• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
75 replies to this topic | 114 praises

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

Carnoob
  • Premium member
    Carnoob
    Turbocharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Anyone had tried using power bank as the alternative power source when car engine is off? Just wondering as seen on website people selling car cam with power bank. Is it easier than to use car battery which you would need to wire the car cam? But would it be safer?

1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

Sompong
  • Sompong
    Neutral Newbie
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Been using T Power for months, one charge can last 14hours.

2 Anonymous members praised this

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

Kurty
  • Premium member
    Kurty
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

How is it being done? Which is better, external or car battery?
bluey Tiko Ranger

I have a pen, I have an apple..

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

TVT
  • Premium member
    TVT
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Both methods got good and bad. Its up to individual preferences.

For me, I would prefer to use a power bank.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

Lazy_chai
  • Lazy_chai
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

I use power bank for GPS as well.  [:)]

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

Sompong
  • Sompong
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Bad is you have to charge the power bank everyday.
good is it wont drain yr car battery.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

Solar
  • Premium member
    Solar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Both methods got good and bad. Its up to individual preferences.

For me, I would prefer to use a power bank.

how big is the power bank needed to to be able to at least last overnight? 

i ever used a 12000ma one, but dried up in a few hours.. probably the china one gave a kelong rating..

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

TVT
  • Premium member
    TVT
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

how big is the power bank needed to to be able to at least last overnight? 

i ever used a 12000ma one, but dried up in a few hours.. probably the china one gave a kelong rating..

Sorry, but I haven't use any power bank before. I just replied that I would prefer to use power bank, if given a choice....

:D

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

Arjohn
  • Arjohn
    Clutched
    Author Image

I been using 10000ma power bank, last time use on blackvue carcam can last about 20hr. Now use on marbella mx6 can only last about 12hr. I always leave my cam on motion detection mode. The power bank i use also cheapo type only $30, From Worldwide computer shop in sim lim.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

Ladykillerz
  • Premium member
    Ladykillerz
    Supercharged
    Author Image

but using power bank is kinda troublesome.

one has to remember to bring the power bank home to charge and its like a daily job?

what if you are not driving for a few days and i am doubtful that the power bank can last that long.

how about getting another car battery and just for the cam? anyone did this?

Ladykillerz
The Sky's The Limit! [angel]

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

Pes70
  • Premium member
    Pes70
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

I set my car cam to power off either after 24hr or when the battery falls below 12v. About a month ago, found that the cam always powers off after 12hrs, especially when parked under hot sun, so I take it as a sign that the car battery is dying (about 2yr old). Then I change the battery to a 60AH battery and now things are back to normal. In this way, the car cam can be used to tell you about the state of your car battery.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:33 PM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

one has to remember to bring the power bank home to charge and its like a daily job?

what if you are not driving for a few days and i am doubtful that the power bank can last that long.

Car batteries are not built for deep discharged. Draining it constantly without charging will shorten its life.

It also need to be mounted in a correct position sitting straight up. If you tilt it sideways, acid may spill out.

Other types of batteries such as SLA are more suitable for car cam.

These type of batteries and "power banks" can also be charged by plugging in to the dc socket, when your engine is running, or alternatively bring it to a AC charger.

Yewheng praised this

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:10 AM

Kwchan
  • Premium member
    Kwchan
    5th Gear
    Author Image

those USB power bank produce only 5V from the USB

but my camera need 12V, how?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
由於天雨路滑,請駕車人士小心駕駛,減低行車速度,並與前面車輛保持較長的距離。

為安全理由,駕車人士行車時亦應亮著車頭燈以增加能見度,及在轉線期間留意路面交通情況。*/

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

Yeobh
  • Yeobh
    Supercharged
    Author Image

If you want to use lead acid battery, I suggest you use deep cycle ( AGM or gel sealed) battery. If you know your cam wattage, then it is very easy to compute the battery amp hr depending on how frequent you wish to charge the battery directly from a standalone charger . You have to have a charger that is able to charger deep cycle battery ( aka traction battery )

Visit My Facebook for the latest automotive breaking news & innovative specialty tools.

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

StreamRSZ
  • Premium member
    StreamRSZ
    5th Gear
    Author Image

I set my car cam to power off either after 24hr or when the battery falls below 12v. About a month ago, found that the cam always powers off after 12hrs, especially when parked under hot sun, so I take it as a sign that the car battery is dying (about 2yr old). Then I change the battery to a 60AH battery and now things are back to normal. In this way, the car cam can be used to tell you about the state of your car battery.

previously what battery amp are you using before you replace it to a 60ah?

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

Amazon777
  • Amazon777
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Are u using thinkware DVR

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

Pes70
  • Premium member
    Pes70
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

I am using itronics ITB100HD and the car battery was 45ah.

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

Gearosv2
  • Premium member
    Gearosv2
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Hi there,

I am thinking about doing the same setup. Do you have to keep plugging in and out the USB cable? How do you connect?

Car Cig->USB adaptor->power bank->dash cam that is compatible to 5v?

Thanks.

I been using 10000ma power bank, last time use on blackvue carcam can last about 20hr. Now use on marbella mx6 can only last about 12hr. I always leave my cam on motion detection mode. The power bank i use also cheapo type only $30, From Worldwide computer shop in sim lim.

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

Arjohn
  • Arjohn
    Clutched
    Author Image

Hi Gearosv2,
I did not connect to cig charger, just direct from power bank to cam. I have a few powerbank so i exchange and bring home to charge. Yes it is very troublesome, but already use to it. Your suggested way of connection is not a bad idea. However, 2 issues 1)if the power bank become flat, your 1 hr drive will not be able to charge up the powerbank much, 2)I think that recharging the powerbank if it is not flat will degrade the powerbank ( this also depend on the type of material the powerbank is made of).

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

Bioinformatics
  • Premium member
    Bioinformatics
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

those USB power bank produce only 5V from the USB

but my camera need 12V, how?

Any Bro, got answer?

Back to Accessories  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: car cam, power bank, powerbank and 3 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users