Pineapple Tarts For CNY, any recommendation?

missmarigold

Tried the above tarts before..

Tasteless crust n very sweet fillings..

Can't get any worse of all the tarts I've tried before..

Looks like brought over from bolehland n repackaged here..

Avoid at all costs ....

besides IT, it appears that stuff like mooncakes, pineapple tarts also have OEMs.  :D

my personal favourite is the one made by the folks at The Hiding Place.  :wub:

↡ Advertisement

We have been baking ourselves for the past 2 years, very satisfying experience. We bought the pineapple paste from Phoon Huat, the TOP grade one, which is not too sweet or sour for us. Each round (oven load) can bake about 50 - 60+ tarts.

Can keep for close to 2 weeks, but we will finish it well before that.

This one is our first try. Couldn't find the photos for the last batch we baked.

2rqf5.jpg

2i9rtop.jpg

• Praise 10

As shared earlier, I am using this pineapple paste from Phoon Huat, quite good in texture and taste for the amount we paid. There about 3 type / grade to choose from, and this is the best one imo.

2uf8xgk.jpg

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 8

We always buy in JB.

Try a lot of stalls and decide on the best.

Off to Malacca tomorrow so will prolly buy from there this year.

One bakery at the opposite end of Jonkers from the river cooks on the spot and the taste is great.

There are a lot of bakeries in that area so always try them all before finalising.

Fair play to the tart seller I usually buy from in Malacca.

Was gonna buy quite a few tubs but she told the missus that they will only last a max of two weeks even in airtight containers and then they would be stale.

Pity.

• Praise 1

Fair play to the tart seller I usually buy from in Malacca.

Was gonna buy quite a few tubs but she told the missus that they will only last a max of two weeks even in airtight containers and then they would be stale.

Pity.

buy back and put in the freezer, cny take out and heat up a bit or leave it in the room temperature for few hours can liao.

buy back and put in the freezer, cny take out and heat up a bit or leave it in the room temperature for few hours can liao.

you do know that this is conceptually wrong right. 

I know we do this with a lot of foods. Certainly it's better than just leaving it out in the open. And i know we do this for the chicken or fish we get from the supermarket or wet market but the bacteria may potentially already be in the food.

You may get away with it most of the time, but the one time it happens, I'm sure you will regret it.

Anyway there's certainly a change in taste. Cos your freezer isn't an industrial freezer, what happens is the paste inside will freeze irregularly. So when it's thawed out, certainly it will change the consistency and taste. This freezing would work better on something like bak kwa cos there isnt much moisture inside, or at least certainly not a paste inside.

Thanks. may try this out one day when I'm more free.

Got a recipe to follow?

As shared earlier, I am using this pineapple paste from Phoon Huat, quite good in texture and taste for the amount we paid. There about 3 type / grade to choose from, and this is the best one imo.

Edited by Lala81

I bought pineapple tarts from Joyous pastries previously and thought it was of a good standard but have not bought from them for a couple of years already so this year thought of buying again but I'm not sure if it still tastes nice? BTW, their almond cookies are also nice [thumbsup]  

• Praise 4

I know we do this with a lot of foods. Certainly it's better than just leaving it out in the open. And i know we do this for the chicken or fish we get from the supermarket or wet market but the bacteria may potentially already be in the food.

You may get away with it most of the time, but the one time it happens, I'm sure you will regret it.

Anyway there's certainly a change in taste. Cos your freezer isn't an industrial freezer, what happens is the paste inside will freeze irregularly. So when it's thawed out, certainly it will change the consistency and taste. This freezing would work better on something like bak kwa cos there isnt much moisture inside, or at least certainly not a paste inside.

maybe not freezer but fridge can? i do put pastry in the fridge to extend the shelve life, those go into the freezer usually end up in the bins  [laugh]  [laugh]

maybe not freezer but fridge can? i do put pastry in the fridge to extend the shelve life, those go into the freezer usually end up in the bins  [laugh]  [laugh]

If u want to extend by a few days or what, by all means. Extend 2-3 weeks i think not wise lah. [laugh]

I notice many ppl just avoiding eating any of the goodies. End up in the bin or I try to eat them. Waste food.

U can always get the healthy snacks like pistachios/sunflower seeds.

Now most people try not to gorge during CNY.

But if got something really ho jiak, sure sapu finish one [nod]   [laugh]

U can always get the healthy snacks like pistachios/sunflower seeds.

Now most people try not to gorge during CNY.

But if got something really ho jiak, sure sapu finish one [nod]   [laugh]

That's true but most likely they are not the regular new year goodies if it's good.

That's the difference btw doctor for the living person

vs

doctor for the not living person

I'm interested with your reply and freezer stuff.

I bought two large live crabs from our wet market because of the good price and the fact that the wet market was closed for a week for cleaning and I wanted to cook them 6 days later so I put them in the freezer.

Very disappointed with the result.  The texture of the crab flesh was very soft.

I wondered if this was that the crabs were poor quality which I doubt because they were very lively when bought or the fact that they were in the freezer for 6 days.

Any comment??

↡ Advertisement