..

a) The lady could have been more tactful. But if childcare is the reason pushing it to 35% may not help much either . Could be the husband earning 2 x her current salary? So she is just supplementing the family income. She is specifically seeking an mundane job in this case so that she still have energy to attend to her child after work.?

b) Yes, its all about rent. Then we must ask who is the ultimate landlord. Monkey see monkey do.

c) The 69 position just makes it even easier to justify increasing rent & land price.

d) Its not solely greed. people in SG are aware that they're underpaid compared to their 1st world counterparts. In the event that they get the same, they probably work much longer hours. So their higher pay in effect is just mandated "auto approval" OT.

↡ Advertisement