Garmin GDR35 or Itronics ITB-100HD or THINKWARE FXD900

Lucky888

I am looking for a good car camcorder. Thinking between Garmin GDR35 or Itronics ITB-100HD or THINKWARE FXD900. which do you think is better?

Some questions:

1) Does the Garmin GDR35 have parking mode? Meaning when the car is unattended, it will records whenever it detect a collision? I understand it have a G sensor but does it records when it detect a collision while being park?

2) Do these camera have a built-in battery so that it can detects collision while unattended? Or does it had to be "hard-wired"?

3) What do "hard-wired" means? Does it means that the camera is connected straight to the car battery so that it draws power from the car battery even when car is parked?

I went to my car workshop and ask to connect my car camera to the car battery but the workshop seems clueless as to how it can be done. DO i need to go to specialized shop?

↡ Advertisement

I'm using itb100 with power magic for 11 months, w/o any issues. it does have a parking mode and detect any movement and record.

don't know about other models and brands though.

installed for 500, with installation..(maybe kanna carrot), but it does not give me problems from the day i install till now.

U may go for Itronics ITB-100HD. i have been using for 7 months. till today i do not have any problem, everything seems fine. i bought it @ Car beauty center (kaki bukit autobay). for $420 inclusive On/off switch & 32gb memory card. About the wiring & battery, not to worry when parking. U can just let it on it will detect any motion when parking and does not consume much battery. Gd deal after all. ,")

Regarding built-in battery in car dvr, it has pros and cons. There are car dvr models that have built-in cells and there are those that don't, for very good reasons. Nowadays I usually look for those that don't have built-in Lithium cells as the pros very much outweigh the cons.

Pros of having built-in battery: convenient. If you plug the dvr into a socket that is switched off when you shut down car elec system, it provides some juice to carry on recording for a while. Usually not enough for overnight recording though. Also, you can remove the car dvr and use it as as a mobile dvr outside of car. This is actually redundant as most ppl carry handphone with better camera.

Pros of not having built-in battery: Better safety and reliability

Car dvrs almost always use lithium based secondary cells. These are inherently more hazardous cells compared to other common cells like lead acid. They are prone to suffer from thermal runaway and catch fire, especially in singapore temperatures. Think boeing 787 dreamliner and tesla electric car fires, just to name some of the recent high profile ones.

If you park under hot sun everyday, other than fire safety issues, there is reliability as well. Lithium battery when subjected to longterm high temperatures don't last very well. One of the common failure modes is outgassing of the electrolyte which causes the cells to swell. They loses capacity easily and once the cell fails, the whole dvr is gone as it is not easy for a layman to remove and resolder the cell.

Did you "hard-wired" the car camera?

Is your camera connected straight to the car battery so that it draws power from the car battery even when car is parked? I went to my Workshop and they do not know how this is done?

U may go for Itronics ITB-100HD. i have been using for 7 months. till today i do not have any problem, everything seems fine. i bought it @ Car beauty center (kaki bukit autobay). for $420 inclusive On/off switch & 32gb memory card. About the wiring & battery, not to worry when parking. U can just let it on it will detect any motion when parking and does not consume much battery. Gd deal after all. ,")

Did you "hard-wired" the car camera?

Is your camera connected straight to the car battery so that it draws power from the car battery even when car is parked? I went to my Workshop and they do not know how this is done?

Regarding built-in battery in car dvr, it has pros and cons. There are car dvr models that have built-in cells and there are those that don't, for very good reasons. Nowadays I usually look for those that don't have built-in Lithium cells as the pros very much outweigh the cons.

Pros of having built-in battery: convenient. If you plug the dvr into a socket that is switched off when you shut down car elec system, it provides some juice to carry on recording for a while. Usually not enough for overnight recording though. Also, you can remove the car dvr and use it as as a mobile dvr outside of car. This is actually redundant as most ppl carry handphone with better camera.

Pros of not having built-in battery: Better safety and reliability

Car dvrs almost always use lithium based secondary cells. These are inherently more hazardous cells compared to other common cells like lead acid. They are prone to suffer from thermal runaway and catch fire, especially in singapore temperatures. Think boeing 787 dreamliner and tesla electric car fires, just to name some of the recent high profile ones.

If you park under hot sun everyday, other than fire safety issues, there is reliability as well. Lithium battery when subjected to longterm high temperatures don't last very well. One of the common failure modes is outgassing of the electrolyte which causes the cells to swell. They loses capacity easily and once the cell fails, the whole dvr is gone as it is not easy for a layman to remove and resolder the cell.

Hi bro. not really sure about this hard wired thingy. But Yes bro. My Camera is connected straight to the battery. They fix for me an additional switch for me to turn on/off in case i do not need them to run 24 hours. so far i have let my camera running for 4 days due to go overseas and parked without any warm up the engine. i just start as normal after went back from overseas. No issue of starting problem bro. U may try to go car beauty for the best advice.