Yokohama Advan DB v551

Surf2004

could it be because the grip of PS3 and PSS sending mix signal to the car computer hence the DSTC kicks in?

how is the wet griip of the V551?

It could be, but isn't the less grippy tyre (PS3) supposed to be even grippier than the Yoko Advan dB? It could be a possibility still, together with the slightly wider profile of the tyre (235 vs 245).

↡ Advertisement

Clutched

My car was fitted with Yokohama Advan DB v551. It was quiet but the grip was not great in wet condition. I could feel the ABS working hard during sharp braking during downpour. I recently fitted Michelin Primacy 3 ST. Found it as quiet but grip is better in cornering and wet condition. More pricy though.

(edited)

You changed the tyre size and how about on wet or dry condition?

I am also curious about your experience

Dry grip - Yoko can corner faster because DSTC doesn't trigger. I take frequent drives up the NSHW to Genting especially, and the tyres just grip hard. High speed stability felt better too, maybe because of the wider profile? (up to speeds of 240km/h, average 180-200km/h)

Wet grip - Almost as good as PSS in hydroplaning. Hydroplaning is scary and the PSS just doesn't cuts through past 80km/h. Same for the Yoko. No problems with wet braking either. I have not experienced any skidding on wet roads, and braking feels every bit as confident as the Michelins.

Noise - Has a constant noise pattern that is audible at 90-100km/h but once past that, the road noise takes over. But it definitely is quieter than the PSS. It may be irritating initially, but the noise pattern is non existent after 10,000km.

Comfort - Surprisingly stiff side walls, maybe that's why it is under the Advan family (sports). Ride is slightly softer at same tyre pressure.

Wear rate - Better than PSS. My PSS was tearing all over already when i changed them at 27000km, probably due to my driving style. The Yokos are still very very good at 15000km, no visible tears.

Many people have asked why am i on such lousy tyres. To be honest, when I decided on the Yokos, i was stepping into unchartered territory and had low expectations as there were few reviews on them by daily drivers. However I have been pleasantly surprised by how great this tyre is, and furthermore it is Made in Japan. Given that this is tyre is under the Advan family, I think all of you who are considering this tyre can be assured it doesn't perform poorly in terms of wet and dry grip.

For my next set of tyres, I will be trying something else though. [:p]

My car - Volvo S60 T6 R-Design 330bhp 480Nm

post-35831-0-26004400-1398941013_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eugn86

just put on the advan db v551 245/40/19

nice and quiet

review after a while

Bro, can you share where you bought this? called a few place all dont have 18inch

ALL Along yokohama advan sport (v103 start) is a good tyre in terms performance

it is just general impression is lower grade tyre because of lower image.(put the made in japan aside)

Falken got this model fk453 also made in japan but do not have good feed back

Anyone current on the v552? Any feedback?

i've changed two tyres for the front

Used it for about two weeks. 

Soft, and quiet. Love it much.

Fuel consumption is slightly improved by about perhaps 0.5l/km. Will monitor.

thanks for the feedback. how about braking? especially in the wet.

i've changed two tyres for the front

Used it for about two weeks. 

Soft, and quiet. Love it much.

Fuel consumption is slightly improved by about perhaps 0.5l/km. Will monitor.

thanks for the feedback. how about braking? especially in the wet.

i am not able to test it in the wet that much but will update here once i have more experience with the wet roads.

For normal braking in the dry and wet, likewise i cannot advise as i don't drive fast. My feel is that the braking distance is not as good as the stock Nexans (don't know which model now) but does not seem much worse when compared to the Nexans.

The quietness of the tyres is quite discernible and i am happy with my purchase. My wife can tell that the car is quieter now too.

i am not able to test it in the wet that much but will update here once i have more experience with the wet roads.

For normal braking in the dry and wet, likewise i cannot advise as i don't drive fast. My feel is that the braking distance is not as good as the stock Nexans (don't know which model now) but does not seem much worse when compared to the Nexans.

The quietness of the tyres is quite discernible and i am happy with my purchase. My wife can tell that the car is quieter now too.

Can check where did you get the v552 from?

Any major highlight and low light?

Thanks in advance for advise 

Can check where did you get the v552 from?

Any major highlight and low light?

Thanks in advance for advise 

The price is normal. No discount. it is in Toh Tuck.

Would not exactly recommend. But they do order for you when you ask for it, since they also know Fred of Soundflux.

1. Soft and quiet - i switch off my car audio quite often nowadays just to relax and talk.

2. Fuel economy - slight improvement - not exactly significant - 0.5l/100km improvement.

Dislike:

1. Once when doing cornering, the car seemed to momentary slip a bit. Due to oil? Still trying to replicate it.

The price is normal. No discount. it is in Toh Tuck.

Would not exactly recommend. But they do order for you when you ask for it, since they also know Fred of Soundflux.

1. Soft and quiet - i switch off my car audio quite often nowadays just to relax and talk.

2. Fuel economy - slight improvement - not exactly significant - 0.5l/100km improvement.

Dislike:

1. Once when doing cornering, the car seemed to momentary slip a bit. Due to oil? Still trying to replicate it.

HI Bro,

Thanks for feedback, had called a few shops, they do not carry stock and have to place in order.

Will consider this tyre, maybe two at a time. Did your tire shop do alignment after change?  

HI Bro,

Thanks for feedback, had called a few shops, they do not carry stock and have to place in order.

Will consider this tyre, maybe two at a time. Did your tire shop do alignment after change?  

I did not as the two i replaced seemed fine although one had uneven wear. I did a rotation. If the tire at the same location gives the same problem, i will do alignment.

If your old tires are not unevenly worn, i don't think you need

Twincharged
(edited)

Anyone tried Yokohama blu earth tyres? I just got 2 front wheels fitted.

This tyre grip no good.. Will activate traction control easially when press hard on accelerator on wet surface. Need to be abit careful especially when driving on raining days.

The good point about this tyre is fuel saving.. Not for speeding and do fast cornering. If you are the type that drive slow and steady then this tyre is okay..

Edited by Yewheng

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

HI Bro,

Incase you need more workshops that carry the ADVAN series, you can find it here: https://yhiautomotive.com.sg/dealers-network-tyres/#eluidfe0937d7_0

Edited by bryanngjy

Anyone recently change to Advan DB V552.

Any feedback?

Saw one of the ads here, price look very attractive.

↡ Advertisement