Fast & Furious star Paul Walker dies in car crash/F&F7

Vulcann

Was shocked about the news when I learnt it this morning. Really a pity as I really like his acting esp in f&f. Kinda sad that hollywood has lost a great actor. Wonder how f&f 7 will go. .. suppose to be last of the series and I don't think the ending well be complete without Paul.

Rip Paul.

Not a Ferrari...

It's a Porsche and judging by the wheels, the centre lock hub and the calipers, likely it's a Carrera GT.

No guesses required, the bonnet badge said it all.... Edited by Throttle2

RIP

He was a good cool actor..... and the cars he drove in the movies always have the extra beautiful feel even though it did not stand out as a great looker at first. They came alive the minute he took over the wheel. Probably he would have survived if he had been the driver here...hope he died on impact and fast without pain.

FnF will not be the same without you... may you find your ride in heaven.

Safe ride guys....and festive seasons round the corner, dun drink drive.

• Praise 3

RIP

He was a good cool actor..... and the cars he drove in the movies always have the extra beautiful feel even though it did not stand out as a great looker at first. They came alive the minute he took over the wheel. Probably he would have survived if he had been the driver here...hope he died on impact and fast without pain.

FnF will not be the same without you... may you find your ride in heaven.

Safe ride guys....and festive seasons round the corner, dun drink drive.

from what i read the driver was his good friend and a race car driver and i think he had great confidence in his friend's skill. Think he was the owner of a racing garage.

from what i read the driver was his good friend and a race car driver and i think he had great confidence in his friend's skill. Think he was the owner of a racing garage.

he owns a car customisation garage...not a racing garage....my bad!

Yeah, forgive and forget, live and let live. Someone ought to read this and not be angry.

Quote from American History X:

Hate is baggage. Life's too short to be pissed off all the time. It's just not worth it.

RIP Paul Walker. :(

This is the second prominent death (that I'm aware of) in a CGT. The first happened a few years back during a Ferrari track day in California, again when a passenger was killed and the widow sued. Lawsuit payout, US$4.5 million. Bulk of it against the driver and track owners, but 8% was paid by Porsche itself. Link: http://www.sportscarmarket.com/columns/legal-files/2108-carrera-gt-crash-settled-for-4-5-million

This part is rather interesting:

At a previous event, the FOC President and organizer had been warned by one of their vehicle certifiers that he believed that something was wrong with the handling of Keaton's car and it should not be allowed to run. They let it into that event anyway, and it spun out three to four times-one time the event organizer was even on board and became nauseous. But he didn't tell anyone about the warnings and did not exclude Keaton from that event. (As you will see below, it appears the concerns the mechanic had were related to the oversteer inherent in the design of the car, not to any particular mechanical defect.)

(Bolded emphasis mine).

Basically, the CGT oversteers - and this can be very unexpected, and at exactly the wrong moment. It can kill an amateur driver easily, and even experienced drivers are not immune. It's not been nicknamed "The Widow Maker" for nothing. Actually, more than one Porsche model has been given that moniker, which should tell the unwary something of the brutal nature of the marque, and why one should never get too cozy with a higher-end Porsche.

Edited by Turboflat4

porsche carrera gt sales will be jialat liao?

Haha...It's only a one time production in limited numbers, much like Ferrari models. I think it's the only road production Porsche with a V10 engine.

RIP Paul Walker. :(

This is the second prominent death (that I'm aware of) in a CGT. The first happened a few years back during a Ferrari track day in California, again when a passenger was killed and the widow sued. Lawsuit payout, US$4.5 million. Bulk of it against the driver and track owners, but 8% was paid by Porsche itself. Link: http://www.sportscarmarket.com/columns/legal-files/2108-carrera-gt-crash-settled-for-4-5-million

This part is rather interesting:

(Bolded emphasis mine).

Basically, the CGT oversteers - and this can be very unexpected, and at exactly the wrong moment. It can kill an amateur driver easily, and even experienced drivers are not immune. It's not been nicknamed "The Widow Maker" for nothing. Actually, more than one Porsche model has been given that moniker, which should tell the unwary something of the brutal nature of the marque, and why one should never get too cozy with a higher-end Porsche.

I think it could be the tires. There are very limited options when it comes to this model. I read that for a couple of years the owners of the CGT were still on their 1st set of tires coz there were no such size available. Until recently Porsche work with Michelin again to give the owners one choice. LoL...

So it could be that CGt they were driving were either on a set of old tires or custom modified wheels to suit available tires in the market. If the car was on custom modified wheels and tires it could alter the handling characteristics of the car.

RWD supercars characteristics are inherently bound to oversteer.

I think it could be the tires. There are very limited options when it comes to this model. I read that for a couple of years the owners of the CGT were still on their 1st set of tires coz there were no such size available. Until recently Porsche work with Michelin again to give the owners one choice. LoL...

So it could be that CGt they were driving were either on a set of old tires or custom modified wheels to suit available tires in the market. If the car was on custom modified wheels and tires it could alter the handling characteristics of the car.

RWD supercars characteristics are inherently bound to oversteer.

The old trackday accident I cited had many contributory causes. The new one with Paul Walker - noone can be sure right now.

Tyres/wheels/possum-doing-the-100m-sprint-across-the-road - it's all just speculation at this point.