Home-stay for holiday instead of Hotel? (AIRBNB)

BabyBlade

Taiwan Ming Sus are very common. We stayed in a couple before on our trip there 5 yr ago. But not sure whether the Ming Sus are the same as AirBnB, though.

The Ming Sus we stayed at, one of them was originally a big house that had some rooms converted/renovated for the guests' use, plus got some space converted into an eating area (equivalent of the restaurant of a hotel).

One at a farm, has 3-4 rooms only. We rented 2.

Another at Qing Jing, was really purpose-built to be a boutique hotel type. But it's apparently also called Ming Su. That one has quite a few blocks, each of which has a number of rooms, so i think it prob has about 10-15 rooms in all. Not likely to be originally one house converted to this.

We often bring my parents along for trips, so need to house 6. For last few trips, wife had read reviews extensively and booked AirBnB accommodation last year for Australia. Quite ok, the two places.

Btw, a taxi driver told us in Taipei, that Taiwan has lots of accommodation, and there's never a danger of 'cannot find a place to stay'. There are lots of hotels and ming sus, but we foreigners are not familiar so it might not be so easy for us to find...

↡ Advertisement

I don't mind trying Abnb if can share a

room with a young good looking Japanese

lady. Korea, Taiwan also can.

:D

• Praise 2

(edited)

In Taiwan should not be difficult to get a hotel room with 2 double.

I just did a quick search using Expedia.

hmm thanks. I can't remember which website i looked under which didn't show much.

Will use expedia to search.

Anyway I'm waiting for the farmstay to open for booking first, then I'll book my rooms around it.

[smash]

Plan is to stay in zhongli district inside taoyuan (closer to Leefoo) then take the train down to the farmstay. then move to taichung then back up to TP

Edited by Lala81

Ya.  Read reviews.

So far no problem for the Airbnb apartments that I have stayed in Bangkok, JB and Seoul. 

You sure no full HD CCTV inside the apartments ?  [:p]

• Praise 1

You sure no full HD CCTV inside the apartments ?  [:p]

I never check leh. Wahahahahaha.  Close one eye.  So far all the 3 that I stayed are female owners.

Actually hotels also can put if they want to wahahaahhaha

• Praise 1

I never check leh. Wahahahahaha.  Close one eye.  So far all the 3 that I stayed are female owners.

Actually hotels also can put if they want to wahahaahhaha

Female owners means won't install CCTVs ? tsk tsk ...  :D

For hotels I think they can't install CCTVs in rooms. Maybe up to corridors only for security and safety reasons. 

• Praise 3

(edited)

For hotels I think they can't install CCTVs in rooms. Maybe up to corridors only for security and safety reasons. 

hotel not say people cannot do fishy things.

But a hotel by nature, has several people working in shifts to do things. Something fishy like hidden cameras is likely to be more quickly discovered in a hotel.

Edited by Lala81

can lah, the chambermaid secretly hide mini camera in the room.  Wahhahahahaha.

But dun care lah.  close one eyes..... can see but cannot touch whahahahahaahhaa.

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Ya quite true.  After reading about racism on the airbnb's owners in the Europe and USA  as well as the fire in Grenfell Tower in England, I'll think twice.

They dislike Asians and we are Asians!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4694962/Airbnb-host-fined-cancelling-Asian-womans-reservation.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/07/10/an-airbnb-guest-was-late-checking-out-so-the-host-shoved-her-down-a-staircase-she-said/?utm_term=.b24aa43af5d5

China lagi worse, so many incidents of inferior building materials.   Better dun take the risks.

We've stayed in many AirBnBs in Europe.

Was in Italy for 3 weeks end of May early June this year and will be in Madrid end of this month.

Been using AirBnB for years.

In Australia last year for three weeks.

Never had any problem whatsoever.

Not even a raised eyebrow.

• Praise 1

Abnb is good when you travel in a family with young children. however, some are in location more difficult to find and no lift. 

I am now in one in Hakkodate. exterior looks really bad but interior is presently surprisingly neat. only downside is no aircon. lucky the weather here isnt too hot. 

dun play play with public housing.

Two Airbnb hosts charged over illegal home sharing in first case under new laws
PUBLISHEDDEC 5, 2017, 3:58 PM SGT
Ng Jun Sen

airbnb_collage_0.jpg?itok=1ffyX1sa
Terence Tan En Wei (left) and Yao Songliang face four charges each for renting out their private property to others for under six months. ST PHOTO: ONG WEE JIN

SINGAPORE - Two men were charged on Tuesday (Dec 5) over their roles in providing unauthorised short-term stays to tenants.

This is the first use of new regulations against home sharing since they kicked in on May 15.

Terence Tan En Wei, 35, and Yao Songliang, 34, face four charges each for renting out their private property to others for under six months. They are expected to plead guilty.

The Straits Times understands that the men had allegedly used popular home-sharing service Airbnb.

According to court documents, both men had allegedly worked together to rent out four units at D’Leedon condominium in Farrer Road to others for the short term without permission from the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA). 

According to the Council for Estate Agencies public register, the two men are property agents with Savills Residential.

Under the Planning Act, the new rules make it illegal for people to rent out, sublet or share their private homes with others for under six months. 

Following a 2015 public consultation by the URA, the bar was lowered to under three months for private homes from June 30 this year. For HDB flats, the minimum stay is still six months.

However, both Tan and Yao allegedly committed the offences before the three-month bar set in, so the earlier six-month rule still applies to them.

Court documents did not say how long they intended to rent out the units for, and were also unclear as to whether they were owners, occupiers or acting as property agents for the units.

The amendment renders the provision of short-term stays in return for payment a form of development.

Under the Planning Act, those who carry out or allow the development of any home, without approval from the Government, are liable to be fined up to $200,000.

Repeat offenders face jail time of up to a year, on top of the $200,000 fine.

Those convicted of the offence, but still continue to rent the unit out to others, can be fined up to $10,000 a day.

Owners of Housing Board flats are also liable to fines and getting their units repossessed.

URA prosecutor Douglas Neo said that as this was the first mention of the cases for the two men, more time was needed for prosecutors to prepare the cases.

The cases of Tan and Yao will be heard again next month. Both men were represented in court by Ms Wong Soo Chih of Ho Wong Law Practice.

URA is still considering a new class of private homes where short-term rentals are allowed. This means that the Airbnb model may still thrive here, though few details about this upcoming class of housing have emerged so far.

There are around 8,700 Singapore listings on Airbnb now, an increase from around 8,000 in February, before the changes kicked in.

Over the past year, the Singapore Airbnb community has hosted more than 330,000 travellers. There was a 40 per cent surge of guests arriving and using Airbnb in Singapore over the Formula 1 weekend in September.

PandaBed, another home-sharing platform, has around 300  listings too.

The URA received 608 complaints regarding short-term rentals last year, 61 per cent more than the 377 complaints in 2015.

National Development Minister Lawrence Wong has said the new law will allow the URA to “make sure that the issue does not worsen further”.

A URA spokesman said the law is meant to safeguard the living environment of neighbouring residents.

There were 985 cases of unauthorised short-term accommodation in private homes in 2015 and 2016, and about 750 from January to November this year. Most were in condominiums.

URA is typically informed of potential infringements either through feedback from neighbouring residents who have been affected by the unauthorised use or by the condominium’s managers, the spokesman added.

Not all cases end up in court – most offenders comply after they receive enforcement notices from URA. But recalcitrant offenders and those who blatantly disregard the regulations, even after URA action, face prosecution, said the spokesman.

A public consultation on the upcoming regulatory framework for short-term accommodation will be held when it is ready, but URA reminded private home owners to observe the three-month minimum stay duration rule for now.

In response to queries from The Straits Times, a spokesman for Airbnb said its model has helped Singapore’s economy, driving around $324 million of economic activity here in 2016.

“The current framework for home sharing in Singapore doesn’t reflect how Singaporeans travel or use their homes today. The current framework also stands in contrast with Singapore’s commitment to innovation,” said the spokesman.

She told The Straits Times that the company is helping locals earn supplementary income, with the average host earning $4,700 a year.

The spokesman said Airbnb wants to work with the Government to find a way to make home sharing to Singapore’s benefit.

HDB residents are also subject to stern penalties, such as fines and having their units repossessed if they let out their flats or bedrooms on a short-term basis.

All letting or subletting of HDB flats must also be approved by the Housing Board. Flat owners must also meet certain conditions, such as having fulfilled the five-year minimum occupation period.

“We take a very serious view of unauthorised rentals and will not hesitate to take action against those who flout the rules,” HDB wrote on its website.

Members of the public can report suspected cases of unauthorised rental or misuse of HDB flats on 1800-555-6370 from Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm. All information provided will remain confidential, said the HDB.

i seldom use bnb while traveling but did it when we were in south Africa and Iceland.

south Africa:

I only used bnb which is registered with the local bnb association with a bnb logo placed outside their house endorsed by the local organization. usually the host will stay in the house and prepare breakfast for their guests in the morning. cape town area has a lot of nice bnb. they are quite professional and able to provide you info on places to visit and even provide you the local maps.

Iceland:

we used airbnb when we travel around Iceland. host usually not staying in the house but maybe nearby. we had the entire house to ourselves with standard amenities. you can use the equipment for cooking and do your laundry.

you have to observe the local rule and behave yourselves by not disturbing the neighbouring residents, else police will be called to visit you.

depending on what you want for your holiday.

convenient, straight forward and safe >> a good hotel.

great local living experience >> bnb. (you may need to spend some extra traveling time to locate the bnb location).

till now, i didnt have a chance to use AirBnB.

Cos my flights pattern are always arrives early in the morning (example : 0060hrs) and departs late at night (example : 2300hrs).

And it will incur additional cost for early check-in and late check-out. After calculation, hotel is still a better choice.

↡ Advertisement