Using power bank with Car Cam

Carnoob

Supercharged

bought a power bank, but the inputs and output is an issue for me, I want to ask anyone out there how to over come it. The power bank comes with USB heads, but the car camera is with cigarette lighter adapter. how do i get a male cigarette lighter head to a USB input to the power bank and also a USB output head to a female cigarette lighter adapter?

Anyone can advice?

u need this type of cable... google "3.5mm x 1.35mm to usb"... sim lim sure have...

↡ Advertisement

I am not against using power banks with Li-base secondary cells in the car.

I just want to point out that such cells have higher risk of fire due to their inherent chemical properties compared to batteries of other chemistry like lead acid. Just make sure you are aware of the risks and accept it.

The more cells and higher capacity you have, the higher the risk.

Famous examples are Boeing 787 dreamliner and Tesla electric cars. These are highly sophisticated systems that have comprehensive built-in protection systems to mitigate the risks when mishap occurs.

I started a thread sometime ago to discuss the fire hazard of Li batteries.

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2688631-lithium-battery-fire-hazards-in-our-cars/?do=findComment&comment=4853182

You can mitigate the risk by ensuring the usage of good quality products from reputable brands. Avoid cheap products from no-name brands. At the cell level, check for safety certification like UL1642.

I currently use Itronics ITB-100sp and Vicovation tf2+ in my car which do not have built-in Lithium battery.

I am not against using Li batteries or power banks employing them. I am for using them safely and using safer alternatives if possible.

• Praise 3

Supercharged

bought a power bank, but the inputs and output is an issue for me, I want to ask anyone out there how to over come it. The power bank comes with USB heads, but the car camera is with cigarette lighter adapter. how do i get a male cigarette lighter head to a USB input to the power bank and also a USB output head to a female cigarette lighter adapter?

Anyone can advice?

splice the wire and make your own with USB connector parts?

you can find a whole list of DIY sites that teaches you how to do it.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks TVT, Xers007 & ahgong for your sharing... will explore the options.

Most car cam comes with both a USB cable and a 12V socket head (cigarette adapter). Yours don't have the USD cable ?

Mine, only came with 12V socket. didn't have USB. :(

Supercharged

Thanks TVT, Xers007 & ahgong for your sharing... will explore the options.

Mine, only came with 12V socket. didn't have USB. :(

Does your camera set has a USB socket ? If have can buy a USB cable (both sides USB) and plug in....

Anyway there's sure to be some kind of adapter to solve this issue. A visit to a electrical or auto accessory should be able to find it. Good luck. [:)]

Neutral Newbie

Does your camera set has a USB socket ? If have can buy a USB cable (both sides USB) and plug in....

Anyway there's sure to be some kind of adapter to solve this issue. A visit to a electrical or auto accessory should be able to find it. Good luck. [:)]

Thanks Bro... will continue to search around for the right solution :)

Lol...seriously. .was actually want to see pictures if any one has managed to hide the wires....

U serious? Just plug the cable into powerbank from the car cam [dizzy]

I used xiaomi 16000mah for the cam after car parked. Can last roughly 3 to 4 days. I find it troublesome as the port batt cant gain much charging during driving as only drive about 1-1.5hr per day.

Infact 16000mah is rated for 3.7v. If based on 5v which is the car cam, the actual cap is only about 10000mah. Say the cam is 1A at 5v=5watts of power needed.

10000mah=10Ah

Batt cap =10Ah x 5V=50Wh.

50Wh/5watts=10hrs only.

At best the batt can last one overnight.

previouusly i am using a secondary motorcycle battery in my boot.

Yuasa YTX14

working great !!!

now i change to those deep cycle battery i bought from Sim lim tower. even better.

previouusly i am using a secondary motorcycle battery in my boot.

Yuasa YTX14

working great !!!

now i change to those deep cycle battery i bought from Sim lim tower. even better.

Yr deep cycle battery will last longer in between charging if you us a deep cycle battery charger as conventional battery charger may no be able to fully charge the battery.

Supercharged

Where you place your deep cycle battery?

I used xiaomi 16000mah for the cam after car parked. Can last roughly 3 to 4 days. I find it troublesome as the port batt cant gain much charging during driving as only drive about 1-1.5hr per day.

Infact 16000mah is rated for 3.7v. If based on 5v which is the car cam, the actual cap is only about 10000mah. Say the cam is 1A at 5v=5watts of power needed.

10000mah=10Ah

Batt cap =10Ah x 5V=50Wh.

50Wh/5watts=10hrs only.

At best the batt can last one overnight.

Hi, need to ask electrical shifu here if i connect 1st power bank to 2nd power bank then connect the car camera to 2nd power bank, will the 2 power banks able to last two times longer than if only 1 power bank is used? :huh: Thanks in advance.

↡ Advertisement